Renting an apartment as a tourist

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I haven't arrived in Mexico but will be there at the end of this month and am wondering if it's possible or doable to rent an apartment on a six month tourist card with the intent to leave when it expires and re-enter. Has anyone ever done this? I imagine there's risk in leaving possessions behind without being certain I'll be able to leave and come back to Mexico indefinitely...Have been offered a very cute and affordable place to rent in Cuernavaca....

I have never had anything but a 6 month visa.  Arrived in 2006. Just keep renewing it at the border but then I am close to the border.

Caution................check the previous tenants electric usage if you will pay electric.  I don't know what it is like in that area but in Playas, you will pay the previous tenant's rate until you have a year of your own usage.

I've been living in Mexico for over seven years.
It doesn't matter what kind of visa you have as far as I know.
I've rented 3 apartments under 3 sets of conditions and have never been taken.
One was a verbal agreement where I paid all utilities except city water and contributed to non structural repairs.
That was probably illegal because Mexican law requires the landlord to pay for all maintenance.
Even so, I came out ahead.  The total cost over 4 years was less than the rent I had paid earlier under a standard rental contract laying out the landlord's obligations under the law.

I was responsible for electricity in the apartment that had no written lease.  There is only one electric company in Mexico, CFE, government owned.  Almost no one has an electric company account in their own name.  Once a property has an account, most tenants leave it in the original person's name.

There 3 or 4 rates applied progressively as total consumption increases.  Monthly or every other month, you go down to a CFE location and pay your bill at current rates in cash:  none of that paying "former tenant's" rates.  If you have a Mexican credit card you may be able to pay by credit card.  That doesn't seem likely in your case.  The landlord is responsible for any unpaid bills from the former tenant.

My current lease is all inclusive and says so in writing.

No matter what kind of visa you're on, you shouldn't have any concern for property left in the apartment unless you have some reason to believe Mexico could find a legitimate reason to not let you back in.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever left possessions behind or do you pack everything when you cross the border?

Hi Gudgrief! Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I've heard that anything's possible when you're entering Mexico now because of tighter controls. For example, they no longer automatically offer 6 months when you enter and can offer just 3 if they choose. Have also heard Mexico is trying to stop people from endlessly renewing tourist permits and making it more difficult to do this. I guess I'm feeling a little uncertain about my ability to rent for longer than the date on my card since there's no guarantee I'll get back in once I leave...

Oldladyman wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever left possessions behind or do you pack everything when you cross the border?

I'm a permanent resident.  I leave everything except what I need for the length of the trip.  I am also in a gated compound within a gated compound.  But even in the other two apartments, I had no hesitation to leave my stuff.  Have you heard of any specific incidents where stuff people left was stolen?  This is the first time anyone has ever expressed concern about leaving possessions in a rented room or apartment.

I'm not afraid of robbery. I'm afraid of not being able to 're enter Mexico after leaving and losing access to things I left behind

Oldladyman wrote:

I'm not afraid of robbery. I'm afraid of not being able to 're enter Mexico after leaving and losing access to things I left behind

I already asked if you have any concrete reason to think they wouldn't let you back in.
People have been jumping back and forth every 6 months for years on end without any problems.
Perhaps one of them will comment here.

anne stromberg wrote:

I have never had anything but a 6 month visa.  Arrived in 2006. Just keep renewing it at the border but then I am close to the border.

Caution................check the previous tenants electric usage if you will pay electric.  I don't know what it is like in that area but in Playas, you will pay the previous tenant's rate until you have a year of your own usage.

Are you paying your electric bill to someone other than CFE?  Are you checking the meter yourself to be sure you're billed for the correct number of KWH's and from the correct meter?

I never paid for a previous tenant's use, but I did have to fight for correct meter readings.  After they screwed up fixing things, I went a year without paying a cent (centavo.)

Well yes, initially it seemed like border runs were routine and simple. But the more I read the more it seems that entering and re entering Mexico can lead towards being denied entry. I have also read that you can only exit and 're enter twice per year as per tighter controls

That's news to me.  It won't hurt to ask at a consulate.

gudgrief wrote:
anne stromberg wrote:

Are you paying your electric bill to someone other than CFE?  Are you checking the meter yourself to be sure you're billed for the correct number of KWH's and from the correct meter?

