Are Malaysians allowed to visit USA?

If you are Malaysian, have you visited US as a tourist? If so, how did you get a visa?

Perhaps different with family in the US, but my inlaws from Malaysia came out to San Francisco for our wedding oh about 10 years ago. They stayed for about 2-3 weeks.  If I remember correctly, we wrote a letter illustrating the purpose of the trip and approval was granted.

VWC....thanks for that. Im an american married to a malaysian but to my knowledge she isnt allowed to travel as a spouse because the marriage cant be proved in America unless it occurs there. So I wondered if she could travel as a tourist just to meet my parents before they die.

In the past, I have been in the US embassy in KL and it was always jammed with Malaysians wanting to do things like go to weddings, see Disneyland, travel around and ALL were denied. US denies because the Malaysian has a hard time proving they will actually use their return air ticket and not stay and hide in US, get jobs, etc.

At the same time, I also hear about frequent US travelers, one just yesterday who is a celebrity family and they all seem to go wherever they like and I wonder how they did it. Was it easy to prove they had the money and the reason to come back to Malaysia? Was it that they were so rich there was no reason to want to try to get a job in US or anywhere else?

The reason for my post was that the embassy publishes no rules or guidelines about basic tourism, no wealth limitations, no nothing. You pay USD330 for an application and if denied they dont tell you why. Thats why Id like to hear from those who did it and how so I appreciate your reply. I dont personally know any Malaysian who has ever been to US who wasnt a student or who didnt go for a job contract.

In Najibs time, the US was supposed to grant new and easy visas for US under Obama but then the program died even before Trump. I forget the name of the program, "visa waiver" or something.

Geez, ok, let me ask my wife later as to what we did exactly then or what her family did back there.  I mean, both her mom and dad, sister (whose family was back there) and entire older brother's family (spouse, two kids) came out.  You're right, I seem to recall needing to explain that they are just out here for our wedding and would be returning to Malaysia after.  I mean, who in their right mind would want to hang out in San Francisco, right????

Who would dare go to SF? Only people who dont know!
I went to school in SF and i loved it, i thought it was the greatest city in No America.  It hasnt been any good since 1980 and in decline ever since. I wouldnt even want to go there for a business meeting, let alone leisure time. And that mayor just became governor.

Three months ago i wrote to my congressman for help to get someone at the embassy to agree to take a phone call from me but he never replied. This is the kind of help they are supposed to give. All I want is the actual rules so that I can see if they can be met or not. But nobody wants to just say it out because then everyone would design their applications to match and the embassies (everywhere) think they can only get honesty from applicants if the applicants dont know the rules.  Malaysia immigration does that too. But the $330 application fee isnt refundable if you are declined and so you do what, apply 100 times, saying something different each time? Ridiculous.

Ok, I confirmed with my wife that all we did was write a statement stating the reasons for the visit and we provided bank statements to show I guess that we had enough resources that the likelihood our relatives from Malaysia would be staying for other than just our wedding was pretty much non existent. 

Now, going back to your situation, how is it that you can't provide proof (yes, not US) of your marriage to her?  Isn't there also a marriage license or something official from where you got married?

I suppose in your application and statement I would emphasize the reasons why your wife must return to Malaysia (job, house there, family, etc.).  Maybe you also provide bank statements to show that you and your wife have enough money there in Malaysia that the chances of her wanting to stay in the US is fairly remote.

Hope this helps...

We got married properly, the issue is that US says its not responsible to interpret foreign languages and since the foreign paperwork isnt in English, US claims the words could be anything. It was for this reason that many years ago US told me (and others) not to marry abroad, import your fiance on a fiance visa and marry in US. In 2004 I agreed to do that with my first fiance. We started the process and finally after much cost and two years of work, they agreed to let her go to US but she changed her mind and we broke. Point being not to marry abroad. For THIS marriage, my wife had and has no desire to go to US so we married outside and because frankly I didnt want to repeat the import procedure, it was painful and i'll never do it again. The purpose of the visit is that my parents are over 90 and they love the woman and just want to see her before they pass. They arent strong enough to come here.

The finances are about having enough on the US side to support her during the visit on the assumption only a poor person would run off, hide, get a job. She works full time here and with her family here she wouldnt run off anyway. I told her she is entitled to a green card but she doesnt want it and never brings it up. As it is, I dont have income on the US side so I cant show sufficient support THERE.

Im going home next month just to see my parents for a few weeks and yes its a shame my own wife cant join. Something is wrong with this picture.  Its not like Im asking to bring a stranger. Support questions shouldnt even arise when its family.

This strays from the topic but 3-4 years ago I was at LAX leaving and got to chatting with an american who married an Australian. They traveled to US on the plane and when they landed she was abruptly detained for violating immigration law and he was just about in tears. They held her until the next day when there was a flight back to Australia and he had to pay a fine or something, i dont remember. When I met him, he was at the airport again to leave back to Australia to join her.

So what im after is to learn the current laws and how, if any, a person can get a visa and go for a visit. Malaysia is on a 13-country hot list and its difficult. As it is, she is resigned to never being able to go and thats not sitting well with me.

