How do I apply for a dependent visa for my life partner?

Expat forum has been really helpful and I thank all the members for participating actively.

Hi,
I have a guaranteed job offer and the visa process will begin soon. The company informed me that it may be take upto 2 months.

I would like to take my partner with me. My partner runs a business in India ( web development and graphic designing). Now that I am going to Germany, we want to live together in Germany.

The problem is that my partner doesn't have a job in Germany so ideally will be my dependent in Germany.

What is the procedure to make sure that I can bring my partner as soon as I can i.e within the 1st month?

Any help is highly appreciated

A family reunion visa takes 3 - 6 months to process, depending on your country's German embassy and the authorities of the town in Germany that you want to move to.
You better start the application process as soon as possible to enable her to join you earlier.

How do I start? Could you please guide me?  I just have the job contract with me. Even my visa process will take time i.e 2 months. Visa is sponsored by the company.

Now, how do I apply for a dependent visa for my partner as I am still in India?

Any help is highly appreciated. I don't want to wait 3 months as I will miss my partner a lot

I don't want to wait till I reach Germany. Actually the dependent visa is for my husband. I got a job offer inGermany as we applied online.

My husband has a business in India.  Now all I have is the job contract that I received from the company in Germany.  The German company will process visa and other formalities on my behalf.

I have heard that I can apply dependent visa for my husband even before I reach Germany for the first time. I saw a video or something long time back ( I can't find it now) which says that I can apply for dependent visa from India itself so the whole process will be completed in 3 months and my husband can come to Germany sooner. ( Basically what I mean is that, my visa will take 2 months so if I apply for a dependent visa now, we both may get visa together or with a gap of 1 month or so)

Hope I made sense. Please help

Yes, you can apply for the family reunion visa for your husband together with your work visa at the German embassy in your country.
Contact them for the procedure and requirements!

Thank you so much for the reply. Do you know any Indian in this forum?  May be I can talk to them via pm so that I can start preparations sooner.

Also, can my partner apply for a visitor's visa? So we can be together and in the mean time, I will apply for a dependent for him from Germany. Is that possible

There is a large number of Indians frequenting this forum, but it seems most of them are trying to get their own questions answered - much less to help answer other's. You can find Indian forum members here:
    https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/germany/
Please note that sending copy & paste messages to people you don't know is seen as SPAM here and can get you into trouble.
Your spouse can of course apply for a tourist visa while waiting for the family reunion visa. There is no guarantee, though, that it will be approved before the tourist visa expires.

Please also note that it is technically illegal to manage his Indian business from Germany without a work visa here. And in any case the income from it is taxable in Germany when he lives here (unless a bilateral tax treaty determines otherwise) and has implications on his health and other social insurance costs. A compicated issue you should get professional advice about before you decide to move!

One tip in dealing with such things is to avoid using the term "life partner" for husband or wife. It suggests that one is not actually married - and can easily be misunderstood. There is no legal relationship recognized for immigration purposes as fiancé or good friend. If one is married then make it clear!

beppi wrote:

There is a large number of Indians frequenting this forum, but it seems most of them are trying to get their own questions answered - much less to help answer other's. You can find Indian forum members here:
    https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/germany/
Please note that sending copy & paste messages to people you don't know is seen as SPAM here and can get you into trouble.
Your spouse can of course apply for a tourist visa while waiting for the family reunion visa. There is no guarantee, though, that it will be approved before the tourist visa expires.

I really appreciate your help. I have never been a part of forums before but my husband has been in some forums like warrior forum and Digital point forum where he contributes. As this is a new thing for me, I thought of seeking help and you have been really helpful. I plan to help other members of this forum once I get acquainted with all these. I also plan to write a blog on each and every topic and the problems I faced so that others in my situation will have a lot less to worry about.

beppi wrote:

Please also note that it is technically illegal to manage his Indian business from Germany without a work visa here. And in any case the income from it is taxable in Germany when he lives here (unless a bilateral tax treaty determines otherwise) and has implications on his health and other social insurance costs. A complicated issue you should get professional advice about before you decide to move!

Oh, I didn't know that. He runs a web development and graphic design business for which he gets paid via PayPal and the money goes to this bank account.  He later registered his business as an LLP in India. (Limited Liability Partnership)

If the work counts as freelancing, he can link his German bank account to PayPal so all the money he receives will be directly going to his German bank account for which he can pay tax. Does it still make it illegal?

