Work permit for internship (student)

Hello

I want work in Brussels as an intern for about 12 weeks (less than 90 days).  Will be paid about 500 euros per month (less than a minimum salary).  Most internships in europe are either paid none or less than minimum wages.

Would I still need a work permit?  But I was told that the work permit is issued to only those earning more than minimum wages.

The Belgium embassy said I should get in touch with the city authority for work permit issues and the city was rather vague for those earning less than minimum wages. Any info would be appreciated.

Frank

Hello,

To be able to work as a trainee in Belgium, a foreign national must, in principle, have a valid work permit. This requirement is not binding on the national of a Member State of the European Economic Area (ie the European Union, plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland.

The regulation provides, however, for several cases of exemptions from the work permit requirement (in addition to the above-mentioned exemption for nationals of the European Economic Area) for foreign trainees.

Trainees are people who are doing an internship, ie apprenticeship with an employer of a profession in continuation of prior training attested by a diploma or a certificate of studies.

The employer of the trainee must, for its part, obtain a license of occupation when the trainee is subject to the obligation of the work permit.

Are exempted from the obligation to obtain a work permit:

students who undertake compulsory internships for the purposes of their studies in Belgium;
trainees occupied by a Belgian public authority;
trainees employed by an international public-law organization established in Belgium and whose status is governed by a treaty in force, or occupied under a program approved by that organization.
Occupancy permit and work permit
An employer who wishes to occupy a trainee must apply for a permit of occupation from the competent regional authority.

This authorization is granted without examination of the labor market but under certain other conditions.

The trainee must be at least eighteen years of age and have not reached the age of thirty on the date of the authorization of occupation and the work permit.

He must make a commitment not to work in Belgium during the period of the internship.

The internship must be full-time, it may not exceed twelve months and must be the subject of an internship contract that indicates the number of hours of training and the amount of remuneration that can not be less than the legal minimum ( this includes the amount of any scholarships).

The internship must be accompanied by a training program. The age limit of thirty years is not applicable to trainees recruited by a university, a higher education institution or a recognized scientific institution.

The trainee receives a work permit B in case of granting the occupation permit to the employer.

Wages & Fees

The internship, carried out as part of your studies, is free of charge: the trainee student receives from the training supervisor no remuneration, money or benefits in kind.

The award of allowances for costs actually incurred and gifts truly of this character does not constitute a breach of the free nature of the probationary period.

An internship in a company outside your studies must be paid (according to your age and according to a calculation made from half of the monthly minimum wage).

Thank you very much. Very helpful. A few clarifications if you don't mind.

So I gather the work permit is needed even if the training period is less than 90 days.

You said that "The internship, carried out as part of your studies, is free of charge".

Q1. This applies even if the study is done in Canada (that is the university program requires that I need to have an internship anywhere in the world related to my study).

You also said that "The award of allowances for costs actually incurred and gifts truly of this character does not constitute a breach of the free nature of the probationary period."

Q2. This applies that I am allowed to receive some stipend to cover the cost of rent or meals?

Thank you so much.

Hi,

All information relates to Belgium. If you want information on the Canadian system, ask your questions about the Canadian part of this website.

TC

Hy will interns who required to do Internship as part of study they also should have work permit?

@phiphiemar - Thank you for this detailed response. You mention the internship age range to be 18-30. I am over 30. Will this be an issue for my work permit B and internship?
Thank you

Hong_Kong_John wrote:

@phiphiemar - Thank you for this detailed response. You mention the internship age range to be 18-30. I am over 30. Will this be an issue for my work permit B and internship?
Thank you

Hi,

What I wrote are the official positions of Belgium. So yes, it will be a problem if you are older than the limit. Your request will be automatically rejected...

Except if you're recruited by an university.