It is certainly nowhere near actually meeting in person but can you set it up with someone here so that your folks can be by a computer to at least Skype communicate with your wife?  My wife video chats with her elderly mom in Malaysia every week or so.  Seeing her Mom at least visually and being able to talk to her is better than nothing (especially compared to back in the day when phone calling alone was spotty or really expensive).

If it were me, I would perhaps talk to someone again at the US consulate/embassy to try to get as much information from the source and then simply go for it by writing a pretty good, heart-felt statement that anyone reasonable should grant you your wish.  Until you try, you won't know and frankly I myself would feel guilty or think what if when it is too late. 

Good luck!!!

VWC,
Thanks for your replies and I completely agree with you, you have a good point of view about all this.

My writing in here was at the end of the line. We've been together eight years and over time I waited for a better immigration environment thats not likely to come. I could get her there using an improper method but thats exactly what i rail against so lets not do that. I want the front door on everything i do in life.

She has used skype in the past, and they write each other pretty often. They just never met. We got in an argument because they gave her chirstmas gifts and she didnt want to accept because in Asia, its the kids who are supposed to take care of the parents.

I was last at home Apr 2017 and I got a lot of pressure from my siblings to move back for a while to take care of my parents. Though they know my situation, how can I reasonably leave my wife for a year or two? I asked my parents to come to Malaysia and i'd set them up well and take care of them but they wont leave their home and friends.

I believe I could settle the matter in a real conversation with the embassy but there is nobody to talk to on the phone and if you appear at the counter, they just tell you to apply and take your chances. I can do that, I just havent had any faith that they would see any justification for her going based on the denials Ive seen before. I have a Malaysian friend whose employer booked her a summer course at Harvard last year. They paid, got an apartment, did everything well in advance and about 30 days before the trip she goes to the embassy to get her visa because everyone thought its a no-brainer, just a simple thing to go and pick up.  But she was flatly denied, as temporary education isnt a valid reason to go, only full time is, they said. She had me on the phone, what do I do! what do i do??

All this would be so easy if prior people hadnt so abused the system which led to everything being hard. I have a Cambodian friend in CA who brags he came as a tourist more than 20 years ago and just stayed and nobody ever bothered him. Now all of them are being picked off by ICE and they are screaming bloody murder that their human rights are being violated. But they broke the laws!!! **HE** is the reason my wife cant go for a visit!

What a tough nut to crack!!!

Ok, I realize your folks are old, but if they are willing, I suppose you fly them out to Malaysia for the meeting and a little bit of vacation.  They can stay, what, up to a few months?  That should be plenty.

Perhaps I am an eternal optimist, I still say your case is specifically yours and you really can't compare what happens to another family and say for sure that would happen to you too, or not.  It is a bit of money, but I would still try it if it were me.  I would try that route first and if they say no, then fly your folks out to Malaysia for a short visit.  Done!!!! 

My best friend's mom just passed away today.  Life is short.  I live by one motto:  No regrets!!!!

Oh im very sorry to hear that news and for their loss. I know life is short, thats why i was trying. We'll see what can be done.

VWC,
What state are you in?

I was binge-watching border videos where they catch drug smugglers and various criminals. There was one where a So. American woman showed up at JFK with no visa and expected entry. They held her back for questions and she said she was just coming to see her family for two weeks and go home. Immigration called her mother or someone who said it was true, except that she was planning to stay several months and go other places. Immigration thought she would stay to try to get a job which you cant do. But they talked it over and let her in. Given that Ive seen this before at LAX, is this what people do, just skip the visa process and take their chances? I thought airlines hold you back if you dont show a visa, thats what they always did to me coming to Malaysia.

Hey there,

California.  I was born and raised in San Francisco and met/married a lovely gal from Malaysia (Johor Barhu) originally and here we are thinking about early retirement with partial time to be spent in SF, Malaysia and maybe somewhere else. We will travel to where the weather is best....

The US government imposes a fine on any airline carrying a passenger to the USA if he/she has been accepted for carriage by the airline without proper verification of travel documents I.e. passport/visa

VWC wrote:

Hey there,

California.  I was born and raised in San Francisco and met/married a lovely gal from Malaysia (Johor Barhu) originally and here we are thinking about early retirement with partial time to be spent in SF, Malaysia and maybe somewhere else. We will travel to where the weather is best....

I was born in the midwest and we moved to SoCal and lived in the same town since 1955. CA doesnt hold any attraction for me anymore, id like to find another state. But mainly I will always prefer living outside US most of the time and like you say, divide time in different places. If I had a house in Wyoming or Idaho Id leave for the tropics when winter came.

caesar1956 wrote:

The US government imposes a fine on any airline carrying a passenger to the USA if he/she has been accepted for carriage by the airline without proper verification of travel documents I.e. passport/visa

Then I cant imagine why they would do it but they do.

Can you bring your parents to Malaysia?

Best bet is to visit the Consular office
Tell them your situation.