I never paid for a previous tenant's use, but I did have to fight for correct meter readings.  After they screwed up fixing things, I went a year without paying a cent (centavo.)

She´s talking about if the previous tenant was in the DAC rate the new tenant will be paying this very high KWH rate until the average KWH consumption [it´s averaged for six months] goes back down to the regular subsidized 3  rates which could take a few months, not a year, if you stay below the allowable KWH per month to stay subsidized.

Sorry to disagree  I have lived in 4 different apts and 2 hourses in Playas.
I have always chosen to live among the locals.

My electric bill  during the first 4 apts was based on the previous tenant's  usage.  When after 4 years,  I  moved into a house (and stayed there for three years),  beginning the second year in that house,  my bill was based on the previous 12 months (my usage) and any time I kept my KW to 600 or less for the 2 months (which I was able to do) I got a 50% reduction in my bi monthly bill. 

I used electricity for cooking, had a side by side  22 foot fridge and I had a washer (dryer was gas).  I also had a wll equipped home office with computer, monitor (the old kind which uses more KW than the newer flat screens which I eventually purchased. and several other
office "machines"  ie robotics,. vonage, copier, et al including an indoor  antenna that enabled me to get the San Diego channels,

SORRY BUT I WAS ALWAyS CHARGED based on the previous tenant.  I rented a house for 500$ a month and started getting $400-$500 electric bills.  After a big hassle with CFE (and replacing at my cost, meter and breaker receptable) plus having a licensed electrical company check out the entire house,I eventually  learned what was happening. (Not speaking Spanish made this a bit more difficult!) 

The previous tenants illegally cooked   fish for fish taco vendors every morning in huge quantities, on electric hot plates.   They were running 8 hot plates for 6 hours every morning.  The owner was gracious to let me out of the lease after 6 months of paying these very high bills.  He was trying to get CFE to NOT base future bills on the fish taco people.  I do not know how that worked out.  He had been unaware of the commercial kitchen by the previous tenants.

The government might  say the   owner has to maintain the property but good luck with that.  Be prepared for resistance if you get a greedy owner.
Any idea of taking the matter to court is pointless. One help I found in renting, is to talk to neighbors in adjacent buildings. I found that sending
a local to check out the building was worth what I paid him for his time.

The electric bill always remains in the name of the property owner.

Hey thanks for the heads up about electricity rates. I was just worrying about not being able to leave and enter multiple times and losing access to possessions I may leave behind, but thanks for this information also! I appreciate all advice.

anne stromberg wrote:

Sorry to disagree  I have lived in 4 different apts and 2 hourses in Playas.
I have always chosen to live among the locals.

My electric bill  during the first 4 apts was based on the previous tenant's  usage.  When after 4 years,  I  moved into a house (and stayed there for three years),  beginning the second year in that house,  my bill was based on the previous 12 months (my usage) and any time I kept my KW to 600 or less for the 2 months (which I was able to do) I got a 50% reduction in my bi monthly bill. 

I used electricity for cooking, had a side by side  22 foot fridge and I had a washer (dryer was gas).  I also had a wll equipped home office with computer, monitor (the old kind which uses more KW than the newer flat screens which I eventually purchased. and several other
office "machines"  ie robotics,. vonage, copier, et al including an indoor  antenna that enabled me to get the San Diego channels,

SORRY BUT I WAS ALWAyS CHARGED based on the previous tenant.  I rented a house for 500$ a month and started getting $400-$500 electric bills.  After a big hassle with CFE (and replacing at my cost, meter and breaker receptable) plus having a licensed electrical company check out the entire house,I eventually  learned what was happening. (Not speaking Spanish made this a bit more difficult!) 

The previous tenants illegally cooked   fish for fish taco vendors every morning in huge quantities, on electric hot plates.   They were running 8 hot plates for 6 hours every morning.  The owner was gracious to let me out of the lease after 6 months of paying these very high bills.  He was trying to get CFE to NOT base future bills on the fish taco people.  I do not know how that worked out.  He had been unaware of the commercial kitchen by the previous tenants.

