Valid Schengen Visa but Expired Permesso di Soggiorno

Hello everyone,

I am seeking an answer for a question I have and I wish someone is able to help. Thanks in advance.

I have been living in Italy since almost 6 years and I have my Permesso di Soggiorno valid until the 20th of June.

In February I had requested a Schengen Visa from the Spanish Consulate in Milan, since I am coming to Spain for more than 90 days as a visiting PhD student.

Currntly I am in Spain and I have:
1- A Permesso di Soggiorno valid until the 20th of June
2- A Schengen Visa Type D, valid until 30th of August

I will go back to Italy in April and apply for a new permesso di soggiorno so I will have a recivuta from the post by then.

Can I travel in Europe and stay in Spain after the 20th of June using my valid multi-entry schengen visa, or are there specific rules in case my Permesso di Soggiorno had expired?

I searched online but could not find an answer. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Omran

In my knowledge, as you have a valid schengen multiple entry visa, there is no issue for you to stay and  travel inside and in/out of schengen zone, till the expiry date of the visa.

And you are planning to go to Italy before expiry of your PDS and apply for an extension. So that part is covered as well.

As said above, IMO, you can safely stay and travel in schengen zone during validity period of your visa. So I dont see any issues here.

All the best with your PhD !

Thank you for the reply Aneeshks.

I also have the same impression but with these things it is better to be careful, there are million rules out there :)

Thank you again,
Omran

Hi there :)

The Permesso di Soggiorno is only for Italy so you can forget about that applying to any other countries.

As for Schengen Visas, you can find all the information HERE.

I hope this will be of some help to you.