Updated 7 months ago

Most visitors to Mexico do not need a visa, and upon arrival are typically granted permission to stay in the country for a maximum of 180 days.

The list of visa-exempt countries can be found on this webpage. It is necessary to have a passport that will remain valid for at least six months after arrival.


The tourist information form is called the FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple, or Multiple Migration Form). It is usually given out on airplanes before arrival or otherwise is readily available in airports or at border crossings.

The card is available in English and Spanish, and filling it out is pretty straightforward. Along with personal information such as your name, nationality, and passport number, you will need the address of where you will be staying in Mexico, so be sure to have that information ready. In rare cases, the officer will ask to see your return tickets and hotel reservation, so have those prepared as well.

The immigration officer will stamp your passport and the bottom half of the FMM form. On both stamps, the officer will write the amount of time you are allowed to remain in the country. It is important to save the bottom half of the FMM form because you will turn it in when you leave. If you don’t have this form, there is a fine of 525 pesos, or $42 USD.

For a stay of more than 180 days

If you wish to spend more than 180 days in Mexico, whatever your nationality, you will need to obtain a temporary resident visa. The request should be made at a Mexican embassy or consulate in your home country. Documents to be produced are:

  • The application form
  • A passport that is valid for more than a year
  • Copies of your passport’s first page
  • Proof of income (recent bank statements or pay stubs that show a monthly income of about $1,500 USD)

Immigration tax

All foreigners have to pay a tourist tax of 500 pesos (about $30 USD) to enter Mexico, whether coming by air, land, or sea. This tax is automatically included in the price of plane tickets. If you come by land, you will pay this tax upon leaving. You do not have to pay this tax if your visit is for less than 24 hours.

 Useful links:

List of countries whose citizens require or do not require a tourist visa
FMM Multiple Migration Form
National Migration Institute

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.