Virus & Gov Change Means No To MM2H And Malaysia?

While I am still planning to come to Malaysia in May to finish up the MM2H approval process, my wifey is making me rethink about it, at least, postponing it if at all possible.  Adding to the virus situation is of course the change in the government leadership.

My agent of course wants us to continue and finish it up.  I've emailed the MM2H program directly and asked if it would allow postponements due to the virus but have not heard back yet (at least a week now).

So, is anyone else in the same boat as we are?  If so, what are you doing?  Hopefully, the virus situation will soon pass but what about the government leadership change?  Is that going to make Malaysia less than desirable?

I would love feedback from potential to existing expats in Malaysia.

Thank you!

I don't fit into potential or existing expats in Malaysia as I am a former expat in Malaysia. But I cannot imagine a government leadership change wanting to discourage foreigners from wanting to move to Malaysia under the MM2H program and even if they did then I'd still want to complete the process since once you have it it is good for 10 years.

According to my agent, postponing completion of the application process is on a case by case basis (at least for now).  If your country is one of the hotspots then pretty sure they will allow it.  Since I am from the US I can't postpone just yet but as they say the situation is fluid.  What is possible is that since I am the main applicant, my wife does not need to go with me if she really doesn't want to face being quarantined post visit.  I am already working at home full time due to virus so being quarantined shouldn't be too much of a hassle for me.  Agent is willing to help process her later for a small fee or nothing if within a reasonable timeframe post 6 mo period.  Ok, I guess I am still going until I can't go....

Over soon... no hope.

A pandemic like this will last 18 months. The 1918 flu pandemic had 4 waves and started almost the same. It wasn't serious so said the British army doctors. Well wave one wasnt. It was later waves that killed 1 in 18 and decimated nurses and doctors. SARS-Cov-2 looks like it could repeat this.

I am expecting at least a year of banned entry into most countries and 100s of millions of dead.

Yes, way more people today but we do have major advances in medicines/technology/etc, right?  Now, we can't account for idiots who thought 10,000+ people convening in close quarters was an ok idea....

And doing ritual ablutions (washing the face arms and hands) in common basins. Likely large gatherings sharing food with the fingers, too. For three days. A prescription for mass transmission as much as the trenches were in WW1.

Hopefully these people spread a "lazy" strain of the virus...which might mean that any reasonable efforts to prevent contact and basic hygiene activities will impede further spread.

VWC...what do you mean "finish up the process"? Do you mean that you have already obtained your letter of approval and are simply picking up your visa(s) or are you just finishing up for "submission".

If the latter I'd expect another 6-8 months for approval.  Who knows...maybe longer if staff are pared and fall sick....or shorter as applications dry up.

Hopefully a vaccine will be developed within the next 6 months that can be quickly distributed. Seniors would likely be a target cohort and it would likely be made a requisite for entry/travel at some point.

Hi there!  Oh yeah, I received my approval letter awhile ago from my agent and I had booked flights and Airbnb for mid May meet up with agent in Penang.  Agent was going to take passports for processing while we hung out in Penang for about 3-4 days.  Over the weekend, Singapore Airlines canceled my leg from Singapore to Penang.  Then, of course you saw my post about the delays until April 30th, so I pretty much have started shutting down the visit.  I just got off the phone with my agent in Penang and she said yeah lockdown was pretty much in effect there.

Although technically I have not been granted an extension on the 6 month, my agent said go ahead and cancel trip.  She will let me know more as things develop.  She thinks the only people that will be a priority right now anyway will be those say who are renewing their visas and need immediate attention.  We don't mind waiting really, as long as extension is given.  I am a bit pissed that my Airbnb host is not willing to break policy and refund me 100% instead of the 50%.  Luckily, not a whole lot.

I can't believe that 10K+ attended festival was held in Malaysia.  Why would the government be so lazy about it???  Here in San Francisco, today we went into "shelter in place" status.  Only essential reasons are you to be out.  I have never seen a run on a large supermarket here until now.  Crazy people are buying up water and toilet paper of all things.  I mean, crates of toilet paper!!!!  Come on!!!

Boy, not sure when this is going to blow over.  It is scary.  You all out there take care of yourselves.

I think that the government viewed cancelling the Sri Petaling mosque event as a political hot-potato. None of the political parties wanted to act because they were either not trying to upset the Malay community or were trying to recruit PAS (the Islamist party) to their coalition. Or maybe with all the power play the politicians simply were not focused on doing their jobs as public servants. Either way it looks bad.

