Malaysia Automated foreigner e-Gate for fast immigration clearance

Dear All,
Good Morning,
Recently Malaysia has started to e-Gate for foreigner to fast immigration clearance.
Some Key Points:
1.Avoid Queue
2.Registration Booth available only on KLIA and KLIA2 Arrival Hall.
3.Registration Booth timing
9:00 AM -1:00 PM
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

What does the change mean? Foreign nationals who hold these passes can now use the eGate at Kuala Lumpur International Airport to avoid long queues.

Implementation time frame: Completed.
Visas/permits affected: Long-term passes such the Employment Pass and Dependent Pass.
Who is affected: Foreign employees and their dependents.
Impact on processing times: eGates provide faster lanes and shorter clearance procedures.
Business impact: Foreign employees and dependents holding long-term passes will pass through airport checkpoints faster upon entry and exit.

This has been in force under another name for some while but now I believe a printout is produced when using the gate. This is important for Tax Resident purposes for proof of arrival as passport not stamped. Its optional to use it. It has been known to malfunction and then must get printout equivalent at the service desk. For those in the process of calculating 182 days for first full tax year it may still be advisable to get your passport stamped.

Is the registration counter after immigration, before baggage claim at KLIA? Is it accessible from domestic arrivals, or only international? I usually only go through KLIA/2 in transit to Langkawi, or via domestic arrivals LGK to KL

Good advice about the e-Gate. I've recently had a lot of problems because I used the e-gate rather than going through and getting my passport stamped. I've done nothing I shouldn't have but when it comes to changing employers it seems there's no way to get an official record of entry and exit dates. I could collect the tickets from the e-gate, but I'm not sure if they'd be accepted. I've tried going to the immigration office at both the airport and in Putrajaya, each of them said it was the other office that was supposed to issue the official record. I'm still stuck. If anyone knows a way to get this I'm all ears!

Hello,

I've confirmed with immigration office that category I/II EP holder can also register their passport at following location.

Please try this another option if you are already in Malaysia and can't get in airplane:

Pass (DP11) Unit

Expatriate Services Division (ESD),

Headquarters of the Immigration Department Malaysia,

Level 3 (Podium) Blok 2G4, Precint 2,

Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,

62550 Putrajaya

Tel : 03-88801440/1449

*Please check operation hour on Jabatan Imigresen homepage.

Please be advised that immigration office didn't mention about MM2H or other long-term visa holders.

For further information, please contact [email protected].

Good luck.

Works great at KlIA. At KLIA2 there is only an e-gate for foreigners when you return to Malaysia, not when you depart!

Queues are often long at the manual processing so I am thinking to quit flying AirAsia for that sole reason.

Manabu wrote:

Hello,

I've confirmed with immigration office that category I/II EP holder can also register their passport at following location.

Please try this another option if you are already in Malaysia and can't get in airplane:

Pass (DP11) Unit

Expatriate Services Division (ESD),

Headquarters of the Immigration Department Malaysia,

Level 3 (Podium) Blok 2G4, Precint 2,

Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,

62550 Putrajaya

Tel : 03-88801440/1449

*Please check operation hour on Jabatan Imigresen homepage.

Please be advised that immigration office didn't mention about MM2H or other long-term visa holders.

For further information, please contact [email protected].

Good luck.

I phoned the ESD office (they don't reply to emails). They told me that MM2H holders can register for Autogates only at the airport, not at Putrajaya. Unfortunately, it seems that will necessitate taking an international flight (for people who are already in Malaysia) because the registration desk is between Immigration and Customs and cannot be accessed without flying into KLIA. If anyone knows different, please advise.

I managed to register without taking a flight. I went to the arrivals area at KLIA2. There's a steel barrier where people wait to greet arriving passengers. Walk to the right hand end and you can see the Foreigner E-Gates booth through the glass doors. Ask the security guard to be allowed to enter in order to register. I flashed my MM2H pass and was let in. At the booth registration took only a couple of minutes. They put a green sticker in my passport to show that I've registered.

Immigration officers at KLIA and KLIA2 asked me to register to use e-gates. The registration desk refers me to Putrajaya Immigration Department who in turn send me to the tourism department all of whom say it is up to the guy at the airport who still refuses to register me. I am RM175 poorer on taxi fares and still not registered despite been eligible, do not waste your time trying to register.

penfold126 wrote:

Immigration officers at KLIA and KLIA2 asked me to register to use e-gates. The registration desk refers me to Putrajaya Immigration Department who in turn send me to the tourism department all of whom say it is up to the guy at the airport who still refuses to register me. I am RM175 poorer on taxi fares and still not registered despite been eligible, do not waste your time trying to register.

