Filipina requirements on moving to Dubai

My partner is currently employed in Saudi Arabia but we plan on her joining me in Dubai once I settle there some point this this.

I've heard all sorts of stories about people having difficulty obtaining a work permit so I wanted to see if anyone had actual experience.

At the moment the plan is for her to fly to dubai on a visit visa, we get married and then change her visa status and apply for a work permit. Does that sound right?

Her friend also wished to join us, but she is not a relative so I'm thinking she will have to fly back to the Philippines before making an application

Not clear on what your question is but I think you are confusing totally different things.

To split it apart:

1) You CAN convert from visit visa to work permit IF there is an employer willing to sponsor you.  Or in other words, yes, if you get a job
2) You can get married in the UAE if one of you has a residence visa and the other party undergoes pre-marital medical checkup
3) If you get married to her, YOU can sponsor her for a family residence permit which allows her to live in the UAE but NOT to work.  If she wants to work then guess what?  yes she HAS to find an employer / job

So the difficulty you heard about obtaining a work permit is simply difficulty in finding a job.  Or in other words, you can be resident in the UAE through marriage / family ties but can't work or be resident here with permission to work - which can only be through an employer / job. 

As far as the other friend is concerned, she has to follow the same process but unlike your wife to be, her timeline is till the expiry of the visit visa.

Hope it's clear now.

Wow thank you! and yes the question was a bit of a mess!!! I think sometimes we over complicate things by adding multiple issues rather than addressing them one by one.