I will certainly need expert help as you suggested.  Who do you think can help best? I mean a like an agent, lawyer etc?

TominStuttgart wrote:

One tip in dealing with such things is to avoid using the term "life partner" for husband or wife. It suggests that one is not actually married - and can easily be misunderstood. There is no legal relationship recognized for immigration purposes as fiancé or good friend. If one is married then make it clear!

Thanks I will keep that in mind :)

A bit about his business if I didn't mention. His company is registered in India as an LLP (limited liability partnership) and pays taxes in India. Its an online business where he offers web development and graphic design services to clients abroad and the money he receives from them goes to his PayPal account and finally to his bank account.

can he do the same thing in Germany and pay taxes in Germany? That makes it legal right? 

Is it needed to close his company in India or remove him as a partner in his company. If so, should he be declared an unemployed while applying for visa or when talking to the immigration officer?  Once he is in Germany, he can apply for a freelancer visa and then start working again and pay taxes in Germany.

The company can of course remain in India and where/how he is paid does also not matter, but he needs a proper visa (allowing work) to perform any paid services for it. Just paying taxes is not enough! I have no idea how difficult it is to get a freelancer/self-employed visa. He certainly will have to show that he does not take jobs from EU citizens - so it‘s better if he works in a field where there is a shortage of manpower here. No idea if web development is such.
Setting up as a freelancer or self-employed in Germany involves quite some buerocracy. He should hire a startup consultant to help him with this, and he possibly also needs an accountant, a tax consultant and a lawyer. Not sure if all of these is possible in one person, but it won‘t be cheap (€120/hour is a common rate).
Last not least, having his own income means he has to get (and pay) his own health insurance - the minimum contribution (public scheme) for freelancers/self-employed has just been halved to approx. €200/month. Depending on his income this can go up to €800/month (if he earns above €5000/month or so).

Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate.  I also contacted a website make it in Germany .com and one of the guys replied. Saying quote 

"If you sponsor your husband as a dependent, he is permitted for any kind of employment (also self-employment).

Therefore there is no need for him, to shut down his business in India, even if he operates it from Germany.

Please be aware, that he might have to pay taxes and declare his income from India in Germany.

For this matter, I recommend you to contact a tax consultant."

Let‘s hope this information is correct! (I thought the work permit is for employment only, but I‘m happy to be proven wrong.)
But he might still need to register a business here (if he doesn‘t qualify for the narrow German definition of freelancer), follow tax and accountancy rules and pay health insurance based on his foreign income, as I wrote before.
(Ther has never been a need to shut the Indian business down. Where did you get that from?)

Hello there,

You can definitely apply for your husband's visa (family reunion spouse visa/dependent) in India when you are still in India. You can use your work contract to apply.

I would strongly suggest you to first book the visa appointment slot for your husband since it is getting very difficult nowadays to get a visa appointment in India.

Meanwhile, you can collect and get ready with the needed documents. Please visit the German consulate (region-wise) website for India and get the list. Note that some region embassy may require additional documents. I mean, some document which is not needed by the Chennai German consulate may be needed by the Mumbai German consulate. So, go through the website thoroughly.

Some documents are very common and must for a spouse visa. Marriage certificate, your work contract, proof of accommodation, proof of health insurance
(besides the passport) are must for all the consulates. Some consulate asks for the birth certificate also ( I don't know why when you already have the passport :| )

Regarding health insurance:
I suppose your health insurance is taken care of by your employer. If that's right, then please confirm with your employer if your husband will be given health insurance as your dependent. If yes, you can use it.

Regarding accommodation:
In Germany, it is must that a house should have enough living space for the number of persons living in it.  According to my research and experience, the minimum living space needed for one adult is 12/14 sqm.
If your employer is providing you with the accommodation, then please confirm with them that it meets the minimum living space standard for two persons as per the law.

If you have any more specific question about the visa application, let me know. I will answer as much as I know.

But, first thing first. Please book a visa appointment for your husband as soon as possible.