The government might  say the   owner has to maintain the property but good luck with that.  Be prepared for resistance if you get a greedy owner.
Any idea of taking the matter to court is pointless. One help I found in renting, is to talk to neighbors in adjacent buildings. I found that sending
a local to check out the building was worth what I paid him for his time.

I looked it up and you are correct. It is averaged for the previous 12 months of consumption. The rate in Rosarito is 250 KWHs per month or 500 KWHs for 2 months to stay in the subsidized rate. So even though you stayed within the 500 KWHs every 2 months you would still pay the unsubsidized rate until the average dropped to 250 KWHs per month, which in your case would take a year. If you used 300 KWHs per month you would not be fully subsidized even then.

anne stromberg wrote:

I've learned several things over a total of 11 years in Mexico.  Among them are:
Nothing in Mexico is always.
Nothing in Mexican government (CFE is a federal government monopoly) is consistent at all offices of any secretariat.
Mexicans tend to be very reluctant to stand up for their rights.
If your Spanish isn't near fluent, get some native speaker to represent you.

This is a long story but could be instructive,

The first apartment I rented was part of a hostel.  The hostel was made up of several buildings.  Electricity was included in the rent.

CFE slid the bills under my front door.  The first bill I saw was for 12,000 pesos.  The name on the bill was nothing close to the owner's name or either of his apeIlidos. I asked the hostel owner.  He said he had bought that building a couple of years earlier and didn't bother to change the name on the account.  And the bill was for all 8 units in the building, the communal kitchen and the front desk along with all its operations.

The second apartment I rented was from a widow whose husband had bought the property and built an "apartment" house with each of the 5 units having its own meter.

The first 4 months (2 bills), the bills were in the 900-1200 peso range.  The name on the bill was not the owner, her deceased husband or the previous tenant.  The widow said it was the the name of the person who owned the house on the property before the apartment house was built (30 years before.)  They used that circuit and meter in the apartment I rented.  The "reported" meter readings weren't even close to the range on the meter itself. I complained to CFE.  They said show them 6 months of my readings compared to the reported readings and if there was a discrepancy, they'd send out an engineer to verify.  Well I did and they did and an engineer came out and 4 months later my bills were adjusted down to an average around 200 pesos a month.  No refund though.  Not to long after CFE installed new meters on the outside of the building in the campaign to have customers "read" the meter by touching an RFID card to it.  I made sure to agree with the engineer that came out to do the work which meter was mine and what the starting reading was. It was 311 KWH's because of testing and calibration.  I paid two bills (4 months) manually before they cut over to the new system and they were still in the range of 400 pesos for the 2 months.  Then came the cut over and all 5 meters were wrong by thousands of KWH's.  The owner's daughter is the equivalent of a CPA and was tasked with taking the complaint to CFE.  We came to find out that even though it was mandatory to have the new outside meters, it was not mandatory to use the "customer reads his own meter system."  We all opted to go back to the old system.  From then on, I made sure the readings on the bill were within 10 KWH's of the values on the meter and they had the correct meter number.  The bills for 1 full year came out at about 250 pesos after the government subsidy.  After that was a final entry adjusting the balance due down to zero.  The final two bills(4 months) before I moved were for 228 and 245 pesos.

The moral of the story is, find out what the law allows and if you're getting screwed by accident or design, stand up for your rights is a business-like manner getting the right kind of help.  That last part can be tricky.

Amazing!  Sometimes you live in ignorance for years because you don't know the proper questions to ask.   I  related my own experience renting apartments a bit earlier today.  And no, I never followed any tenant that had high usage.

I'd be curious to know what you looked up, where to avoid any potential problems in the future.
It's probably smart to try to rent with electricity included or ask to see the previous years history which is on the latest bill.

