Looking to speak to retired person or couple from US

I have been doing my research, but still not getting the answers I need. I am retired from the military and have a pension.  I have a converted Van that I live in full time so my overhead is really low.

I am planning on shipping my van and checking everything out. But still have questions, like what type of Visa should I get and do I apply for extended stay here or over there?

I know I will need an address and have been looking at residential caravan parks, but will they except that?

Any Help would be great.
Thanks,
Kim Mason

Us too. We are looking to buy a place in Scotland and remain very confused as to how to go about staying in Scotland long term. We are self sufficient and don't need support from the Scottish councils or NHS although we have had wonderful experiences with them. If you find out where to go and how to apply or even what to apply for, lease let us know.

I found a website that said you get a visitors visa and then apply for a extension of stay, once your there.

I tried to find the site again but couldn't. I'll keep looking.

Kim

Hi all and welcome to the Forum.

First off, you need to understand that the UK does not offer retirement visas to anybody from any country.  You either come here to work (for which you will require a work visa; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that lists all such visas), or you come here as a visitor/tourist, for which you can stay for up to 6 months in any 12 month period; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that lists all such visas.  You'll notice when you follow those links that there are other visas I haven't mentioned, mainly because from what you've said here, you would not qualify for any of these, but perhaps there is something of which I'm not aware, so also check those out as well.

As for living in a mobile/tiny home; in the UK, this is controlled by the local government and to be honest, you'd be forgiven for thinking they don't support such a lifestyle.  Many councils have a statutory requirement to provide such sites for the UK's own travelling community/Romanies/Gypsies, but these are in the main not anything like the public spaces available to you in the US.

I think if you park it on an existing campsite, nobody will have an issue, but the UK is not like the US where you have many publicly accessible areas where you can just park up and live off-grid.  Without going into any detail, Covid has made this even harder.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team