I wish you all the best in your process. :)

beppi wrote:

Let‘s hope this information is correct! (I thought the work permit is for employment only, but I‘m happy to be proven wrong.)
But he might still need to register a business here (if he doesn‘t qualify for the narrow German definition of freelancer), follow tax and accountancy rules and pay health insurance based on his foreign income, as I wrote before.
(Ther has never been a need to shut the Indian business down. Where did you get that from?)

https://i.ibb.co/RSYRyjp/Screenshot-852.png Hi, here is a screenshot from   germany-visa. org /family-reunion-visa

I need to confirm with someone regarding registering a business in Germany and if it is really needed. Its an online business and the money is directly going to his Indian bank account via PayPal. It's not a rock and stone business on the ground. he won't need to move anything and he will visit his parents 2 - 3 times a year to take care of them

Regarding shutting down the business: lol, that was due to frustration and lack of information. I thought, it that makes it easier then so be it :)

Sejan5 wrote:

Hello there,

You can definitely apply for your husband's visa (family reunion spouse visa/dependent) in India when you are still in India. You can use your work contract to apply.

That is Interesting but I haven't got my visa yet. My employer said, my visa application process and will take some time. maybe 1-2 months. I haven't got my visa approved yet, so can I still apply for my husband or do I need to wait till I get my VISA?

Sejan5 wrote:

I would strongly suggest you to first book the visa appointment slot for your husband since it is getting very difficult nowadays to get a visa appointment in India.

Is this the website http://www.vfs-germany.co.in/mumbai/sch … tment.html can you guide me.

Sejan5 wrote:

Some documents are very common and must for a spouse visa. Marriage certificate, your work contract, proof of accommodation, proof of health insurance
(besides the passport) are must for all the consulates. Some consulate asks for the birth certificate also ( I don't know why when you already have the passport :| )

How can I show proof of accommodation, proof of health insurance? I am still in India and I have only received the job contract. Will I get proof of accommodation and health insurance from my employer before I leave India. Only If I get those documents, I can apply for my husband while I am still in India.

Sejan5 wrote:

Regarding health insurance:
I suppose your health insurance is taken care of by your employer. If that's right, then please confirm with your employer if your husband will be given health insurance as your dependent. If yes, you can use it.

Sure, I will confirm. I had mentioned about the public health insurance to my employer so by default my husband will be covered but I'm not sure if they are offering public health insurance, I will surely ask.

Sejan5 wrote:

Regarding accommodation:
In Germany, it is must that a house should have enough living space for the number of persons living in it.  According to my research and experience, the minimum living space needed for one adult is 12/14 sqm.
If your employer is providing you with the accommodation, then please confirm with them that it meets the minimum living space standard for two persons as per the law.

Thanks I will ask this as well. It's really helpful that you have informed me all this in advance :)

Sejan5 wrote:

If you have any more specific question about the visa application, let me know. I will answer as much as I know. .

You have been of great help, I will contact you in case of doubts. Thanks again for your time. I will also share as much information I get on this thread so that others can benefit

Astral: "... should be permitted to work" does not necessarily mean self-employed. And a third-party webpage gives no legal certainty. I have seen family reunion visa that do not include a work permit, although most of them do. So better ask the authorities what he is allowed to do!
From a legal standpoint it is completely irrelevant what kind of business your husband is running, where the clients are and how/where he is paid. It only matters that he is working on it while living in Germany. The nature of his business might make it more or less feasible to do it "under the radar", but it is not allowed (nor advisable) to discuss such illegal acts in public on this forum.
The employer will certainly not provide health insurance - that's not the way it is done in Germany - and accommodation only if you negotiated for it. Your husband will not be covered under your public health insurance if he has his own income (above €450/month).

1. You don't need to wait until you get your visa. You can apply for a dependent visa for your husband along with your visa application. Meaning, when you are still in India, you both can apply together. You have a valid job contract, hence you can.

2.  Yes, but make sure if your city where you are falls under Mumbai embassy. Also, you should select the option for a long-term national visa (more than 90 days). I just went through the link you sent. It has much information on how you should schedule an appointment and the required things.
It has a link to the below link which explains how you should schedule an appointment.
https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/05 … /-/1987006

I would suggest that you spend a little bit more time on the website and know additional information also. Since my husband applied from the German Embassy in Singapore, I am familiar with that only. I can see there are some different procedures for an appointment for Mumbai embassy.

3. You had mentioned that your employer sponsors for your VISA. May I know what does it cover?
Do they help you with complete VISA processing? Meaning, they have arranged for any agency to support that?

Let me have two options just for discussion sake:

Option 1: They support you in the complete VISA processing either by themselves or through an agency. (Complete = including pre and post-relocation support)

In that case, they should support you in arranging for temporary accommodation (as the first step of relocation support), support you in registering with a health insurance provider (mostly it will be private). Of course, health insurance will be paid from your own income. It is just initial support for you to get registered with a health insurance provider. Of course, you can change it once you are in Germany.

