Banking in Budapest

Hello dear members,

Can you recommend some financial institutions i.e. Commercial Banks in Budapest?

What about their facilities they offer? For example: [Internet Banking, Credit Facilities, ATM's machine availability throughout the city]

How the mentioned institution(s) has(ve) facilitated or facilitate your life?

Please do not hesitate to share your experience on the Expat-Blog community.

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

Hi there Yud...

I have my account in Budapest Bank. The Facilities They provides includes [Internet Banking, Credit Facilities and you can take out money from any ATM's in affiliation Visa power  machine availabile throughout In the country.

But they or any bank do not provide any Joint account facility unless you are citizen of Hungary. If you are Family member of EU or Hungarain citizen even then you have to open a new bank account. I dont know how rules goes here but its very unfortunate.

All the bank forms are in Hungarian so if you dont know Hungarian then take somebody along to get the form filled.

Just a correction, joint accounts are definitely possible, neither me or my wife are hungarian citizens and one of us is not even resident but we have in three different banks joint bank accounts with full rights. Actually you don't need to be even resident to have a bank account in Hungary, you just need to have your passport when you open a bank account (no need for utility invoices etc).

All banks i know of have good english speaking facilities - both help line as well as internet banking. Depending what kind of banking services you need you might want to shop around. Overall i mainly use OTP as it has excellent online banking, it has very good exchange rates and the staff in our branch are helpful (and very pretty...)