Lawyers in Mazatlan

Anyone know a good layer who speaks English in Mazatlan than can help in purchase of a condo?

Billyjoek wrote:

Anyone know a good layer who speaks English in Mazatlan than can help in purchase of a condo?

You should check with the embassy and see what they recommend. They have a list. After all, there are good lawyers and people who say they are good lawyers.

Where do you contact an embassy? I need my temp. residency  I will have the u. S. part done.

bothner06 wrote:

Where do you contact an embassy? I need my temp. residency  I will have the u. S. part done.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/, you might also check with the Mexican counsel if you will be there.

and https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consul … adalajara/

We contacted a number posted at the door of the Mazatlan consulate. They don't make appointments there. We were instructed to call the US Gov State department. Well that a bit of a confusing nightmare with no success. Would not recommend unless you know exactly where you need to go in their maze. Finally gave up. Decided to contact the US Mexican Embassy in Mexico City. Success! In little time found the appropriate phone #. Called and got an appointment the next day. Got a list of lawyers (not vetted), but a good start. Will follow-up in future.

Billyjoek wrote:

We contacted a number posted at the door of the Mazatlan consulate. They don't make appointments there. We were instructed to call the US Gov State department. Well that a bit of a confusing nightmare with no success. Would not recommend unless you know exactly where you need to go in their maze. Finally gave up. Decided to contact the US Mexican Embassy in Mexico City. Success! In little time found the appropriate phone #. Called and got an appointment the next day. Got a list of lawyers (not vetted), but a good start. Will follow-up in future.

That's very interesting, I never had that problem with Merida. I contacted them online and scheduled an appointment online. So it must be a Mazatlan issue. Hope you reported it.

How did your Lawyer search go?  I am looking for one for one for similar reasons.  Any recomedations?

crawsharon wrote:

How did your Lawyer search go?  I am looking for one for one for similar reasons.  Any recomedations?

The best source is the embassy. They will provide a list of lawyers they are aware of. Otherwise, it could become a gamble unless you personally know of someone who was happy with there experience. If you speak Spanish the possibilities increase, but many coming to Mexico do not speak Spanish.  Then there is the understanding law thing. So if I were you I would talk to the counsel  or embassy.

A little education for us lead to the fact that in Mexico, Notary's play the role of “lawyer” in Mexico, and right now we need legal help in closing on a property. We were also steered to a firm in Mazatlan and have enlisted there services. In her firm she said most of the notaries were also lawyers and the firm could help with any issues should they arise. Also, the firm we sought out was dual languages: English/Spanish. Also our experience with the US consulate in Mazatlan was good, and they supplied us with a list of lawyers, but they weren't vetted. It was easy to find our Notary, by doing an online search for an English speaking lawyer/notary in Mazatlan. Also at the US consulate, you had to make an appointment. You can't walk through the door for info. That was a bit confusing because you have to schedule that appointment through the US Embassy in Mexico City.

Billyjoek wrote:

A little education for us lead to the fact that in Mexico, Notary's play the role of “lawyer” in Mexico, and right now we need legal help in closing on a property. We were also steered to a firm in Mazatlan and have enlisted there services. In her firm she said most of the notaries were also lawyers and the firm could help with any issues should they arise. Also, the firm we sought out was dual languages: English/Spanish. Also our experience with the US consulate in Mazatlan was good, and they supplied us with a list of lawyers, but they weren't vetted. It was easy to find our Notary, by doing an online search for an English speaking lawyer/notary in Mazatlan. Also at the US consulate, you had to make an appointment. You can't walk through the door for info. That was a bit confusing because you have to schedule that appointment through the US Embassy in Mexico City.

Well, it looks like you found some answers for yourself.  Be aware that even though a notary is often used the locals are VERY careful about who they choose. Some businesses are not totally accepting of notary work. There are people who hang up a shingle and don't actually have the legal background to do the job. All notaries are not lawyers you see, and all people with law degrees are not necessarily good lawyers. That's true of most countries including the U.S.

As for the U.S. counsel, I contacted them by e-mail and only needed to see them in Merida once to renew my passport.  Also, there were two stages of notary paperwork I went through. The good-to go notarized paperwork and the certified version.

Ok, so now I stand sort of corrected. It is Mexico after all. Which means like getting directions from more than one person, there is more than one opinion on anything not posted on a Government website. For all I know, there are probably some differences there also.

I now have three native opinions on Notaries. They may all be lawyers, most may be lawers, and they are lawyers appointed by the governor who has had some experience in politics. Take your pick  ;):lol: