Interrupted employment (but uninterrupted residence)

Hi,

I have a question about permanent residency in Belgium.

I have lived and worked in Belgium for two years on single permit. I decided the change my employer at the beginning of summer, and my new employer applied to a new single permit in early July of this year.
My new contract has a start date of September 13, and September 10 (last Friday) was my last day of work with my current employer.

Unfortunately my new single permit hasn't been approved yet, so I will wait for it as an unemployed person in Belgium during the coming days (or weeks).

- Will this gap in my employment affect my application for permanent residency (and then application for citizenship)?

This gap is not my fault, as we planned 10 weeks of approval period with my new employer, but the Belgian government is so slow. I understand if this was my first permit, but this is not the case. I have already been here for two years, but still it takes more than 10 weeks for government to decide, just unbelievable! I worked in two other countries as an expat before Belgium,  I have never seen such a bureaucratic country.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks!

It won't affect both as long as your right of residence remains however for the nationality, you would need to complete A2 level of one of the national language and an integration course since you no longer have 5 years of uninterrupted work.

Thanks so much for your response Saad! So, as far as I keep my right of residence, my previous work period of almost two years will still count.

Do you know how I can keep my right of residence?

I mean, my current residence card still has 1 year to expire, but I will be sitting at home starting from tomorrow (Sept 14 monday) as an 'unemployed' person. I wish my new single permit arrive soon. But if takes one more month to receive it , will I lose right of residence?

You are already maintaining your right of residence with the current process of new work permit.

The previous employer will cancel your existing work permit but at the same time your new employer has filled a new one. As your residence permit is still valid, you really have nothing to worry about. I was in the same place back in 2017

Just wait and relax.

Hello,
I am.moroccan.. i came in here with a single permit ...and I want to know what are the conditions to apply for a permanent residency or work permit ( unlimited and independent from an employer)
I keep receiving many different feedbacks, that i need 5 years of work.. or 3 years
Anyway, i have found this article but it mentions 10 years !!!! So it is totaly confusing
https://economie-emploi.brussels/permis-unique-illimite
Can you please tell me what is it ?

@saad.s

Hi

I lived and worked in Belgium for more than 5 years in hte past. But after that I moved abroad for work and now after 2 years I come back to Belgium. Can I still apply permanent residency with this interruption in stary?

The minimum number of days before the expiry of the Belgian work permit is required to enter the country according to the rules. I want expert opinion.