Planning on Traveling Europe with an Au-pair Visa

Hi!
Im new here.
I am an au pair here in Germany and planning to go to Prague for Christmas. My contract is for a year but my visa is only for 3 months and is now expired, my host family already applied for my extension last month but i haven't gotten any call or email if it is finally processed. My question is; can i go to other schengen countries in this situation?

Beppi here can probably tell you more details since he has had an au pair. But from my understanding, one gets a special visa as an au pair for the time of the contract which is limited in any case to 1 year. I have to think that whoever arranged your au pair job got you the wrong visa or the right type of visa but for too short of a time. I don't think it is normal or makes sense that one would have an au pair job and then have to get some kind of visa extension.

But one needs to clarify the time they are allowed to stay. A visa is an allowance to enter the country for a specific purpose. If the visa is good for 3 months this might mean that you would have had a 3 month window of opportunity to use it. But the time allowed to actually stay is another matter. Was it really limited to 3 months or does one get the 1 year which is standard for an au pair stay.  This should have been clarified before you even came  but the local officials and not anyone here can say for sure.

But if your time has run out and you have no confirmation of an extension then you are already illegal. You or the family should react immediately to contact wherever they applied for the extension and get some answers. Especially with Christmas coming up, many offices will not process things quickly even if open since many of the workers will take a week or more holiday.

Theoretically there are open borders and you could go to Prague without getting controlled. But there are often spot checks at or near the borders, especailly on the way back to Germany, and if you don't have an extension then you will likely be arrested and deported. I would NOT suggest you cross any borders without having gotten an extension.

With an Aupair visa, you are allowed to visit other Schengen countries.
But you do not have a valid Aupair visa and thus are staying illegally even in Germany now. You should not have waited with the visa extension until it expires! I suggest you contact your local Ausländeramt immediately on Monday!!!