Need advice -- completing the Visa process in Mexico

Once I've gotten approved for my Temporal Visa at my local consulate, what proof of residency will I have to show in Mexico to complete the process? In my case, I'm staying at a variety of Airbnbs until I find a long term rental. So I will NOT have any utility bills. The only "proof" of residency will be an invoice showing my Airbnb fees. So 3 questions: 1) will the Airbnb invoice be sufficient at the visa office in Mexico to prove residency or must I have a utility bill in my name, 2) if not, what documents do I have to show in Mexico for a Temporal Visa and 3) do I have to go to the visa office within 30 calendar days of arriving in Mexico?  Thanks in advance--Barb

You will have to visit your local immigration office within 30 days of arrival, and undertake a procedure to exchange your temporary resident visa (passport stamp) for a Temporary Resident Permit (green card). The list of required documents varies slightly from each INM office, but proof of address is mandatory. When I completed the process, I submitted a letter from my landlord showing proof of long term residency and paid utilities, which INM accepted.  In addition, I needed to provide the original consulate application (formato para solicitar tramite migratorio de estancia), photocopy of the Mexican Visa in Passport, photocopy of the identification section of passport, and photos (front and side views) for the green card. Once you submit that packet, they will give you a tracking number to check the status of your request. This usually takes 2-6 weeks depending on how many applications they are processing. Once the packet is approved, you will receive an email notice to return to the office to schedule a future visit to be fingerprinted. Yep, a visit to schedule another visit. After they take your fingerprints, ask a few more questions and you sign a document, they will tell you to come back in a week or more to actually pick up the card. I received my card in about 4 weeks. I hope this helps.. Good luck!

Hi, I am not an expert but an important item within the INM is that you have to inform them of your adress change. Here is a link that could help you. https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … in-mexico/

Buena suerte, GyC.

I used to go to the local Delegado and get a constancia de domicilio (proof of residence). Don't remember if I needed a witness.  Might try to meet a gringo and ask if you can use their address.

30 days yes

I only changed my address when I renewed my old FM3 ..... not a critical item

Thanks so much everyone! Great advice!  As I just posted on the other expat forum...I'm gonna "lawyer up" when I do the Mexico side of things. :).  I think it'll be worth every peso in reduced time, energy and stress headaches.

We used a service in Playas de Rosarito to get our Permenente. They helped us put the package together for the consulate in San Diego and talked us through that process. They then did virtually everything on the Mexico side. They even went to INM with us to walk us through the fingerprinting and final document signing there. It was well worth the money we spent (about $80 each person).

Mreid51:
Thanks so much! Do you mind sharing the name of the service you used?

Should tell us where you are going.  Might have specific help info

Sparksmex...
You are right. I should mention where I'm headed. Right now I'm focused on Central Mexico. I'm going back for a second trip to San Miguel for five weeks --that is likely where I'll end up living "long term" (for at least a year anyway). But...I'm also visiting Ajijic & Queretaro as well to explore them as potential places to live. I have a two month trip coming up in early May to explore all three places--with the emphasis on San Miguel.

If you are considering a professional service in San Miguel to help with INM, etc., Sonia Diaz performed various services for several friends and comes highly recommended. Here's her Facebook page and contact info: https://www.facebook.com/www.soniadiaz.mx/

Mreid51 wrote:

We used a service in Playas de Rosarito to get our Permenente. They helped us put the package together for the consulate in San Diego and talked us through that process. They then did virtually everything on the Mexico side. They even went to INM with us to walk us through the fingerprinting and final document signing there. It was well worth the money we spent (about $80 each person).

Fingerprinting and signing are that difficult?

No. But it was part of what was included in the service.  The agent made sure that INM had all the paperwork ready when we got there. Overall, it was the least important thing she did for us.

Hi Barb,
I am in that process right now. I am using an assistant to deal with Mexican Immigration. The fee is small and since I don't yet speak Spanish I thought this was easier. I think I did supply a copy of my rental lease. I did not have to give any utility bill copies. I think that only becomes necessary when you are getting a bank account. I haven't done that yet. The two banks I approached told me I needed to have the Temporary Resident before I could open an account. I have another bank to approach that may be willing to open an account with just the passport visa and INM receipt that the Resident Card is in process. Hope that this helps.