Oddly I'm wondering whether the Camus novel "The Plague" or Edgar Allan Poe's 1842 "The Masque of the Red Death" will start coming true for many of these nations and cities.

I picked up my approval letter on Feb 19, 2020. I completed the health check up using provide Malaysia Doctor in 30 minutes at a cost of only RM 50.  I have encountered 2 problems so far.
1. The MM2H office never answer phone call or emails for 3 weeks. Now the office is closed for the next 3 weeks (March 14 to 31) due to Virus -19
2. Banks do not really want to open Fixed Deposit account for Foreigners even with MM2H Approval letter. They ask so many unrelated (stupid) questions that make your head spin. Like "Do you have work Permit?" ....MM2H does not allow holder to work, "Do you have other accounts with this Bank?"..Foreigners can not open account without MM2H Approval Letter or work permit, "Do you have relatives working for this Bank?", "How many people came with you?", " Why you applied for MM2H?", What is your Malaysian home address and your Malaysian Mobile Number?", Do you own a home?, Are you going to buy a home and why?", "what is your yearly income?", "How you will fund the account and where the money came from", "How much you pay in Tax in your counter" .... and so on. After all this lengthy meeting the bank with take 5-7 working days to request approval from their home office. 70% of time the application request will get reject by the Bank home office without telling you the reason. It seems from their line of questions they think you are applying for a Loan or Credit Card while actual you are giving them RM 150,000 as Fixed Deposit for 10 Years. In fact My own USA Citibank, their Malaysia Branch rejected my FD application after wasting 10 days. It seems like pulling teeth talking with Malaysian Bank officer. It is like the Egg and Chicken which one came first? I am so frustrated and really thinking do I need to live in Malaysia"? I have wasted so far one month staying in Hotel at a cost of $3500 while waiting for these banks to decide. It seems the Banks do not understand the MM2H Letter but they claim they have processed many FDs before. Now all Hotels are not accepting booking for new customers do to the Virus lock down.
Please allow yourself a lot of time to complete the final steps.

Hi there!  Good information.  Sorry that you are having issues.

Well, that is exactly why I am trying to open the accounts or get as much done while I am still here in San Francisco.  We bank with HSBC so we figured it should be smoother/safer since HSBC is an international bank that has a presence in Malaysia.  Wrong.  It has been a semi nightmare working between the local branch and the international branch of HSBC.   I had to do a phone interview with the international branch banker and we finally about 2 weeks went to the local branch where we signed a bunch of papers.  With the virus situation I am on semi hold anyway, but still.  At this point, my understanding is that it is in the hands of the international bank division (which I believe is East Coast).  Now, if everyone is staying home due to the virus I don't know when the international bank representative is going to finish up opening my account.  I ain't holding my breath...

My agent did suggest from the get-go to use Public Bank, which she said would do it easily and smoothly.  Should have considered it, but again, I felt more comfortable sending the FD electronically via the "same" bank.  Guess what she said was the worst bank of all?  Wells Fargo Bank!!!!  No way, I still have the original checking account with Wells since a kid.  When I go to the branch, even the bank tellers are impressed...

Good luck and keep us posted on your happenings....

Message is go away foreigners!

This pandemic is expected to last 18 months (a typical time scale). How long we will have restrictions? Probably a lot longer than people think.

Nemodot wrote:

Message is go away foreigners!

This pandemic is expected to last 18 months (a typical time scale). How long we will have restrictions? Probably a lot longer than people think.

No worries,  I was hoping/waiting for new competent government leadership anyway.... ;-)

I had planned every detail, but I found out this is Malaysia and each bank will tell you different story and requirements. Some of them want to know so many details about, your money, your US tax and your family like you are applying for a credit line or home loan. It is so stupid and have nothing to do with you make Fix Deposit, you are given them money. My God

Please understand that HSBC Bank in USA and outside the USA is NOT the same company, each Country is independent and they do not talk to each others. HSBC and Citibank are not true international Banks. They are International Banks by NAME only and not in Transactions or Services.They can only can do limited services across countries Location, this is why I did not say Branches .

I found HSBC and Citibank are worst Banks to deal with in Malaysia and China... Ton of paper works and limited service. The sad thing, I am a Citibank Gold in USA and own Citibank Shares with Credit cards, but Citibank in Malaysia  rejected my FD Application without given me a reason.

