How to make friends in Scotland

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Scotland :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Scotland??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I am interested too to find the answer of your question...

Hi!  I am new here on the boards, but my "best tips" are:
- take a class...just seeing people over and over week after week is a good way to meet people of similar interests.  2 of the best friends I've ever had are people Imet on a course in Glasgow

- join a group that has similar interests...I run crafternoons in Stirling, there are a ton of walking groups, mountaineering groups. 

-Volunteer

- if you have kids, find a good local playgroup (usually free or very inexpensive).  Try a few, because some can be pretty bad.

If you are going to a group, remember that it takes 4 visits for people to see you as a regular and not just a visitor.

- talk to your neighbours.  We became really good friends with ours because I am incessant baker and just kept dropping of baked goods so we wouldn't get too fat. we also go to the community council meetings to just show our faces (and to complain about dog doo in the park)

OK, so I kind of waffled, but you get my point!

:up:

I found the answer straigth away. When I first moved in Dundee I went down my local pub and the minute I ordered two or three chaps in there were already talking to me and one even paid me a pint. To be honest I was not expecting that after my years down in England (let the fight begin) and I was greatly surprised.

I think the best way of meeting people is just talking to them. Scots are, in my humble opinion, very friendly.

E.

I agree. I've found that most people are quite friendly and will try to make you feel welcome and offering to buy a Scot a pint is usually a winner

I'm from Scotland and I agree the best place to meet people is in a pub. Don't know what that says about the Scots but its true. Generally though people are friendly just about anywhere so you just need to strike up a conversation.

I spent 12 years in england, and recently moved to glasgow... people just wont stop talking to me!! I always have my map with me while I walk as i like to get to remember the roads, for driving later... and everyone is just so nice, and asks me if im lost!! and even want to walk me to where im going..

I also find the pubs a great place to meet people!! Scotts rock, Im ever so glad I moved here.

Lads and Lassies,

I'm David Britt. I'm a Scotsman born in Brazil...Interesting eh?

I'm studying history here in Brazil and my field is Scottish history (Wars of independence).

I lived in Britain from 2004 to 2007, but I want to live in Glasgow as soon as I finish my graduation and get my Master in Scotland....

I'm here to make good friends, because we can build a lovely relationship...

Gospeed...

hello i am mohamed tunisian just moved to scotland wanna have friends,my email;[email protected]

I AM EMON. I NEED SCOTISH FRIENDS AND WANT TO LIVE IN SCOTLAND.

Hello EMON > Would you mind lowering capslock while writing on the forum please? Thanks. Karen :)

Karen
okay . I will try.

The art of manliness made a very interesting article about making new friends: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/1 … -new-city/
As welcoming as the Scots are, they can be a bit clannish, so by certain aspects it's much easier to connect with other expats:
http://www.meetup.com/Glasgow-xpats/

I know when I Spent 6 months in Scotland with my now husband we went to a pub an they had soccer on the tv an i made the mistake of calling it sissy soccer i didn't think anyone haerd me but Robin well I was wrong lol everyone ended up nick naming me America. Now every time Robin goes in they ask when I'm coming back

Hi it really good to be friendly,remember all works and no play make you a dull person,i need friends both male and female

Hello lawal lawanill senesie,

Please note that the thread has been inactive since 2013. I would suggest that you start a new one in case you have questions or for networking purposes in the adequate forum since your IP says Sierra leone and this is the Scotland forum.

Regards,
Gavind.

In Glasgow we are very open to meeting our guests! If you ever see me walking on the street, a smile, winknor 'hello!' Is more than enough :)

Hi guys, I am planning on moving to Scotland as soon as I have enough money saved for it. It is going to be a huge step for me since I am only 22. I am a photographer and love editing and retouching photographs and film! I was wondering if as an American I could move to Scotland and work in any of the above mentioned?

Hello, I Need A Friend

Hello, hoping to network with a few folks while I try to move to Scotland. I'm not looking for any particular age group or gender, and I think it would be good to get advice from as many people as I can.

Hey man

I just wanted to know to how life is in Scotland. Is it too busy or quiet ?