Thanks

http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE … ;anio=2015

DAC rate:

Google Translation:

"This rate applies to all energy services intended for domestic use only. It is considered high when consumption recorded an average monthly consumption exceeding the limit of high consumption defined for your location.
The average monthly consumption is determined by the moving average consumption recorded by the user in the last 12 months.
When average monthly consumption is below the limit set High consumption in the city, domestic tariff 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F is applied; corresponding
The high consumption limit is defined in terms of domestic rate: 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F; that applies in your area.
RATE LIMIT
1    250 kWh / month
1A 300 kWh / month
1B 400 kWh / month
1C 850 kWh / month
1D 1,000 kWh / month
1E 2,000 kWh / month
1F 2,500 kWh / month"

About 80% of places are in 1  climate zone, I think. Under 24 C minimum average low in the summer months.

You learn something new every day, thanks.

I didn't notice any specification of by customer or by address.

I wonder if anyone ever had the account changed to their name. What was the result?

I asked about that early on.  It was a matter of opening an account in my name and starting without a history.
There was really no advantage.  I'd still have to go down and pay in cash every other month.

gudgrief wrote:

You learn something new every day, thanks.

I didn't notice any specification of by customer or by address.

I wonder if anyone ever had the account changed to their name. What was the result?

I asked about that early on.  It was a matter of opening an account in my name and starting without a history.
There was really no advantage.  I'd still have to go down and pay in cash every other month.

The climate zone is on your bill under "Tarifa" and will have a "01", "1A"  etc.

Some landlords don´t have their rentals registered as a rental with SAT and don´t pay the 16% IVA or yearly taxes. When they sell and it is classified as their permanent residence they get a huge window to not pay capital gains on it and if it is a rental they will pay capital gains. A CFE bill in their name is one proof it is their permanent residence. Don´t expect some landlords to allow someone to change the CFE account to the renter´s name.

I should have figured there was some kind of tax dodge involved.
Thanks again.

The original poster asked about keeping possessions in his/her apartment while on a tourist visa and having to leave the country after six months.  Somehow this thread got off onto electricity rates.

So back to the topic at hand.  We are currently on a one-year lease and we have to leave the country on our tourist visa before the end of January.  We are planning a two-week trip to Belize.

We are not planning on taking all our stuff with us as we have bicycles and way too much stuff to pack up just to go to Belize.  We also have a dog who will be staying behind in a lovely boarding facility.  We are going to go on faith that we will be able to re-enter the country on a new tourist visa after our trip.

I haven't heard of people being denied entry, but I do know that they are cracking down on people that they think are illegally working in the country, so that may be part of it.  If we are denied re-entry, there is going to be a serious problem.  I don't think they have any basis to deny us entry.

I guess time will tell, but I am not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it.  Hope I'm not being foolish.

I have heard on other forums that if you carry a print out of a hotel reservation, the migration agents at the Belize border will not question your reasons for entering Belize. Too many people just walk across the border without a destination in mind and no luggage.

Caribegal thanks so much for your response!! I was waiting for a anecdote just like yours because I imagine I'm not the only one potentially facing this situation. Food for thought. Hope you and your dog are reunited without any hassle. Thanks again for sharing!

Oldladyman wrote:

Caribegal thanks so much for your response!! I was waiting for a anecdote just like yours because I imagine I'm not the only one potentially facing this situation. Food for thought. Hope you and your dog are reunited without any hassle. Thanks again for sharing!

You are welcome!  I wish I could say that I had done this already successfully, but at least you know I intend to. :-)

We did spend six months on a tourist visa here last winter, went back to the US for three months, then re-entered Mexico on another tourist visa with no problems.  We actually left one suitcase here with a friend since we knew we were returning, but since we weren't going to be in the same apartment, we didn't leave stuff there. 

As for our trip for Belize, we will have luggage and will have our itinerary on my laptop.  I'll have to pull it out and show the Belizean officials if they ask, as I have no printer here in Mexico.  Or I guess I could put my reservation info on a USB stick and find a place to print it out here in Playa.  Maybe I'll do that to avoid any hassles.

There was one report of a person trying to enter Belize with a reservation on their smartphone and was denied entrance with the agent demanding reservation on paper(!). You can find a number of Internet cafes that offer printing. I have no printer myself and when I need something printed, I put it on an USB drive and hoof it to the cafe.