So today I applied at several Malaysian Banks, Public Bank, Maya Bank, CIMB Bank and AffinBank. I found Public Bank and AffinBank are the easiest and are flexible people to deal with. FD rate 2.6%, 2.8%, 2.04% and Affinbank is 3%. HSBC and Citi 2.4%.

Remember You Account Application must be approved by the Bank's main offices in KUL and they must see  your original MM2H approval letter with SS verification Number, so you need to bring your SS card and your SS 1099 if your retired and collecting SS month payments.

If you are over 65 years you can not buy Health Insurance in Malaysia. I had United Heath Insurance  in US give me a normalized letter with benefits summary attached showing I am covered WORLDWIDE in case of EMERGENCY. which I hope MM2H office will accept or give me a waiver.

The Agent will only do what will make money for them, Banks, Hospital and Insurance give them Kick-Backs under the table. So Trust but Verify. I am on WhatsApp and FaceTime if you iPhone .

I am really reconsidering if Malaysia is the right Place. I like Xiamen, China and have a sea view Condo there, but China do not a retiree program.

Sindebad wrote:

I had planned every detail, but I found out this is Malaysia and each bank will tell you different story and requirements. Some of them want to know so many details about, your money, your US tax and your family like you are applying for a credit line or home loan. It is so stupid and have nothing to do with you make Fix Deposit, you are given them money. My God

Totally, agree.  Let's stick to what I am asking you to do, which is to just hold my damn FD!!!  If I wanted anything else, I believe I am smart enough to ask for it!!!!

Please understand that HSBC Bank in USA and outside the USA is NOT the same company, each Country is independent and they do not talk to each others. HSBC and Citibank are not true international Banks. They are International Banks by NAME only and not in Transactions or Services.They can only can do limited services across countries Location, this is why I did not say Branches .

Yeah, I essentially found this out to be true since why the delays and run around for a basic account that again we are placing our money into for awhile??? 

I found HSBC and Citibank are worst Banks to deal with in Malaysia and China... Ton of paper works and limited service. The sad thing, I am a Citibank Gold in USA and own Citibank Shares with Credit cards, but Citibank in Malaysia  rejected my FD Application without given me a reason.

Yes, ton of paper work we have now done.  If HSBC can't deliver, and while it is semi-excusable since a separate bank in Malaysia I would still pull out all of my accounts and anxiously wait for the customer survey call to come through...

So today I applied at several Malaysian Banks, Public Bank, Maya Bank, CIMB Bank and AffinBank. I found Public Bank and AffinBank are the easiest and are flexible people to deal with. FD rate 2.6%, 2.8%, 2.04% and Affinbank is 3%. HSBC and Citi 2.4%.

See, Agent was dead right about Public Bank.  That, was solid advice.

Remember You Account Application must be approved by the Bank's main offices in KUL and they must see  your original MM2H approval letter with SS verification Number, so you need to bring your SS card and your SS 1099 if your retired and collecting SS month payments.

Ok, we did all that at the local branch, so I don't understand why we have to revisit it.  The original approval letter copy was sent through to the International Division.  But you are right, and since I am a stickler about things, I will ask Malaysia HSBC side to confirm what I need to bring again.  If I need to bring everything and the refrigerator, I will do it.

If you are over 65 years you can not buy Health Insurance in Malaysia. I had United Heath Insurance  in US give me a normalized letter with benefits summary attached showing I am covered WORLDWIDE in case of EMERGENCY. which I hope MM2H office will accept or give me a waiver.

Not over 65, but if any more delays I mind as well be....

The Agent will only do what will make money for them, Banks, Hospital and Insurance give them Kick-Backs under the table. So Trust but Verify. I am on WhatsApp and FaceTime if you iPhone .

I couldn't really ask for better advice/hand holding from my contact at the Agency.  She was right about Public Bank and kickbacks or not, she had good advice about using the local med clinic which has no set scheduling (drop in doable) and on a low cost insurance plan (to be verified).

Yup, use WhatsApp to call Agent so I would love to add you as contact. PM me.

I am really reconsidering if Malaysia is the right Place. I like Xiamen, China and have a sea view Condo there, but China do not a retiree program.

Yes, same here.  Not completely sure Malaysia is the place for me now that the government has changed.  I may be of Chinese decent, but no way in heck am I semi-retiring in China.  My Malaysian Chinese wife will not step foot in China for more than an airport transfer.  The botched handling of the virus really is inexcusable (for a world power that likes to think it is #1, it is not).  I may have to consider Canada.

Take care.