On what basis are you eligible - MM2H or Employment Permit?

What reason did the guy at the registration booth give for turning  you away?

I  am on MM2H, registration man said I need a "sticker" whatever that is, said I was not registered on their system, but definitely am.  Immigration and Tourist department both see no reason for not been registered do not know what sticker is either.

Then assuming you have the MM2H full-page sticker in your passport, the only other sticker he can be referring to is the green one that is placed in your passport after you register for e-gates. That's what he is supposed to do for you. I can only think that there must have been some major miscommunication between the two of you.

EDIT: I think you do need to have used the passport before to enter Malaysia in order to have a record in the computer system. Is it a brand new passport obtained by post, perhaps?

1.  I have full MM2H sticker, used before.
2.  The man at KLIA2 E-gate had already turned down 2 ex pats before me.
3.  The man hardly speaks any English.
4. I had a local Malay educated to university standard and in English acting as both interpreter and witness.
5.  The man at KLIA2 stated the green sticker is obtained from Immigration at Putrajaya.
6 Both immigration at Putrajaya and the Tourist department confirmed it is his job to issue the green sticker and I am registered on their system.
6.  There is no major miscommunications some-one sitting there at KLIA2 bored out of their mind unable to change gear and do their job to issue a green sticker.
7.  Both immigration and the tourist department can find no justification for refusal to issue a green sticker.  All visas in my passport reflect the expiration date of my MM2H
8.  I have a witness there is no major or any other miscommunication and the interpreter/witness can confirm all of this including translation with the  immigration department at window 14 and the tourist department who have their own special lift.
9. My statement stills stands you might find yourself wasting your time attempting to register at the e-gate.

Evidently you did all you could, but ran into an incompetent, uncooperative officer. Did you take note of his name? Can you complain to his superiors?

We can only hope that other people who go to register encounter the officer who processed my passport in two minutes, with a smile.

Thanks for the advice, will record on my mobile phone next time. Glad you had no problems.

If you don't mind can you please post the picture of the green sticker. Just want to make sure we are getting the right one. Really appreciate. And where there will paste the green sticker

mebys18 wrote:

If you don't mind can you please post the picture of the green sticker. Just want to make sure we are getting the right one. Really appreciate. And where there will paste the green sticker

I'm reluctant to post a pic because it has too many personal identification features on it. It's a light green sticker, about 1 inch tall by 3 inches wide. At the top it says "Malaysia Immigration Department"(twice) and underneath those, "Foreigner e-Gate". It will show the registration date and your passport number and some other codes. There is what looks like a simple QR code in the middle. In my passport it was affixed at the top of the page directly opposite my MM2H sticker.

Hi Guys,

Can I register for the egate if I have PVP (professional visit pass)

grvngr wrote:

Hi Guys,

Can I register for the egate if I have PVP (professional visit pass)

I'm not sure. Try phoning the ESD, you may be able to register at their office in Putrajaya.

Hi All,

I recently tried to register for E-gate but was rejected by the officer at the counter, and quite rudely I must add. I hold a long-term social pass as a spouse of a Malaysian, but it was a plain 'NO' for him. Is that right? Or was it just an incompetent personnel? Don't get the logic - why is the spouse of an employment pass holder is given clearance, and the spouse of a citizen not....

Hi,

I recently got my EP renewed. Do I need to register for e-gate again or the old one would still work. Can anyone please advise.

I recently tried to register for E-gate but was rejected by the officer at the counter, and quite rudely I must add. I hold a long-term social pass as a spouse of a Malaysian, but it was a plain 'NO' for him. Is that right? Or was it just an incompetent personnel? Don't get the logic - why is the spouse of an employment pass holder is given clearance, and the spouse of a citizen not....

From what I've read those of us with spousal visa don't qualified. Why, no clue.

@Celia62
after the Immi counter...next to CIMB exchange branch....only accessible at International arrival ....
@grvngr
Yes....as long long term pass visit
Hi Aiman81,

Welcome to expat.com, and thank you for taking the time to answer to other members doubts. However this is an old thread.

If you want to share your experience, please do not hesitate to do so on other conversations of the Malaysia Forum.

Vero
Expat.com team

@benhails You have to Menara IKHLAS Putrajaya office 3rd floor Counter 2 , and to write an application requesting  the entry and exit details with photo copy of visa and passport.

Hello sudeepdas235,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I suggest you check other threads posted on the Malaysia forum to see if you can assist other members.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team