VISA entry issue during MCO in Malaysia

Hi all, I hope you all are safe and sound at this time.
I am a Malaysian and I am here posting to find out more information about how travelers and expats deal with the EXPAT/Travel VISA in Malaysia.

My fiance traveled here to spend Chinese New Year with me and my family. We were supposed to get married and go on a honeymoon. Unfortunately, the pandemic outbreak worsened over days, and it is best to stay home (luckily we still have shelter and food) during MCO but his VISA is about to expire in 3 weeks. I'm really worried about this. If anyone has any clue about this, please advise what we could do for his visa. I really appreciate any tips and help from you all.

Meanwhile, stay safe! If you need a person to talk to or share your story, I'm more than happy to be here with you.

Best regards,
Alexandra

Nobody here is a employee of the immigration dept and cant say for sure what the govt is doing with all situations. At least recently they were accommodating people to stay because of the travel restrictions on everyone. Those expats who wanted to leave got help from their embassies. And there is also the problem of the airlines which have cancelled many flights. My GUESS is that they will extend the visa one week or one month at a time for the normal cost (I forget, is it RM10 per day? RM30 perday?) until the govt lifts the restrictions. I advise your fiance to not wait but go now to immigration and find out what they will do specifically for him. Do NOT assume that he can simply stay beyond the visa time and that they dont care because of the virus. You still have to follow the laws. If they want him to go then you need time to find a flight so dont put it off until the last minute. Meantime, have you checked the immigration website to see if there are any general updates about visas? Certainly many people have the same questions.

cvco wrote:

Nobody here is a employee of the immigration dept and cant say for sure what the govt is doing with all situations. At least recently they were accommodating people to stay because of the travel restrictions on everyone. Those expats who wanted to leave got help from their embassies. And there is also the problem of the airlines which have cancelled many flights. My GUESS is that they will extend the visa one week or one month at a time for the normal cost (I forget, is it RM10 per day? RM30 perday?) until the govt lifts the restrictions. I advise your fiance to not wait but go now to immigration and find out what they will do specifically for him. Do NOT assume that he can simply stay beyond the visa time and that they dont care because of the virus. You still have to follow the laws. If they want him to go then you need time to find a flight so dont put it off until the last minute. Meantime, have you checked the immigration website to see if there are any general updates about visas? Certainly many people have the same questions.

Hi! Thanks for your reply, you're a star!  :up:  I was chancing if there's anyone in the same situation.  We have got a reply from the immigration office that he could remain for the moment and apply for a special pass immediately when the MCO is over.

Cheers,
Alexandra

I will soon be in this situation but mine case is a bit different as i have an Employment visa so will be getting in touch with my office travel desk soon on extension process which is around early may..i should be able to share some update by that time atleast related to EP renewal task.. stay safe..n take it in a positive way that world is in midst of reboot 😀💪

This is wat I received from the US Embassy regarding the 90-Day Short Term Visit Pass.

"Social Visit Passes
We have been advised that 90-day social pass holders who overstay during the MCO should go to the nearest immigration office immediately after the MCO is lifted.

The immigration officer will then decide, on a case-by-case basis, either to renew the social pass or issue a special pass to leave Malaysia.

Those who overstay their passes during the MCO period will not be blacklisted or fined as long as they depart as soon as the MCO is lifted.

The guideline on renewing passes within 14 days after the MCO lifted does not apply to 90-day social pass holders."

How soon is immediately? There may be extremely long lines at immigration offices on the first day after they lift the MRO. Fortunately they do say "nearest immigration office" so presumably that is where you'll receive either a new pass or a short-term extension.  The standard extension for "exigent circumstances" is one month, so hopefully that will be what is issued.

anup1500 wrote:

I will soon be in this situation but mine case is a bit different as i have an Employment visa so will be getting in touch with my office travel desk soon on extension process which is around early may..i should be able to share some update by that time atleast related to EP renewal task.. stay safe..n take it in a positive way that world is in midst of reboot 😀💪

Hi, I would definitely love to hear any updates from you soon! As of now, the immigration just mentioned a special pass but there's no any further details of how to apply it, what docs needed etc. I will keep this topic alive and update from my end if I have any news too.
You too stay safe! All is well, all is well!

Good luck,
Alexandra

cinnamonape wrote:

This is wat I received from the US Embassy regarding the 90-Day Short Term Visit Pass.

"Social Visit Passes
We have been advised that 90-day social pass holders who overstay during the MCO should go to the nearest immigration office immediately after the MCO is lifted.

The immigration officer will then decide, on a case-by-case basis, either to renew the social pass or issue a special pass to leave Malaysia.

Those who overstay their passes during the MCO period will not be blacklisted or fined as long as they depart as soon as the MCO is lifted.

The guideline on renewing passes within 14 days after the MCO lifted does not apply to 90-day social pass holders."

How soon is immediately? There may be extremely long lines at immigration offices on the first day after they lift the MRO. Fortunately they do say "nearest immigration office" so presumably that is where you'll receive either a new pass or a short-term extension.  The standard extension for "exigent circumstances" is one month, so hopefully that will be what is issued.

Hello,

I kid you not. Your information is rather more detailed than what I have gotten from local immigration. :'D Really appreciate your input here. Many thanks and wish you well!

