Academic Spouse Visa Work Questions

Hi Folks,

My wife is applying for a post-doc visa through a university in Ireland. It's a three-year post-doc. If she gets it (and this is a big if), I'm assuming I can come over as her spouse via the Join-Family Visa (pre-clearance visa?).

I have a couple of questions, and hoping someone can lead me in the right direction here.

Assuming I can get the join family visa, I think I would be able to apply for a work visa, too. Again, it's a three-year grant, so it's not a visiting academic visa for her.

Another question, maybe related to the above question and maybe not, but I'm an artist. I was thinking of maybe opening up a small studio and gallery space once there. Can spouses open small businesses (with or without a work permit)?

If you know the answer and can help. That's awesome and thanks. If not, any lead direction (other threads, or other links you know of), that'd be helpful, too.

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As I understand it, no, you cannot accompany your wife.  I've got this from the Department of Justice and Equality website; this link link; will take you straight there; when you get there, click on the link to "NEW IMMIGRATION REGIME FOR FULL TIME NON-EEA STUDENTS", then scroll down to page 13, it's there.  It does mention exceptions, but you haven't told me enough to see whether they apply, suffice to say, you can read them for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't go to Ireland, it just means you have no right to accompany your wife because of her course, so you will need to find another way, so find a job, although you will probably know better than anybody on here as to whether you'll find one as an artist.  You certainly don't see adverts for them, but I would have thought you would have your own professional contacts who can advise you better than anybody else can.

I know I probably haven't helped very much; perhaps also speak to her university and see if they have any useful information - perhaps they have an arts department?

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks. She's not a student, per-se. It would be a post-doc fellowship, so she'd be an employee on the researcher level.

I think from what I've read I can accompany her, I might be able to work, but I probably can't have a small business.

I got this from glossing over those pages around the page you linked. specifically here.

Hi again.

With that extra information you've provided, I've found the following:

If you are working under a Hosting Agreement, your family can apply to join you in Ireland. However, your family must be listed as part of the Hosting Agreement.

Your family cannot join you if you are working under the Atypical Working Scheme (unless otherwise approved).

So there are 2 key aspects you need to follow up on.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team