Retiring to Poland

Hi, - I am American who would like to retire to Poland. I know  that there is no such type of D visa, still wondering  if it is doable. I'd  appreciate if an anybody who successfully accomplished it  could  share your experience and knowledge.


Hi, - I am American who would like to retire to Poland. I know that there is no such type of D visa, still wondering if it is doable. I'd appreciate if an anybody who successfully accomplished it could share your experience and knowledge.

Welcome to the Forum

U.S. citizens are allowed visa-free entry into Poland for up to 90 days. But to become a legal resident in the Eastern European country, you will have to contact a Polish consulate in the U.S. to apply for a temporary or flat residence permit. You may have to show proof of sufficient funds to support your stay, so make sure that all of your documentation is in order.

When your residency permit has been approved, you'll receive a residency card that will help you find housing and pay your taxes. The first residence permit's lifespan is only up to three years, but it can be renewed for longer periods.

Once you've lived in Poland for about five years, you will have the opportunity to pursue a permanent residence. This comes with two conditions: stable income and property you either rent or own, where you must be living. Your permanent residence card then has to be renewed every 10 years.

Keep in mind that you will have to pay some base processing fees for your permit application, and they depend on the type. So, prepare to pay upwards of $120 or more for yours.

Good luck


Expat Team

One important detail that they have left out regarding a permanent resident card is the fact that you will need to pass a Polish language proficiency test at the B1 level which os very hard. It's an important detail that should be added. And the information regarding Karta Probytu recieving 3 years is incorrect; they can issue you a 3 year temporary resident card, (TRC),  but most of the time it's only for one year. And it's NOT and cannot be RENEWED. When the first one expires a person has to submit a new application for a  NEW TRC which will take a long time. Depending on which city that you applied it has been taking more than one year to get notification that have a favorable result and them to get your actual card more time. And due to the war in Ukraine and refugees coming to Poland approval times are at best dismal. I am on my third TRC and the first, before Ukraine crisis was 10 months, the second 11 months and my third, I submitted my application on September 1, 2022 and It's been 7 months and now news yet. Another tip is that if you apply by yourself and don't speak Polish, it will be nearly impossible to deal with the beaureaucrats without someone who is an advocate speaks Polish on your behalf. The whole process is hard, messy and confusing.