Convert Dependent WP (Single Permit) to Work permit - Type B

Hello,

I work in expat contract for past 4+ years. My wife has joined me as dependent & is having the dependent Single Permit. She got a new job in Belgium. Her employer has informed that it is not possible to process an independent work permit for her since she is already holding dependent Work Permit. They're fine to accept her to start working but the risk is that when I've to leave Belgium for some reason, my wife's Permit becomes invalid.

The employer says that if they know that I'll be leaving , then they can file independent work permit for my wife. But I never know about myself when I've to leave as I'm in expat contract.

Any leads on this would be of great help.

Thank you !

Authorities will only know you're leaving is when your employer cancels your WP and that will only happen at the very last minute. Say you get an advance notice from your company that you've to leave in 3 months and you ask your wife's employer to file for her Single Permit. Authorities still might not know officially that you'll be leaving in 3 months. So how will they process your wife's Permit then?

Applying a Single Permit is a 3-4 month process. Seems like the employer is avoiding the time to wait for it and maybe wanted your wife to start asap. If they can apply later when you'll be leaving, they can apply now as well.

aksamrahs wrote:

Authorities will only know you're leaving is when your employer cancels your WP and that will only happen at the very last minute. Say you get an advance notice from your company that you've to leave in 3 months and you ask your wife's employer to file for her Single Permit. Authorities still might not know officially that you'll be leaving in 3 months. So how will they process your wife's Permit then?

Applying a Single Permit is a 3-4 month process. Seems like the employer is avoiding the time to wait for it and maybe wanted your wife to start asap. If they can apply later when you'll be leaving, they can apply now as well.

I don't know what to do in my case :(  We've raised it again with her employer & they've informed that it is not possible to change the status from family re-unification to employee when I'm working in Belgium and she holds dependent single permit.

They're OK to wait if she joins after 3 months but they say the same point for WP processing.

Does anyone had applied for separate Single Permit & succeeded ?

Just in-case if I have to leave & my wife's employer files for Single Permit during that time, then can my wife continue to work during that time or she cannot stay in Belgium ? I'm very much worried.

Any insights would be of great help!

Hi Rajpnr
Can you please share how did you get the dependent single permit for spouse. My wife had applied for visa along with me after I received my singlepermit, and she has only received visa. Also the during the time of arrival registration at commune, she her attentation document (annexe 15) reads that she is not entitled work.

Can you please share your knowledge on this?

Thanks
Sanjay

Hi Sanjay,

My wife got it by default when she applied for the first time. I did not make any special requests. I think it's a normal rule now that dependents are allowed to work. You can check in your wife's RP at the back side if she's allowed to work , once she receives it.

I suggest you to check in commune to clarify

Good luck !

@rajpnr

Hello, Did you receive a solution to this. I am kind of facing the same, i have my single permit with stamped Visa and my wife's file is in process for family reunification. At the same time She is in the process of getting a job so is it possible to convert the dependent visa to single permit visa?

Thanks

@divsviet

hi

checking if you were able to convert the dependent visa to single permit ?

thanks