Owning a car in Scotland

Hello,

So I wish to know where to buy a car close from Perth or Aberdeen that would be cheap and easy to buy.

Can someone tell me what paperwork needs to be done (insurances, regulations...)?

Are there specific requirements?

How much is the insurance?

Thanks for your help!

An EU licence would be valid but insurance companies may hike premiums.
You must get insured to be legal.
Minimum insurance is third party only but any loss or damage to your car in the event of a your fault accident is your problem.
All UK cars must have an MOT test every year after three  years old so make sure you buy a newly tested vehicle.

Scottish weather can add difficulties such as ice and snow in winter, so watch out for problems.

Second hand cars are easy to find, starting right HERE

If you are buying a 2nd hand car it is also joining a breakdown recovery company for just piece of mind. You can also use their services to check the car over if you are buying privately.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you are unsure about car buying, then the Motoring Associations (AA and RAC) offer a car inspection service that will provide you with a full technical report of the car; they won't add any value to the car, but may well save you from buying something that you later regret.

If you want to check if the value of the car is what it's really worth, then it may be worthwhile checking out Glass's price guides; this link will take you to their website.  It's used by the motor trade to value 2nd hand cars.  You won't be able to get a price at that price, but you'll see how much markup they are putting on the car and what you can realistically negotiate them down too.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Dear  Fred,

Thank you for your answer.

Would you be able to tell me how much it would cost approximately?

If I take a basic car around 3000£, I have no idea  about insurance and neither about the MOT exam.

Also, I know there might be a tax ; do you know how much it is?

Best regards
Claire

Helo,

Thank you for your answer.

So it would be for insurance or to complete their service?

Thank you for your welcoming message and for the tip.

Hi and welcome back.

Insurance - depends on many things; for example, will you have any recognised no-claims discount; best advice is to go online and check the various comparison websites; this link will take you to one, but there are others.

Car tax - in general, depends on the emission performance of your car, the least emissions, the lower the tax.  The information about how much it will cost can be found on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.  With regards to buying an older/cheaper car, these, in general, have poorer emission performance, so you pay more tax.

The MOT exam is required for all vehicles over 3 years old; it's a physical examination of your car; this link will take you to the Halfords website that lists the information of what's checked; they also provide an MOT service, but there are other suppliers who may offer it cheaper, you have to shop around; Google may help you find someone near where you live.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team