I'm entering Mexico with a one-way ticket since I don't know exactly when I'm leaving again. Will they ask for a return ticket at the airport and is it possible for me to offer them perhaps a bus ticket as proof I'm exiting and where should I buy a bus ticket, using what website if this is at all an option?

Great to be reading all of the solutions to what might be minor issues in the US.  As for having printers, are they not for sale there?  Do your local neighbors not have computers and printers?  Just wondering?  I always use printouts even in the US.  It's just easier that way.
I love all this chit chat.  For the first time I feel I'm on the right blog.
Thank you,
Ally

Hi CaribeGal,

You are in Playa del Carmen?  I am going to travel for the first time to Merida with a sense that it might be the place for me.  Have you been there?  What did you think?
As you might have read is my thread here I have visited and been diving along the coast where you are, but I always felt the draw to the old cities.  I'm 65 now and have not dove for 20 years, but that's not to say I will never dive again.  Now I want to look at the water and put my toes in, but gardening and sunshine are a bigger draw now.

Do you work in Mexico?

Ally

Oldladyman wrote:

I'm entering Mexico with a one-way ticket since I don't know exactly when I'm leaving again. Will they ask for a return ticket at the airport and is it possible for me to offer them perhaps a bus ticket as proof I'm exiting and where should I buy a bus ticket, using what website if this is at all an option?

We entered Mexico via Cancun airport from US in July on a one-way ticket and were not asked for a return ticket by the airline or by the Mexican immigration officials. Since we didn't know our end date, we didn't want to buy round-trip tickets and have to eat the change fee.  We've done that before since some destinations won't even sell you a one-way ticket (for example, flying to Belize from the US).

I wonder if there is profiling going on by some officials?  My husband and I look like a typical WASP couple and are in our 50s-60s, and we've never had any problems entering or leaving any country.  We used to live in Belize and have the passport stamps to prove it, have friends there, etc., so I can't imagine Belize giving us any problems entering their country since they presumably want our dollars. (We also visited Mexico twice when we lived in Belize and did not have any problems returning to Belize.)  I suspect if we were younger, had dreads, were covered in tattoos, and carrying ratty backpacks, there would be a greater chance we would get questioned.  Just a thought.  The same would go for entering Mexico.  It likely pays to be clean, dress conservatively, and be very polite whenever entering a country.

AlicatAZ wrote:

Hi CaribeGal,

You are in Playa del Carmen?  I am going to travel for the first time to Merida with a sense that it might be the place for me.  Have you been there?  What did you think?
As you might have read is my thread here I have visited and been diving along the coast where you are, but I always felt the draw to the old cities.  I'm 65 now and have not dove for 20 years, but that's not to say I will never dive again.  Now I want to look at the water and put my toes in, but gardening and sunshine are a bigger draw now.

Do you work in Mexico?

Ally

Hi Ally,

No, my husband and I are retired.  We wouldn't be allowed to work here in Mexico on a tourist visa.  We are in Playa del Carmen, but we have visited Merida and love it.  It is very, very hot in the summer, though, much more so than any of the coastal locations.  When we were having highs in the upper 80s here in July-August, Merida was in the upper 90s to over 100.  So, we could not live there in the summer, but it was lovely when we visited in the winter before.

We don't dive, but we chose this location in large part because of the ease of getting our dog here (taking a private transfer service from the Cancun airport), since dogs are not allowed on buses.  Also the ease of getting back and forth to the US, as we both have elderly parents. 

As for printers, they are available here, but we don't want to spend the money on something we'd just have to get rid of when we leave.  We are not expecting to live here permanently.  There are so few things we have to print here, it wouldn't be cost-effective.  We'll do as joaquinx suggested and just find an internet cafe if we need to print something.

Thank you, CaribeGal,

Do you think that flying into Cancun instead of Merida is a better idea, for any reason?  It would be a bus trip for me, but when I bring my cat down will it be better received?  Will the buses take a cat in a cage on my lap?

I understand about printers, but I'm printing all the time here....recipes, etc.