( I am sorry if somewhere my statements about health insurance had misled you. Whether they support you in registering for health insurance or you do it by yourself, it is something that every individual pay from his/her pocket ( I mean income).)

So, you can discuss with your employer explaining that you are bringing your husband with you as a dependent and if they can support you in registering for health insurance for your husband also.
(Again, in some cases you don't need to pay separately for your dependent's health insurance, it can be a part of the family insurance. But in some cases, you have to pay separately for your dependent's health insurance also. "dependent - without his/her own income" ). So I suggest you talk to your employer and get clear details. J
Also, tell them clearly that you are bringing your husband along with you hence you need th\e accommodation they provide should be for 2 persons. If they say, they can't do it for dependents, you can ask them that you will pay for your husband's stay.

Just ask for their suggestions about what can be done in this case.   Just talk :) You may get some extra information.

Option 2:
They don't support the complete VISA processing. Only partial. (I don't know how much, it's just an assumption).

(Maybe they support only the post-relocation or they sponsor only the VISA fees and not any kind of relocation... Ask them clearly)

In that case, you can get travel *health* insurance (which covers Germany also) for you and your husband for maybe 6 months. Once you reach Germany, you can register with any one of the public or private health insurance providers.

Also, book a hotel or Airbnb apartment) for you and your husband and use that.   (yes, it's costly. But if you don't have an option!?!?! After coming to Germany, you can start searching for an apartment which will take 1-3 months at least.

(A friend of mine did like this since his company didn't support in any kind of visa processes. He took a travel health insurance which covers Germany also with a period of 6 months, booked a hotel for 3 months. Once he reached Germany, his company arranged for a relocation agent and helped him in getting settled - That's a topic for a different thread)

And as beppi said, if your employer doesn't support with your initial temporary accommodation (as part of relocation support), you can negotiate with them strongly. If they accept it is a good thing for you. Because some employers do. If not, you can do it by yourself.

Everything can be solved with a little more effort and research. So don't worry. You will figure the things out. You will always get help in some way or the other way.

beppi wrote:

Astral: "... should be permitted to work" does not necessarily mean self-employed. And a third-party webpage gives no legal certainty. I have seen family reunion visa that do not include a work permit, although most of them do. So better ask the authorities what he is allowed to do!
From a legal standpoint, it is completely irrelevant what kind of business your husband is running, where the clients are and how/where he is paid. It only matters that he is working on it while living in Germany. The nature of his business might make it more or less feasible to do it "under the radar", but it is not allowed (nor advisable) to discuss such illegal acts in public on this forum.
The employer will certainly not provide health insurance - that's not the way it is done in Germany - and accommodation only if you negotiated for it. Your husband will not be covered under your public health insurance if he has his own income (above €450/month).

My employer is applying for a blue card for me so if I get a blue card, by default my husband gets the right to work in Germany. That is what my employer said. But he won't be working in Germany as he already has a business. I will confirm with the embassy as well.

Also regarding taxes, A guy living in Germany for the past 10 years told me that once my husband is in Germany, after 1-2 months, he can apply for a freelance permit, register a company, open a bank account and then link his PayPal to his German bank. So the money goes to his German bank account and he pays taxes. Also, there is a treaty between India and Germany that one needs to pay taxes only in one country.

As for India, I will  need to file my returns but as it won't have any income, I won't have to pay income tax. I am still not sure about this but I will get help from my CA regarding the same.

beppi wrote:

I will confirm this with my employer.  I have been offered accommodation for the 1st month and then they will help find a place. 2 guys are assigned to help with dealing with all the legal aspects that I need to take care of after landing in Germany

Also, my employer mentioned in the contract that I will get all the benefits that come with the regular German social system (e.g. health insurance)

Thanks for helping.

Sejan5 wrote:

1. You don't need to wait until you get your visa. You can apply for a dependent visa for your husband along with your visa application. Meaning, when you are still in India, you both can apply together. You have a valid job contract, hence you can.

Ok so after my employer applies for my Visa from Germany, we can apply for husbands dependent visa in India and all he needs to show as a supporting document is my job contract but when I went through this link https://india.diplo.de/blob/1816236/7cf … kc6RVlxLZI

It says
For MUMBAI only – Please present the following additional documents:
Invitation letter of spouse, spouse's employment contract, spouse's salary slips of the past
three months, lease deed (if spouse is already residing in Germany)
Kindly also bring your marriage photo album along.

