Expat interest in politics in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Indonesia is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Indonesia?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Indonesia to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Indonesia include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Indonesia?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

I have tried to stay away from politics and religion throughout most of my life and concentrated on having fun, after all, we only get one life so better enjoy it to it's fullest. Politics in Indonesia is quite volatile and can get violent, mixed in with religion that can sometimes turn violent and extreme so for expats it is probably a good idea to keep low profile. At least, that's my thoughts on the subject. Election day and the aftermath can be full of violent protests and people who seem unwilling to accept to see the truth.

As for voting back home, I just do not have any interest. I secretly hoped for a no deal Brexit because I do not believe the Brits are so useless that they cannot turn things around for the better, but whatever happens happens. I am over here and not there.

Much as I'm no longer English, I have kept a close eye on the great escape, mostly because I see the EU as close to a dictatorship, and expensive one, but mostly because I'm keen to keep an eye on what a quid is worth over here. Basically, as with a lot of politicians, cash is my main interest (but not quite so corrupt)

Politics in Indonesia is a minefield, and one in which an expat (or politically active tourist) can lose a leg in.
There are several problems:

Stay well clear of anything to do with Papua, especially going there with even the slightest political intent. There's a fair chance you'll end up deported, but that's possibly a bit of a bonus because a dead white face is more useful to the rebels in propaganda terms than a live white face. In other words, you might well end up dead at the hands of your mates so they can blame the government.

Don't engage or discuss in any way anything more than a little left wing. Communism is illegal here, and nobody that matters gives a flying sheep about the subtle differences between that, Marxism, or any other left wing 'isms'.

Defamation is a criminal offence so if you accuse a politician of being corrupt, the result of an out of wedlock birth, or anything else they don't like, you can end up in the slammer. If you want to say something, be subtle (That's rich coming from a Barnsley boy) There are plenty of examples of people getting into hot water for defamation, so try to be a shade careful.

Big elections tend to be safe times, mostly because there are so many armed cops around, nobody in their right mind would do anything violent. Election days are more like social gatherings that the sort of thing you'd expect to see in the UK or US. The whole village turns out, has a chat, a snack, a drink, and they even vote.
Local elections are a different animal, the one I voted in a week or so ago being even more a social event with all the candidates sitting on a stage in case anyone wants to ask them something. There are hand carts selling street snacks and toys for the kids. A few coppers were hanging around, as were a couple of military types, but none were armed. The press hang around on the off chance they'll get a story, but there's rarely much to report.
The period after presidential elections can be a problem, especially if a candidate doesn't like the result. The last one saw violent protests for a while. I think it's pretty obvious expats should stay well clear of that stuff.

Political messing around can be good or bad for expats. The president is trying to make it a lot easier for foreign investment, thus easier visa rules and process, but the more extreme nationalists trying to keep anything non-Indonesian, and quite a number of Indonesians they don't think should be Indonesians, out of the country.

Masons aren't illegal, but they might as well be. They are seen as anti religious, corrupt, and only interested in their own ends, probably to overthrow the government. It hardly matters if that's true or not, anything masonic is very unwelcome

I think the best way is for expats to stay out of Indonesian politics, but there's nothing stopping you keeping an eye on the field..

I agree with Shill88 100%

I have zero interest with Indonesian politics, it says what it is on the can "Indonesian Politics" and is therefore made up for Indonesian interests not expats, don't like it leave, simple and I couldn't care less what they do or don't do, if I don't like it or feel it wont benefit my family I leave, very simple really and I move on to a different wonderful country, I also have zero interest in any religion and putting the two together clouds judgement

UK politics: I am an overseas registered voter and voted to leave the EU without hesitation, again I would have preferred a "no deal" but at least the country is leaving.
I only voted in the above election as my kids have dual passports and are entitled to a third if we wanted to settle in mainland Europe but that would be many years away
they are certain rules to be an overseas registered voter but I cannot say with certainty what they are but you cant just vote whilst overseas being a British citizen
The next elections in December will be difficult for me to vote and I would have to nominate a friend for a postal vote. But to be honest whoever wins the next UK election is only in it for own interests not the public, and that's the very thing many many politicians forget, they are in power to serve the interests of the very people who put them in power, unfortunately many forget and go on a power trip

Fred wrote:

mostly because I see the EU as close to a dictatorship, and expensive one

Yes absolutely. That's why the so many of us want the UK to get the heck out of the EU. And through the Brexit process we've all seen even more clearly how snotty these EU leaders are with their frequent condescending and sarcastic comments about the Brits and our politicians.

And as Terry Wogan once said on the Eurovision Song Contest when referring to the Germans, "We beat them once before, and we can beat them again".

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin?
It depends on origin country. USA yes. There is voter abroad registration.

Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Indonesia?
Online and regular mail - usually need to do both.

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Indonesia to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?
None I am aware of.

To which extent should political life in Indonesia include expats and their concerns?
Beware - some comments may land you in jail, deported, and fined. Freedom of speech is not a Civil Right for foriegners. Expats have no Civil Rights in any regard I am aware of. Best keep your opinions non political. Questioning poor heath quality and pollution is one thing but critisizing a major political figure is asking for trouble.

Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?
Good luck.

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?
Yes, keep your opinions off social media.

Do you keep up with politics in Indonesia?
Yes.

I live full time in Indonesia but decline to take its politics too seriously.
Most Indonesians are more interested in my money than my opinions.
Having said that I hope Indonesia's future is based on common sense and not some uneducated blind faith in a possible future dictatorial leader.

Only citizens should be allowed to vote. Anything other than that is totally wrong and undemocratic.

As an Australian citizen, I have both the right and the obligation to vote in all Australian elections and at all levels of government in my electorate.

Expats may be given certain political rights as foreigners and should only exercise those rights should they wish to do so. We should only be involved in Indonesian affairs if we are given the right to do so by Indonesian Law. No more.

Q: To which extent should political life in Indonesia include expats and their concerns?
A: Only in matters that concern us as foreigners or residents or human beings. For example in matters of property ownership, where we 'own' property, matters of safety and matters that the government of Indonesia has a 'duty of care' or responsibility according to law.

Q: Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?
A: Yes maybe, depends on the individual, but not in any political way.

Q: Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country?
A: Yes. Keep right out of politics! Not doing so may get you in the shit!

Q: Do you keep up with politics in Indonesia?
A: Only through the media and in conversations with locals.