Work permit clarification

I am a Sri Lankan web developer. I got a job offer from Kuala Lumpur for a salary of 5000 MYR

1. What will be the visa category I will be in?

2. I need to get my wife to Kuala Lumpur. Can I apply for a dependant visa for her? And also my paprents?

3. Should i have more than 5000 salary? 5000 is enough or more than 5000?

4. What are the requirements for my employer to get a work permit for me?

5. I am in the IT professional category. What are the risks of rejecting my work permit?

Thank You.

s5arts wrote:

I am a Sri Lankan web developer. I got a job offer from Kuala Lumpur for a salary of 5000 MYR

1. What will be the visa category I will be in?
If the company plan on applying for a Professional Employment Pass (PEP) that would be Category II

2. I need to get my wife to Kuala Lumpur. Can I apply for a dependant visa for her? And also my paprents?
Yes, on a Category II PEP it does allow spouse visa but not sure on that salary whether you can also have parents (they would be on Social Visit Pass (Long Term). Those visas would be same length as your EP

3. Should i have more than 5000 salary? 5000 is enough or more than 5000?
Its very low salary indeed, especially to support 3 other people. Rent, depending on area you need to live in could be high*

Do bear in mind tax will be 28% (RM1400) for first 182 days then reduce to about RM300 per month -

4. What are the requirements for my employer to get a work permit for me?
Degree, 2-3 yrs experience, job can't be done by a Malaysian. Do be aware you need a Single Entry Visa (Visa with Reference) to enter to take up employment.

5. I am in the IT professional category. What are the risks of rejecting my work permit?
Depends if the company has the ability to hire foreigners.

Thank You.

Answers above.

I think you are possibly being exploited because of your nationality, but you dont say how much experience you have. *I would expect salary to be 6000-6500 minimum if you have 4-5 years experience. That would give more leeway during first 6 months to have enough money after tax to live on.

If the company just plan to get you a Foreign Worker Employment Pass there is no possibility of bringing your spouse or parents.

Thank you for your response. It is really helpful. I am putting more information here.

5000 MYR is on the job post. but I can demand my salary. before doing that, I need to know is there any threshold I need to meet. Ex: above 10,000 or any factor which affect my visa category etc. Please guide me to do it. I have more than 10 years of experience.

I only need to get my wife in. Parents will visit time to time with a visit visa. What are the exact visa or work permit categories which allow me to get my wife in.

What is the social visit pass? and will I need it?

What are the charges to get these visa categories? I consider visas for me which allow my wife to get the dependent visa.

Thank you in-advance

Suggest you check  what are the salaries levels on Glassdoor.

Your wife would be on a Dependent Pass. Usually its best if the company applies for it through the online immigration systems.  This is because using an immigration Agent is expensive (RM3-4k). You would need to ask the employer if they will process the DP application for her.

There is quite a lot of paperwork requiired such as notarised marriage certificates etc. You can read about this here: https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/TC-ES … r-2017.pdf

To have dependents with you it is required to have a Professional Category I or II (one/two) Employment Pass and a minimum salary of RM5000 per month

If you get a job offer the first step is for the company to apply for the EP and get a Visa Approval Letter. The second requirement is for a VDR (visa with reference - single entry visa) approval. Its quickest if the company applies for both simultaneously. Once the VDR is approved you get it stamped into your passport in Sri Lanka at the Malaysian High Commission http://www.kln.gov.my/web/lka_colombo/home

Then you are able to fly to Malaysia for work purposes. The EP is only endorsed into your passport after arrival on a VDR.

The company should pay all charges for your EP.

It would be important during the interview to mention you would require a DP for your wife.

This might be helpful - https://www.payscale.com/research/MY/Jo … per/Salary