Sejan5 wrote:

2.  Yes, but make sure if your city where you are falls under Mumbai embassy. Also, you should select the option for a long-term national visa (more than 90 days). I just went through the link you sent. It has much information on how you should schedule an appointment and the required things.
It has a link to the below link which explains how you should schedule an appointment.
https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/05 … /-/1987006

Thanks a lot.

Sejan5 wrote:

3. You had mentioned that your employer sponsors for your VISA. May I know what does it cover?
Do they help you with complete VISA processing? Meaning, they have arranged for any agency to support that?

Help with bureaucracy and related issues (visa procedure, opening up a bank account etc). I am not sure if they will apply from there or guide me.  My employer told me that they are aiming for blue card

Sejan5 wrote:

Let me have two options just for discussion sake:

Option 1: They support you in the complete VISA processing either by themselves or through an agency. (Complete = including pre and post-relocation support)

In that case, they should support you in arranging for temporary accommodation (as the first step of relocation support), support you in registering with a health insurance provider (mostly it will be private). Of course, health insurance will be paid from your own income. It is just initial support for you to get registered with a health insurance provider. Of course, you can change it once you are in Germany.

yes, they have arranged 1st month accomodation for free. It will be fully paid by the company. Also they mentioned  I will get all the benefits that come with the regular German social system (e.g. health insurance)

Sejan5 wrote:

( I am sorry if somewhere my statements about health insurance had misled you. Whether they support you in registering for health insurance or you do it by yourself, it is something that every individual pay from his/her pocket ( I mean income).)

I'm not sure as well if they are helping me to get health insurance. Of course, I will be paying from my own pocket but if its a public health insurance, the dependent gets covered as well right.

Sejan5 wrote:

So, you can discuss with your employer explaining that you are bringing your husband with you as a dependent and if they can support you in registering for health insurance for your husband also.
(Again, in some cases you don't need to pay separately for your dependent's health insurance, it can be a part of the family insurance. But in some cases, you have to pay separately for your dependent's health insurance also. "dependent - without his/her own income" ). So I suggest you talk to your employer and get clear details. J
Also, tell them clearly that you are bringing your husband along with you hence you need th\e accommodation they provide should be for 2 persons. If they say, they can't do it for dependents, you can ask them that you will pay for your husband's stay.

Just ask for their suggestions about what can be done in this case.   Just talk :) You may get some extra information.

yes, I will ask them about this.   :)

Sejan5 wrote:

Everything can be solved with a little more effort and research. So don't worry. You will figure the things out. You will always get help in some way or the other way.

yes, Initially I was really worried but after getting information from various sources including this forum. I'm calm and can sort this out. Thanks for your help  :)

Let's hope what you heard about freelance or self-employed work on family reunion visa is true. I have not seen such clear statements fom any authoritative government source.

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

open a bank account and then link his PayPal to his German bank.
So the money goes to his German bank account and he pays taxes.

That won't be necessary - as I said, it does not matter where and how he is paid, it is taxable in Germany as long as he lives in Germany while doing the work (even if it goes to an Indian Paypal or bank account).

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

Also, my employer mentioned in the contract that I will get all the benefits that come with the regular German social system (e.g. health insurance)

The employer is not allowed to select which insurer (there are a few hundred) you choose. So you will have to register yourself after arrival. But you will of course get the benefits of the system (which is compulsory to join for anyone living in Germany).

Sejan5 wrote:

but if its a public health insurance, the dependent gets covered as well right.

ONLY if he has no or low own income (max. €450/month, but the details are complicated).
I thought, from your posts, that that is NOT the case for your husband?

beppi wrote:

Let's hope what you heard about freelance or delf-employed work on family reunion isa is true. I have not seen such lear statements fom any authoritative government source.

self-employment is allowed for the dependent if I have a blue card. This is what I have been informed.

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

The employer is not allowed to select which insurer (there are a few hundred) you choose. So you will have to register yourself after arrival. But you will of course get the benefits of the system (which is compulsory to join for anyone living in Germany).

beppi wrote:

ONLY if he has no or low own income (max. €450/month, but the details are complicated).I thought, from your posts, that that is NOT the case for your husband?

