Investing in Poland

Hello everyone,

During your expatriation in Poland, you might have been made aware of interesting investment schemes (local or international). Whether one wants to make money grow, protect oneself or prepare for retirement, investment is always an attractive option. It is, however, never free of risk. Would you, therefore, like to share some practical information for other expats and expats to be?

Is the Polish economy open to foreign investment? Do local authorities encourage investment (through formalities, tax etc.)?

What are the promising sectors to invest and do business in Poland?

Who do you turn to for information before investing your money? (organisation, professional, lawyer, consultant)

According to the sectors of activity and the projects, what budget should be foreseen for an investment in Poland?

What do you think are the pitfalls to avoid and what advice would you give someone who wants to invest?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Diksha

Eh,
There're many fields you can invest in Poland, mostly based on industry and recently IT technologies. Many cities invest in technology parks and special economic zones. I think the future of Polish economy seems to be an IT branch.
There're also qualified workers needed.
The education branch also is also in need of workers.
Regions the best for investment of works:
-Dolnośląskie Voivodeship (There're special economic zones in Wrocław, Legnica or Wałbrzych. It's also good place for mining industry developement)
-Kleszczów Region (Gmina Kleszczów). The richest region in Poland often called Polish Kuwait. There're many companies, not only connected with mining.)
-Podkarpackie Voivodeship's mostly based on aviation industry
-Silesian Voivodeship's the biggest digest of economic zones and technological parks. They're almost in every city. There's a Bieruń-Lędziny Region (Powiat Bieruńsko-Lędziński), a very rich region, just in a halfway between Kraków and Katowice.

Hi Diksha,

I have experience in this area and in my opinion, yes, the Polish economy is open to foreign investments. The fact that you would be pouring money into the economy is a plus to start. A lot of the laws are favorable towards helping foreigners who can contribute to this society.

I would definitely due some homework or hire someone who can advise on the next question regarding a sector to get started. As in any economy, there are so many different ways you can go such as liquid investments like trading currencies, investing into stocks and bonds within a particular sector all the way to hard assets like real estate. Again, this is just an opinion, but I would have to lean towards an investment where your funds wouldn't lose value rapidly because of volatile conditions. It would also be very prudent to consult with an expert in the investment field and a licensed lawyer is absolutely necessary to conclude all contract negotiations on any buy or sell decisions.

As far as your next question is concerned, a qualified consultant would need to review your personal financial status for a professional evaluation. I were you, I wouldn't take advice from someone who is not qualified. A budget can not be blindly thrown into the wind. That would be irresponsible and unprofessional without knowing what your risk tolerance is, financial goals in terms of the rate of return you're expecting based on certain metrics used to arrive at that figure, etc.

I hope this helped.

"Caveat Emptor"

Best regards,

Pierre

Guys,

How about property investment? Poland is developing and more and more people is buying real estate here.
Buy to let investments give easily 6% return with high probability on capital gain. Recent year 8% price rise in residential real estate.
Data shows that there is still 200 000 apartments needed in Poland to fulfil social needs.
Keep in mind that developers are able to build 50 000 / year.

Regards,

Marcin

Hi everyone!

I'm considering investing in Poland real estate...

Currently looking into 3 different cities: Warsaw, Wrocław, Gdynia... Does anyone know these 3 cities well enough to compare the type of employment categories, income, etc.

Deciding between apartments vs. single family homes... Does anyone have any suggestions or insights?

Marcin mentioned the 200,000 housing needed, are these apartments or single family homes needed? Where are the cities that are most in need of housing? Warsaw?

Thanks!
Robert

Eh, if I were you I wouldn't consider Warsaw. Prices in Warsaw are very high, especially in city center, there's mostly city for corpo workers, eventually foreigners. Wrocław's more cosy and fine, there's a fine place for those who work in different enterprises, moreover it's a green one.
In my opinion Gdynia's much better, including families, there's a coast, you can invest in leasure apartments or houses here. I think it's the best place for families.

Thank you Klaudia

:|

Hello Ree Seed,

Anything you would like to add?  :)

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team