Cheers,
Alexandra

You're welcome. Mind you this is second-hand (i.e. what the Ministry of Home Affairs passed on to the US Embassy) but it seems reliable. Doing okay as we approach the 2 month mark of lockdown...given that the cycle to show symptoms was 14 days  (and even the worst estimate of asymptomatic activity is 1 month) you'd think it would be about time to ease up a little.

See......I tried to be careful in my first reply because I was afraid of what happened in this thread, that Immigration might say OK to overstayers but on terms so vague that the expat wouldnt know if they were breaking the law or not. I just knew it. Thats why I said dont wait, go to Immigration to see what they would do in an individuals situation.

1) Its great that Immigration updated news on its website but they are not bound to that. It can be revoked anytime and the website not updated and they wont take responsibility for changes based on information you previously relied on.

2) Yesterday the prime minister the MCO would be lifted in small steps, including that small and medium enterprises could open soon.  So tell me, which little step applies to the Immigration Dept? They can so easily say that when a corner mamak stall was allowed to seat patrons again that THAT was the start of your Immigration time clock, or that when interstate road travel was re-opened that THAT was the start, or that when the post begins to allow non-essential international packages to be sent that THAT was the start. You would have no idea and as you noticed on the website, they didnt define what "end of MCO" means. Is it somewhere within the steps or when the country is called totally opened by the PM? They are creating a mess that is going to get expats in trouble.

So again my advice is not to play it as fast and loose as they are with  us. Go there and show your passport and situation and at least attempt to get them to define end of MCO for your case---in writing. If the Immigration has generated a written policy by now, take that, but dont rely on what a clerk tells you at the counter--they are not held to what they say.

A person will get the best answers and help when they are honest and early. Its the late people who cant expect mercy and most of the time they dont get any.

cvco wrote:

See......I tried to be careful in my first reply because I was afraid of what happened in this thread, that Immigration might say OK to overstayers but on terms so vague that the expat wouldnt know if they were breaking the law or not. I just knew it. Thats why I said dont wait, go to Immigration to see what they would do in an individuals situation..

All Immigration Offices are shut down until the MCO is lifted...so how can one get information by going to the Immigration Offices?

cvco wrote:

1) Its great that Immigration updated news on its website but they are not bound to that. It can be revoked anytime and the website not updated and they wont take responsibility for changes based on information you previously relied on.

What updating are you referring to. All it says is that the Offices will be closed until further notice. The did issue a Q&A response based upon their older announcement.
https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/EP_PVP.pdf

cvco wrote:

2) Yesterday the prime minister the MCO would be lifted in small steps, including that small and medium enterprises could open soon.  So tell me, which little step applies to the Immigration Dept? They can so easily say that when a corner mamak stall was allowed to seat patrons again that THAT was the start of your Immigration time clock, or that when interstate road travel was re-opened that THAT was the start, or that when the post begins to allow non-essential international packages to be sent that THAT was the start. You would have no idea and as you noticed on the website, they didnt define what "end of MCO" means. Is it somewhere within the steps or when the country is called totally opened by the PM? They are creating a mess that is going to get expats in trouble.

It's clear that one cannot get anything updated or corrected until the Immigration Offices actually open. What "immigration clock" are you referring to?

cvco wrote:

So again my advice is not to play it as fast and loose as they are with  us. Go there and show your passport and situation and at least attempt to get them to define end of MCO for your case---in writing. If the Immigration has generated a written policy by now, take that, but dont rely on what a clerk tells you at the counter--they are not held to what they say.

What if the clerk tells you something and there is not yet a written document? Do you go back, day-after-day?

cvco wrote:

A person will get the best answers and help when they are honest and early. Its the late people who cant expect mercy and most of the time they dont get any.

So we should start waiting in line tonight with a sleeping bag so we can be the first in line on Monday and beat out the tens of thousands of workers and others panicked because of the crackdowns occurring against immigrants?

Hi Anup

I am on notice peroid and my company will cancel my ep on 30th May 2020. and the country is not opening the flight soon.can expatriate request 3 months extention as special pass?

I need to get income tax clearance they said they want confirm ticket

No flight operating at this time

Pls suggest

Hi all. My visa expired on 1/5/2020 and I was in contact long before this happened with British High commission. They got information from the chief immigration officer directly and here is how it is working. If your visa expires, do not worry as after the MCO is lifted, there is a TWO WEEKS period for people to go to immigration and get the extension stamp for free as NO PENALTIES are being issued. You can also just go to the airport directly if you have a flight and you can depart with no problems.
I hope this helps.

Thanks John.. I have flight on 8th July and my ep will cancel on 31st May.. 38 days i wil be here .. what should i do?

Immigration Offices to reopen for Visa, Expat, and other services starting this Wednesday (6 May 2020).

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ … eVH7Pd3GLY

This sounds ominous for both Tourism and the MM2H program.

https://www.therakyatpost.com/2020/04/2 … gi-MPaAQlc

Thanks.. but would they provide special pass beyond 30 days?

i want to apply for income tax clearance, would they give if i don't show them flight ticket? or is the flight ticket mandatory?

You don't need to do anything. After MCO lifted, you will be able to go to immigration office. As I said, mine expired last week and I'm not panicking as this is a global issue. Do not worry really. Call your embassy if you need confirmation of this.

Hi Anup

I am on notice peroid and my company will cancel my ep on 30th May 2020. and the country is not opening the flight soon.can expatriate request 3 months extention as special pass?

I need to get income tax clearance they said they want confirm ticket

No flight operating at this time

Pls suggest

Hey john - It will be cancellation not expiry as i am leaving job