Yes, my husband does not fall under the low-income category. The information I got from you and from a person living in Germany from the past 10 years are totally different. I will need to consult an immigration lawyer

beppi wrote:

ONLY if he has no or low own income (max. €450/month, but the details are complicated).
I thought, from your posts, that that is NOT the case for your husband?

What the other person told is that  "Spouse are by default covered in the health insurance of the working spouse as long as you are unemployed, as soon as u get employed you automatically/bound to get an insurance.

As long as u have the money being paid is not in the German banking system or has a German tax id... all good"

Beppi,
Can you tell me which is the best place for a concrete answer? will the embassy give information regarding the same or can you suggest?

To get an authoritative answer, you'd have to consult an independent health insurance consultant in Germany. An immigration lawyer or relocation consultant can probably also answer your questions. The embassy won't help you, as this is not their job.
But the rules are clear: Dependents are only covered in the public scheme if they are dependent - thus anyone with an own income has to pay for themselves. And they count world income (of any source) for freelancers and self-employed (this is different for employees, which only pay on their salary - plus the employer pays half of the fees), as per the tax declaration. That's why many freelancers and self-employed are in the private scheme, where fees represent the financial risk for the insurer (i.e. they depend on age, job, pre-existing conditions, etc.) and are independent of income.
It might be tempting to not declare foreign income for taxes (and the chance of being found are low), but it is a criminal act with very high fines and even jail term possible. (Furthermore, illegal acts are not allowed to be discussed on this forum!)

beppi wrote:

To get an authoritative answer, you'd have to consult an independent health insurance consultant in Germany. An immigration lawyer or relocation consultant can probably also answer your questions. The embassy won't help you, as this is not their job.
But the rules are clear: Dependents are only covered in the public scheme if they are dependent - thus anyone with an own income has to pay for themselves. And they count world income (of any source) for freelancers and self-employed (this is different for employees, which only pay on their salary - plus the employer pays half of the fees), as per the tax declaration. That's why many freelancers and self-employed are in the private scheme, where fees represent the financial risk for the insurer (i.e. they depend on age, job, pre-existing conditions, etc.) and are independent of income.
It might be tempting to not declare foreign income for taxes (and the chance of being found are low), but it is a criminal act with very high fines and even jail term possible. (Furthermore, illegal acts are not allowed to be discussed on this forum!)

I was not talking anything illegal. I was talking from a legal standpoint.  some say the income he gets in India is taxable in India as he is not a German resident yet.  If he becomes a German resident, he will have to pay taxes but what you are saying is that he need to pay taxes in Germany as soon as he lands in Germany

In that case, won't India also tax him as the money is going into the Indian banking system? That would be double taxation

Here is a link that my employer gave and it says
http://www.bamf.de/EN/Infothek/FragenAn … -node.html

May the spouse of an applicant enter Germany at the same time as the applicant to apply for the subsequent immigration of family members on the spot?

If the applicant holds a national visa and has prospects of receiving an EU Blue Card in Germany, the "subsequently immigrating" spouse can also obtain a visa at the same time for joint entry to Germany. However, this applies in individual cases only and there is no legal entitlement for visa and entry at the same time with the main applicant.

For further information please contact the competent German mission abroad.

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

some say the income he gets in India is taxable in India as he is not a German resident yet.  If he becomes a German resident, he will have to pay taxes but what you are saying is that he need to pay taxes in Germany as soon as he lands in Germany
In that case, won't India also tax him as the money is going into the Indian banking system? That would be double taxation

International tax rules are an extremely complicated issue and you are well advised to consult a professional expert about this (they are rare and expensive!).
I don't know the Indian tax system. but I know (from dealing with other countries) that double taxation is a real possibility in the maze of national rules that are incompatible with one another - and it occurs far more often than the opposite of not having to pay tax at all. The chance of double taxation might be reduced by bilateral tax treaties, so you should check if there is one between Germany and India and what it says about his situation.
By German rules, he will have to pay tax on his world income as soon as he lands on German soil with a residence visa (this includes family reunion visa).

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

can freelancers and self-employed people apply for public insurance? I know the premium is high but isn't it worth the price?

The private scheme will most likely cost more (unless he is young and healthy), but depending on which tariff he chooses it might cover more treatments and luxuries (like single room in hospital).
Which system he has to join, or if he even can choose freely, also depends on a variety of factors like age, job, visa status and how/where he was insured before. Here again he should consult a professional expert and not depend on hearsay.
(For you, the case is probably clear: As an employee with income below €60750/year, you have to join the public scheme.)

