Belgian Citizenship / Proof of Language

Hello all, my first question on this forum.

I am currently preparing a file at my local municipality, with regards to acquiring Belgian nationality by declaration. My file was marked as complete. This morning I received an email asking if I had certificates for the language levels below the one established as necessary to make this application. The message said that I could apply, and I was sent a link to pay the fee, although they could not guarantee my application would be successful because of these missing certificates.

I have of course included proof of Dutch level 2.1/richtgraad 2. I completed a level test in order to be accepted to a class at this level. I wondered if:

a) anyone had submitted a file with only proof of this level, and what the outcome was, and
b) if anyone else had been asked for similar proof of previous levels.

My local municipality is Leuven, if it helps!

If you have at least NT2 - Waystage via CVO or inburgering it should be good to go.
I just got my nationality via declaration having this one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I may just move forward with the application as you suggest.

Hi, sorry to jump into this topic, could you tell me if you also got a check by the police of language/anything else? I've heard some people receive a visit and, even though I can prove the A2 level with a certificate we all know its not going to be a great conversation with just that. I've had visits from the police when I changed addresses but then it was always in English.
And lastly, do you happen to know if the permanent residence (card type B, C or D) is required before applying to the nationality? or as long as you have the, for example, 5 years of work and all then its ok?

thanks for your help!

IgnacioEg wrote:

Hi, sorry to jump into this topic, could you tell me if you also got a check by the police of language/anything else? I've heard some people receive a visit.....
And lastly, do you happen to know if the permanent residence (card type B, C or D) is required before applying to the nationality? or as long as you have the, for example, 5 years of work and all then its ok?

Police visit really depends. We did not have any visit.

Generally, you need to first apply for permanent residency before applying for citizenship.

Cheers.

What is the basic difference here between permanent residence and citizenship as I come from India too :)
Are they different applications? I have my social integration and 1.2 Dutch completed and I speak fair :)
I work in local contract and Sr. manager and next year I complete my 5 years. I had 10days of temporary unemployment due to covid pandemi. But rest all working for 5 years.
What would be the process? Shall I ask my company to apply for PR and I then apply citizenship.
Thank you so much for your kind guidance.
Cheers

PR is the right to live and work in BE permanently but it is not that permanent if you move abroad for more than 2 years. In that case  you loose the permanent status and you must start from zero with visa, work permit and administration. While citizenship it is permanent, you wont loose if you move abroad. Also there is the right to vote and feel as local. Moreover you can use the power of a Belgian passport to travel visa free in +188 countries in the world.
Your company has nothing to do with your PR application. you need to lodge the application yourself at the commune of residence and wait for their decision. PR is prerequisite for citizenship

It is possible and can cause a negative response for your application from the public prosecutor's office if they advise negatively. It depends on your overall application though if they perceive you have a weak application (like meeting the bare minimum requirements only marginally) they can use (which has been done before) their discretionary powers reject your application. The language requirement is pretty low (A2) so this is a source of local authorities who are aligned to the public's sentiment of foreigners obtaining Belgian nationality too easily. If you appeal and you technically meet all requirements then you'll win. You should read from chapter 3.2 from this file to read more about what have been the situation before: https://www.myria.be/files/Hoofdstuk_8.pdf

@747dash8 hello, You applied in one of Brussels's communes ? Thanks

@vocicag725 Nope.

It was in Zaventem.

@Edigj Hello. I went through your comment and i had a small question here. You mean a letter of inscription in a school at a level for example B1  can be used as proof of language level for nationality? Thanks

@ABS25

Not the letter of inscription, but the letter you get at the end of semester of language class is enough. It is not required B1 but just A2 level.

If you have B1 even better then.

Well it depends of the school you've been.

Most of the time you need to do a official test at the region to get your certificate (A2 or above)

My wife did got her A2 diploma from the french teaching school she was attending to, but finally had to do an extra "official" test at the region to validate it.