Still not received permesso di soggiorno - Can I re-enter Italy?

Hi all,

I have Canadian citizenship and am currently a trainee in Parma, Italy. I have the Canada-Italy work/holiday youth visa (valid 1 year) and was told that, to validate the visa, I must 'apply for the permesso di soggiorno within 8 working days of entry'. I did this in December 2016 and did the fingerprinting in March 2017. I was told at this appointment that within 2-3 months, I would receive an SMS saying the permesso is ready for pickup.

It's now July 18, 2017 and I have not yet received any such message (so, I don't have the permesso di soggiorno, physically).

1. Should I just go to the Immigration Office anyway and ask in person?

The main problem I have is that I must return to Canada in September for 10 days, after which I come back to Italy and stay for 2.5 months (then officially return home to Canada).

I have the receipts/documentation from the various permesso appointments at the Immigration Office.

2. Will they let me back into Italy, without the physical permesso di soggiorno, and only the receipts?

Thanks all for your help in advance!

Courtney

If you have already done the fingerprint step and have the receipt for the new permesso di siggorno then yes you can travel to Canada. Make sure you have the OK stamp from Questura (immigration police) on the back side of your receipt.

Hi Fabrizio,

Thanks for your prompt response! I just want to clarify though, since you said "...travel to Canada..."; I think the issue will likely occur for me upon "returning" to Italy.

Did you mean that the receipt / stamp is sufficient for me to re-enter Italy?

Thanks!!

Yes on the receipt you can re-enter in Italy with in 60 days i believe. I mean to say travel to Canada a return tour.
For more secure you can have your old permesso di soggiorno if they didn't take it from you else that receipt is your pass to re-enter in Italy.

Thanks for your help :)

I managed to get my permesso last week, after waiting for 6 hours in line at the immigration office because no appointment... And apparently the card had already been there, ready to pickup, since 3 July. (Of course no one informed me, ha)

Ah well, peace of mind.

Cheers and good luck to everyone else trying to get theirs!!
(Patience or willingness to wait, I guess, is the only advice I can give)

plumbunnie wrote:

Thanks for your help :)

I managed to get my permesso last week, after waiting for 6 hours in line at the immigration office because no appointment... And apparently the card had already been there, ready to pickup, since 3 July. (Of course no one informed me, ha)

Ah well, peace of mind.

Cheers and good luck to everyone else trying to get theirs!!
(Patience or willingness to wait, I guess, is the only advice I can give)

First of all congrats to getting your permesso. I would say you are lucky that they deal issue you the permesso without appointment. It depends on the questura where are you taking it.

Most of questura is like this, if your appointment has already passed and then they deal first the people who has appointment and then for the persons who come up with no appointment of the day.

I spend more then 7 hours to get my permesso from Torino but i like Torino is more fast as compare to other comune in Italy to issue the permesso.

Boun fortuna.

Ciao!

Hi,

I would like to know, where did you lined-up for 6 hours, is that Questura or other department, can you just do let me know that address of that Office because I also want to visit to get to know the status about my permisso di soggiorno. Thanks