I hear you about the heat.  I'm in Phoenix, but it's true that a dry heat is easier to deal with.  We had many days over 110 degrees this year.  But humidity is good for the skin, right?   :cool:

I also looked at Belize as a possibility, where did you live there?  I feel I'm more concerned about safety there for some reason.  AND I don't feel it's as clean as Mexico, but what did you find?  I think Ambergris Cay is probably a lot like Cancun and you can drive there from Mexico, right?  I want to be around convenience for shopping but have the age of the old around me too.  I grew up around NEW all around me, all the franchises and new construction.  I'm honestly tired of it.

Thank you so much,
Ali

Hello Ali-
I have been reading your thread.   I am 62 and thinking of a 1/2-yearly stay on the Caribbean.  I would like to visit Playa and am looking to rent a place with someone for the month of February.  Would you be interested?  If not, could you advise as to a nice 1-br. not more than 7 or 8 blocks from the beach for under $1,000 per month?   
Best,
Arlene

Yes indeed. I think that profiling is part of the job for those who screen at borders and there's a certain look they don't question and others they do:) I have no idea where I will fall. I'm definitely not a wasp, but I have gray hair, which I've noticed somewhat neutralizes me!! So funny...appreciate all the experiences you're sharing....very very useful...

Hi Arlene!
My given name is Allene!!  How's that for synergy?

That's not a bad idea!!  It would solve my issues for being solo, and I could take the bus to Merida and stay overnight there to see what I can.  I want the full Mexican experience so the new beach environment does not seem optimal to me, but who knows.  I have no special input on apartments, but Airbnb is a good resource.  As long as it's furnished, as it wll be, little will be needed for four weeks.  I'd like a small kitchen.  And Iove baths but Mexico is not big on them at all.  ALL the apt.s in Merida ONLY have showers.

My personal email is:  [email protected]

I have not even done any airfare searches yet, but Cancun, I know, is cheaper than Merida due to the volume. THe bus trip is cheap.

Will you email me off this blog and we can chat more.....maybe a phone call.  This could work.

Sincerely,
Ally

AlicatAZ wrote:

Thank you, CaribeGal,

Do you think that flying into Cancun instead of Merida is a better idea, for any reason?  It would be a bus trip for me, but when I bring my cat down will it be better received?  Will the buses take a cat in a cage on my lap?

I understand about printers, but I'm printing all the time here....recipes, etc.

I hear you about the heat.  I'm in Phoenix, but it's true that a dry heat is easier to deal with.  We had many days over 110 degrees this year.  But humidity is good for the skin, right?   :cool:

I also looked at Belize as a possibility, where did you live there?  I feel I'm more concerned about safety there for some reason.  AND I don't feel it's as clean as Mexico, but what did you find?  I think Ambergris Cay is probably a lot like Cancun and you can drive there from Mexico, right?  I want to be around convenience for shopping but have the age of the old around me too.  I grew up around NEW all around me, all the franchises and new construction.  I'm honestly tired of it.

Thank you so much,
Ali

Hi Alli,

Let me try to address your questions one by one. 

1. I don't know anything about flying into Merida.  For us, flying from the east coast, Cancun was the way to go since we were heading to Playa.  Sorry, can't really help you there.

2. Pets are not allowed on the Mexican ADO buses even in cages/carrying cases.  They must ride in cargo, which I would never advocate.  I am sure people have snuck pets on discreetly if they are quiet and can stay hidden, but we have not chanced it with our small dog.  So flying into Merida with your cat makes a lot more sense to me. 

3.  We use our small tablet/laptops for recipes and all sorts of things -- I just take it right into the kitchen with me. :-)  We just don't use paper any more unless absolutely necessary.  We started going paperless before we moved to Belize in 2011 as it just made everything easier.  We try to travel as light as possible.

4. The humidity is definitely good for the skin.  Not so good for the hair, though!  I didn't even bring a blow dryer this time as if I tried to dry my hair, I'd be sweating from the heat AND it would frizz and wave within 30 minutes anyway.  I am so envious of the beautiful locals I see with silky long hair. 

