EU Schengen visa on Indian passport which needs update

Hi Friends - I am from India and came to France on Schengen visa, which is valid till Nov2018.
Now France company is going to process the work permit.
The problem is: My given name has my father name included i.e Balaji Lakshminarayana
(My name: Balaji, My father name: Lakshminarayana). (There is no issue in my surname)
Now, in my wife's and son's passport, my name is just as Balaji.
I would like to go back india and get my passport updated (removing my father's name from my given name). I would like to provide correct passport copy in france during pre formalities for work permit processing
My question is: Can i go india and get this change done and come back with new passport and old passport (Which has VISA) before Nov 2018? Is this ok? I am worried as there will be a change in my given name in New Passport. Please help me guys. I am in big confusion.

balunraaj wrote:

Hi Friends - I am from India and came to France on Schengen visa, which is valid till Nov2018.
Now France company is going to process the work permit.
The problem is: My given name has my father name included i.e Balaji Lakshminarayana
(My name: Balaji, My father name: Lakshminarayana). (There is no issue in my surname)
Now, in my wife's and son's passport, my name is just as Balaji.
I would like to go back india and get my passport updated (removing my father's name from my given name). I would like to provide correct passport copy in france during pre formalities for work permit processing
My question is: Can i go india and get this change done and come back with new passport and old passport (Which has VISA) before Nov 2018? Is this ok? I am worried as there will be a change in my given name in New Passport. Please help me guys. I am in big confusion.

I doubt anyone but the immigration officials or consulate can definitively answer this question but my guess would be that it is not possible. But since you are going to France then you would be dealing with French authorities so I'm not sure why you post this to the German forum? Not the same country. Most customs and immigration officers just do their job, one has a valid passport with visa – or not. Dealing with unusual circumstances like this is beyond what they might be able or allowed to decide. When in doubt they will probably say no. Sounds like a high risk of trouble so it would be best if you can get everything done correctly before returning. They can also ask why you didn't straighten out this problem from the beginning.

But from what you say, it sounds like you have a first name and no surname? If true, this is contrary to international standards and might cause trouble itself. Maybe by default they included the father name as further identification. A passport just issued to some guy named “Joe” sounds questionable. But “Joe, son of Pete”, at least gives more details. I researched in the internet and found information that people in southern Indian usually have multiple names: village-name, father's name, given-name, family-name, and caste-name. Some of them like the village or caste-name often get dropped off for reasons of avoiding prejudice against caste and to shorten them to western standards. But this is usually a voluntary decision. To shorten to just a single name is problematic. In the end I think it is important to have consistency. If one gets important things like University degrees or marriage licenses etc. issued in a name then one should stick with it. Using a different name later can lead to confusion or rejection of documents! Thus I wonder if it is worth all of the trouble - or if your plan might actually make things worse rather than better.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-most-South … -a-surname

If you are going to France, why do you ask on the Germany forum?
In general, buerocrats all around the world follow strict rules and are precise with the details. This means you need to have the same name on all documents (passport, visa, etc.), or they won't accept it. This means, for your case, that, if you change your name (for whatever reason), all documents need to be updated (incl. visa), not just your passport. Don't forget your birth cert and educational certificates - you'll need them too to work in Europe!