Imported vehicle from South Africa

I have imported my vehicle from South Africa to Scotland.  What is the process? The DVSA is asking a lot of info to get a technical inspection. Can someone please help

Hi again.

The process for importing a vehicle into the UK is described on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.

I recall that when I did it, I declared the vehicle to HMRC at the time of import; they gave me a form to fill in and send to what was then the DVLA.  All I really had to do was get UK Insurance, change the headlights for UK spec (the car was left-hand drive), then take it for an MOT test; when it passed I got a UK registration document and number from DVLA; it was really quite simple.

I understand that if someone imports a car that did not comply with EU spec at the time of manufacture, particularly emissions, then you may have a lot more hurdles to get across during the technical inspection as I recall from somewhere that it will have to meet current EU spec.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

The DVLA form asks for a lot of technical stuff, which can only be confirmed by undergoing a IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) test through the DVSA. It is quite a hassle to satisfy their questions, like proving that I had been driving the car during the last 6 months before import. I have sent them my license certificate which is the same as a road tax certificate. Haven't heard from them for 10 days. Quite a hassle !! And frustration.
Thanks for your input

The prior use for 6-months question is more to do with tax assessment; the individual vehicle approval is the same system they use if you had built the car yourself.  What model is it; perhaps the manufacturer can help you?

Nissan Juke Tekna 2015

Hi again.

If you haven't already done so, contact Nissan (link) to see if your car already meets UK spec.  If you have and it doesn't, then I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Have a look at this guide:

The Individual Vehicle
Approval Scheme
A guide to the approval of light
passenger & light goods vehicles
buses & coaches, large goods
vehicles & trailers

Quite formidable and somewhat frightening

Hi again.

My colleague at work built his own kit car (basically a Ford Mondeo chassis with a Morgan looking top; my neighbour put a Citroen 2CV body on a Range Rover chassis), both had to go through it, you are right that it's a formidable process; not helped by the reduced number of inspection centres that do the work.

Thank you Cynic
Just completed their "Question" page. Hope for the best.