Show them that both you and your wife have stable jobs in in Malaysia
Letters from the employes
Your return tickets

I came to the US almost 40 years
My mom with my nephew came for a visit in 1999
I had to write a letter to the US consulate in KL that they would be under my support during the trip
She was given a 10 years visa

MalaysianAmerican,

Thats very interesting. And did you say 10 years visa for a visit? Thats amazing.  I think things have changed in 20 years!

My parents cant travel anymore.

Its sounding like attaching the right kind of letter might be the way. All im after is 1-2 weeks, thats it. Even five days. Of course, the time doesnt matter because once a person is in they can disappear. Its just curious that my Malaysian friends havent yet been able to go as tourists and they arent given reasons why.

Today you need a police background check and ive forgotten what else.

I was still thinking about your dire need :)

What best is this, in my opinion
Pay that fees, apply a visa for your wife

Attach supporting documents such as mariage certificates, proof of her employement, bank statements etc

MAKE A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION
If it is denied, get help from your local Congressman in The US
They can contact the Consulate office in KL

My 2 cents
Good luck

I am moving back to Malaysia for good by the end of this Summer
Been here for 40 years, time for a change

Wow, that is awesome.  Where did you stay in the US for those 40 years?

Nebraska 4 years,  when I did my college :)
Really nice place, midwestern values
Then Los Angeles since 1984

This is the best country of the surface of the earth
but I like to spend what left in my life back to where I was born

My nephew, his wife and 4 kids are planning to visit this summer
I don't see any problem for them getting visas
They have a stable business with a  few employees

Worst come to worst, you can fly to Canada, and have your parents meet her there
Airfare is cheap nowadays
Get your ticket like a month ahead of time
I paid only $450 roundtrip to KL for LA last December

Of course can la right.

Thanks for your advice.

Actually, at the risk of catching flak from you guys, my congressman offered from a year ago to simply give her the visa and I said NO.  It involves corruption and i want everything to go in and out the front door.

Im going to visit them in two weeks and they are mighty pissed off im not bringing her. Though my parents are the honest type, they cant understand why im not willing to do a corrupt thing out of urgency. I tell them i blame them for raising me this way and also not to be a hypocrite. I told them yesterday I will work on the application for possibly another trip this year but they shouldnt hold their breath. But the checklist of things to do which might not even result in a visa is slap in the face to people trying to do things the right way versus the constant flow of illegals who get the red carpet.

(I paid $750 for my ticket to LA, about six weeks in advance. You pay more from Penang than KL. But I cant go to KL first because on Air Asia you pay dearly for overweight luggage, plus the tickets themselves and then there is no savings. I use the max of 23kg x 2 allowed for international flights.  MAS had a flight from Penang to LA via KL but it would be the same for the domestic part, a high charge for luggage on the domestic part because they are separate flights and airplanes. Penangites could save money if they went with a light bag and on the BUS to KL but who wants to do that? This is also information for people who want to live in Penang, travel costs more and is less convenient, even to Bangkok which is closer to Penang than KL. However, Penang is also growing so maybe this will even-out in the future.)

cvco wrote:

We got married properly, the issue is that US says its not responsible to interpret foreign languages and since the foreign paperwork isnt in English, US claims the words could be anything.

OMG, did you think about making a certification, then an Apostille (or authentication) for your marriage licence in the country, and then translation to English with certification and an Apostille on your translation? Sounds complicated, but this is a proper legal procedure for filing your foreign documents with any foreign government offices.
Did you really just brought your document to the government office without certification, authentication and translation??

cvco wrote:

US told me (and others) not to marry abroad, import your fiance on a fiance visa and marry in US.

Wow, this is a completely imaginary statement! One can marry anywhere abroad, show a proper document as I described above, and it will be accepted without any problems. This was the same policy many years ago as is to this day.

cvco wrote:

my congressman offered from a year ago to simply give her the visa and I said NO.  It involves corruption and i want everything to go in and out the front door.
Im going to visit them in two weeks and they are mighty pissed off im not bringing her. Though my parents are the honest type, they cant understand why im not willing to do a corrupt thing out of urgency.

Really? Any proof to this story? Why didn't you go to an Attorney General to report corruption?

MalaysianAmerican wrote:

I had to write a letter to the US consulate in KL that they would be under my support during the trip
She was given a 10 years visa

10 years visa is not the same as to stay for 10 years. A visitor can stay only for 6 months as a tourist and then must leave the US for 6 months.

Expat000,

You are misunderstanding a few things. Around 2003 before I applied for a visa for my fiance to go to US to marry, the immigration dept ADVISED me to not marry abroad, wait for arrival in US and then marry in order to easily prove that a wedding actually happened. Foreign marriages are not easily proved, they said.

Today, in a different circumstance, my Congressman said he could provide a tourist visa so my wife could visit my parents but I know he cannot do this legally and i didnt want to be a party to a corrupt act so I declined the help. There is nothing to report to anybody because nothing happened.

Meantime, I met twice with my Congressman in February. In the legal way of doing things, its as others have already said in this thread. You apply, and add what is hopefully a passionate story to try to persuade the immigration dept at the US embassy in KL to agree to grant a visa. What our Congressman can do is add his own support letter to our application. So I understand the correct process but that doesnt mean success will come. Thats why i opened the thread, to learn from others how they succeeded.