EID where and how

Hello,

I would like to know how do I get the eID number? is it necessary for an european citizen?

Thanks in advance

yes, it's absolutely mandatory if you want to stay more than 90 days in Belgium.
With that European foreigner ID card, it will allow you to stay legally for 5 years in Belgium + electronically sign document (taxonweb.be / ...) + your id card in Belgium only (if you go outside Belgium, you'll need your Portuguese ID card or your passport).

It's pretty easy, you go to your townhall and:
* You show them your Portuguese ID card or passport
* You tell them where you're living (rent/owning a house/...)
* 2 ID pictures (i think it's 2, maybe only one, .... not so sure...)
* proof of a job/money (contract/self employed/pension/looking for a job...)
* Health insurance

then the police will visit you pretty soon, depending of your commune, to confirm where you live.

If the cops report is ok, you'll get your "E" card. (ID card of a European citizen)
After 5 years, you can ask for permanent residentship ("E+" card)

Thank you!

How do I prove that I'm looking for a job? I had some interviews and I'm waiting for answers.
For the insurance do you know if they accept the European Health Card until I get a job?

By any means of legal evidence... (registration at the Forem-VDAB / confirmation of interview / second interview / email sent after interview to thanks for their time and you're waiting for their answer / planning of your next interviews / ...)
Show them that you're really looking for a job, and everything should be ok.

Yes, your European Health Card is obviously accepted.
When you'll have your ID card (and so your ID number), you'll have to register at a "Mutuelle" and you might want to switch your current health insurance in Belgium to avoid administrative problem.