George
San Miguel de Allende

I second Sonia Diaz. She is doing my Temporary Residence application right now. Very affordable and very GOOD service.

George G.
San Miguel de Allende

Can anyone detail the services a lawyer can do for you at INM?

joaquinx wrote:

Can anyone detail the services a lawyer can do for you at INM?

Unless you are buying property, or have tax or complex family  issues, I don't know why you would need a lawyer. I completed all of the paperwork  with the help of a bilingual friend.  I talked to the counsel in the U.S. they told me what I would need, and the time frames I would have to follow. It's tedious, but not rocket science, so I would be interested to know what a lawyer would do for you also.

There are very few difficulties applying for a residence visa.  I did see somebody in our local office with a paid facilitator fronting for him.  I guess lack of Spanish made it worth it for him, but I also heard his advocate was giving likely outdated advice on the vehicle factor. 

I'd say it's about as hard as applying to enter a college.  I suggest that you go to the INM office first,  Ask for their list of requirements as each office is different.  See if somebody there speaks english and how much they are willing to help you.   You might be fine doing it yourself.  The hardest part will be the form letter you have to include.  It will require certain phrases and if they don't want to give you an example letter than maybe it's worth paying somebody to write the letter for you and fill in the forms.

If you are not sure how many years you will be in Mexico, then just leaving and reentering after six months on a tourist visa may be fine for the time being.  You can always get the residence visa when you know you are really staying.

Need a letter for temporal or permanente? It is a lengthy site, but search for "letter" and you'll find it. Letter for temporal and permanente

joaquinx wrote:

Need a letter for temporal or permanente? It is a lengthy site, but search for "letter" and you'll find it. Letter for temporal and permanente

I got  a Permanent 1 1/2 to two years ago ( aprox). At that time here there was no letter requirement, so I suspect at least in some areas that is not required any longer. I handed them one, and they gave it back waving their hand at me. No requerido.

travellight wrote:
joaquinx wrote:

I got  a Permanent 1 1/2 to two years ago ( aprox). At that time here there was no letter requirement, so I suspect at least in some areas that is not required any longer. I handed them one, and they gave it back waving their hand at me. No requerido.

I did this once or twice when I was getting FM3's and 2's. I brought a letter in and the agent said that was not good enough. Then he created a letter on his computer for me, printed it off, and had me sign it.

Hi to all, a friend of mine got his residente temporal visa last October. It took 3 visits to INM and in 3 days got his visa. The only documents required beside his passport was a rental agreement letter and a utility bill both under the owner's name.

But if you already have your residency visa and moved or other changes then you must advise INM by signed letter, here is a link that could help with a example in spanish (not easy to find but under parag. "SEGOB (Secretaría de Gobernación) Ministry of the Interior SEGOB Steps for Residents to Communicate Status Changes to INM" and can also be done using the electronic format at the following link https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.htmlhttps://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … -with-inm/https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … o/#General Summary of the Steps for Getting Mexican Residency

Hope this is helpfull, GyC

mexicogc wrote:

Hi to all, a friend of mine got his residente temporal visa last October. It took 3 visits to INM and in 3 days got his visa. The only documents required beside his passport was a rental agreement letter and a utility bill both under the owner's name.

But if you already have your residency visa and moved or other changes then you must advise INM by signed letter, here is a link that could help with a example in spanish (not easy to find but under parag. "SEGOB (Secretaría de Gobernación) Ministry of the Interior SEGOB Steps for Residents to Communicate Status Changes to INM" and can also be done using the electronic format at the following link https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.htmlhttps://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … -with-inm/https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … o/#General Summary of the Steps for Getting Mexican Residency

Hope this is helpfull, GyC

Forgot to say that the site of INM tramites is also used for the CANJE process when you arrive with your visa received from the Mexican consulate.  Sorry for this, GyC.

Good advice, I suggest bookmarking these links.

Sonia is a great person to go to.