5. We lived in Ambergris Caye.  We were never victims of crime, but it is definitely a bigger problem than in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.  The biggest advantage there is the fact that English is the official language.  A lot of people go there because they don't want to learn Spanish.  There is definitely a garbage problem, although Mexico is dirty as well, especially in vacant lots, etc.  Most people keep up the areas in front of their houses, and cities hire workers to clean some of the streets, but not all.  It's a mixed bag, I guess.  You can drive from Mexico to Belize, but you can't drive to Ambergris Caye.  It is an island, and there is no car ferry.  So you would have to leave your car in a secured lot in Belize City.  We didn't have a car there, nor do we here, so I can't tell you too much about that except that there are already FAR too many vehicles on the Caye, and it would be very difficult if not impossible to get a permit to import one unless you were a property owner and a permanent resident of the country.  Ambergris Caye is very different from Cancun -- there are no high-rise buildings, and it is much more down-to-earth; however, it is expensive, a lot more expensive to live there than Mexico.  We enjoyed our time there but after 18 months, we had done everything we wanted to do all over the very small country, so we left.  Mexico is less expensive to live, has much more availability of groceries and other goods, and is easier for us to get back and forth to the US. 

6. As for old vs. new, Merida is a great choice if you don't want to be around a lot of new construction.  There's a lot of new construction on Ambergris Caye as Belize has been "discovered" just in the past few years.  And Playa is even worse in that respect.  We are surrounded by several large construction projects, and condo buildings are going up everywhere. Old smaller buildings are being torn down to make way for large complexes -- both condo and shopping malls.  It is getting to be a real concrete jungle, sadly, and it is very loud living in Centro, as we do.  We recently took a short trip to Valladolid in the Yucatan state, which is a colonial city like Merida, only smaller, and we felt so refreshed there.  The architecture and culture were amazing, the city neat and tidy, and we felt like we were in Mexico.  Playa has great restaurants and a lot to offer but is touristy and doesn't feel very much like Mexico a lot of the time.  There are lots and lots of Europeans here, which does bring in some amazing businesses, great Italian food, etc., but you have to go more inland to feel like you're really in Mexico much of the time!

Allene -
How interesting!   Yes, I will email you privately so that everyone does not have to read our chats!   Will do tonight.

Very informative!  This is the kind of sharing I was hoping to get.  Thank you for the detail.
I need to start coming down now so I can start to make decisions....
Are you still holding US Passports?
I'm probably going to rent my home out until I decide if I ever want to go back.  What is your story?  I wish I had a life partner for doing this with but that has not happened so now I must commit on my own.  Maybe my new guy is an expat also.
Your Ambergris Caye story is the exact story most people tell.  I want a complete city will all offerings IF I ever need a Wallmart.  I don't shop them here but I have so many local options I don't have to.
Thank you and I'm staying on this blog.  I need to meet someone now living in Merida that I can meet and have coffee with when I land.  Please respond if you live in Merida
Thank you
Ally

AlicatAZ wrote:

Very informative!  This is the kind of sharing I was hoping to get.  Thank you for the detail.
I need to start coming down now so I can start to make decisions....
Are you still holding US Passports?

Oh yes, of course.  We are only here on tourist visa.  Even if you eventually get permanent residency (and most folks go with temporal residency first), you keep your US citizenship.  I don't think many Americans come here and totally renounce their citizenship.  I know in Belize, you can eventually get a Belizean citizenship after being in the country for five years, fulfilling many requirements, paying $$, and being approved, but it is a dual citizenship.  I would never give up my US citizenship. My husband and I both paid into Social Security our entire careers and are hoping we eventually see the returns from that, as well as Medicare, when we are of age for it.  We are early retired software developers.. We will be returning to the US in the spring or early summer.  We may return to Mexico later, but we have a lot more traveling to do in the US, as well as elderly parents on both sides, and siblings.  Our next adventure may be an RV so we can see more of the US.  We may still return to Mexico in the winter in an RV.  We don't plan all that far in advance as we consider ourselves traveling nomads at this point! :-)

Hi, don't mean to belabor the subject but have heard that some have been asked for proof of departure and presented bus tickets as a cheap way of complying and am wondering if I am asked for a return ticket, if I'll be given an option to buy a return ticket on the spot and how this is handled...