Thanks a lot Beppi. I will get back to the forum once I have all the required information. Create a new thread so that I can share my experience.

I received my Visa and I will be going to Germany soon. Tickets booked and ready. After a months time, I will have a rented apartment so the necessary documents, my salary information, and rental agreement will help my spouse to apply for a dependent visa.  He will start the application after a month.

I applied via VFS Mumbai and they gave me a checklist which had a list of documents that I had to bring. It will include photographs as per Schengen visa requirements, a letter from Bundesagentur fur Arbeit, Work Contract from a German Company (offer letter), University Certificates, Curriculum Vitae, Additional Contact and legal representation information form, your passport, travel visa for 1-3 months I only took it for 1 month and wrote an explanation letter that I will be covered by my employer in Germany and it was accepted.

This website will help you with the national visa and other visa checklists https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/-/1803740 along with all necessary forms that you can download and fill online.

Just make sure you book an appointment soon. For national visa, you may have to email or call VFS if you are located in Mumbai to get an appointment.  Carry your appointment letter, reach there at least 30 mins prior, don't stress about the dress code "smart casuals" will do but make sure it's decent. Carry lots of xerox copies as you will need them. Arrange the documents as per the checklist provided by VFS and make a set of 3.  Carry blank forms in case you need to refill the form. Walking to VFS office is the fastest way to reach, if you book a cab, you will be stuck in traffic. It's hardly 15 mins away from the nearest railway station.

Hope this information is helpful.

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

I received my Visa and I will be going to Germany soon. Tickets booked and ready. After a months time, I will have a rented apartment so the necessary documents, my salary information, and rental agreement will help my spouse to apply for a dependent visa.  He will start the application after a month.

I applied via VFS Mumbai and they gave me a checklist which had a list of documents that I had to bring. It will include photographs as per Schengen visa requirements, a letter from Bundesagentur fur Arbeit, Work Contract from a German Company (offer letter), University Certificates, Curriculum Vitae, Additional Contact and legal representation information form, your passport, travel visa for 1-3 months I only took it for 1 month and wrote an explanation letter that I will be covered by my employer in Germany and it was accepted.

This website will help you with the national visa and other visa checklists https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/-/1803740 along with all necessary forms that you can download and fill online.

Just make sure you book an appointment soon. For national visa, you may have to email or call VFS if you are located in Mumbai to get an appointment.  Carry your appointment letter, reach there at least 30 mins prior, don't stress about the dress code "smart casuals" will do but make sure it's decent. Carry lots of xerox copies as you will need them. Arrange the documents as per the checklist provided by VFS and make a set of 3.  Carry blank forms in case you need to refill the form. Walking to VFS office is the fastest way to reach, if you book a cab, you will be stuck in traffic. It's hardly 15 mins away from the nearest railway station.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for this post! There are often Indians here asking for information but it seems few bother to pass on the advice they can from their own experiences. And the peculiarities of how things might be done in India or at certain consulates is something we non-Indians in Germany can never answer with certainty or inside knowledge.

Always happy to help another person in need. I know how frustrating it can be for a first timer  :)

My partner's dependent visa application is in progress but at the moment it's stuck. The consulate asked my partner to  "submit a signed rental agreement that mentions the area of the house in sq meters"

I had given my rental agreement, I have attached a screenshot, giving an idea about the document. 

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/094906058c526364266be7d02b644918154b0df6fc06dd4b13c6a4cbadb143ea7b5dcbfe.jpg

As there is mention of the total living area, what will I have to do at this stage?  Please suggest as I will need to submit the document to my partner soon so that the visa application can proceed.

Current apartment size is around 48m2 and the required apartment size for 2 people as per law is 28m2.

Just submit the rental agreement as requested!
If you have alreadysubmitted it and the embasy ased for the area ater that, then politely point them to the fact that it is already submitted.

Update - Contact updated. I hope this will be enough. I will share the entire process once everything is complete.

After submitting the updated contract, the visa application got approved in 3 working days.  The stamping will take up to 5 working days :)

Thank you, everyone, who helped

AstralinBielefeld wrote:

After submitting the updated contract, the visa application got approved in 3 working days.  The stamping will take up to 5 working days :)

Thank you, everyone, who helped

Thank you for the update, it is always nice to have feedback. Congratulations :)