Marriage visa?

I married a Thai woman from near Rattanaburi, Surin in the summer of 2019. I'm a US citizen, retired.

I obtained a O-A (non-immigrant) one year visa in January 2018 because it seemed the best option as we plan to be in Thailand every year to visit family for 3-4 months.

The water has gotten muddy now with this annoying health insurance requirement for retirement visa holders. I've priced this, and it appears it will cost anywhere from 60,000 THB a year now, going up to 90,000 and then 120,000 as I get older. (I'm 70 now, headed to 100 😉)

This is totally useless, as I have and use full health insurance in the USA. I wish they'd just allow us to use the 400,000 we must keep on deposit in Thailand as security!

As a result, I'm looking for alternatives. I have read that there is a not well advertised 'marriage visa' available. I have proof of our marriage in the US with me, but I don't know if that is adequate. We are building a house in Surin now.

I'd appreciate responses from anyone with direct (not speculative) knowledge about how the marriage visa works. I gather it has to be renewed yearly. I wish Thailand would give us solvent farang husbands a break with a 5 to 10 year visa, so we cqn come and spend money here more easily.

What your talking about is the Non-Immigrant O visa for the purpose of visiting or living with Thai wife in Thailand.  Its best you obtain from Thai Embassy/Consulate in the US before leaving.  Upon arrival in Thailand you will get permit to stay for 90 days.  During the last 30 days of your permit to stay you apply for extension based on marriage to Thai.  Don't wait till last day to apply do it several weeks before your permit to stay expires.  When approved they will extend your permit to stay to the same day and month you arrived to the following year giving you a total of one year (3 months + 9 months) permit to stay.  You extend every year just like the O-A visa.  Make sure you have re-entry permit should you leave Thailand and wish to return during the extension period.

You should have no problem to extend the Non O visa for purpose of retirement and not have insurance requirement.  Much less paperwork to do retirement vs marriage extension.  Some expats currently reside in Thailand with Non-O that was extended for purpose of retirement and insurance not currently required at extension time.

If you decide to go marriage route register marriage in US at Thai Embassy/Consulate because will be need to then register at Amphur in Thailand.  Many other documents are required for marriage extension.   

Make sure your O-A has expired before applying for Non-O visa.  You might even get new passport before returning with Non-O to save confusion upon arrival in Thailand.