Internet Access in Mauritius

Hi there...

I'm planning on moving to Mauritius in the near future. I'd like to know some general information about internet access.

1. Is WiFi Internet connections widely available at cafe's, hotels, restaurants, etc?

2. What is the general connection speed of residential internet? (how many MBPS?)

3. Is there a 3G network or good GPRS network to go online anywhere on the Island?

4. How much does a typical residential internet service cost?

Appreciate your responses!

Thanks;-)

Welcome on board Protoge ;)

Many hotels in Mauritius (I mean 3 stars +) have Wireless connection facilities.

The main ISP in the island remains Orange! I think for residential Internet access you can obtain up to 4 MBPS connection. 1 MBPS connection speed from orange will cost you around 1000rs (Landline telephone required)

Besides, we have only 2 main mobile operators in Mauritius (Emtel & Orange) and they both offer 3g facilities which will obviously allowed you to go online!

Some useful resources about Internet accessibility in the island could be:
* Site 1
* Site 2
* Site 3

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much Yud. Very informative!:)

Hello,

Just came along this blog. It's nice.
I am looking to move to Mauritius and the best choice to make, in my opinion, is My.T , MTML or Nomad but certainly not the french money hungry ORANGE. After more than 10 years in Europe including 6 in France, I can tell advise you to avoid as many as french products or services that you can. I know their dirty business tactics. They try to make money by scamming mauritian people into buying their crooked sms jokes ! what nonsense.!
Internet is still expensive in Mauritius thanks to ORANGE with the French trying to kill competition and imposing a monopoly like in Reunion island next door. I'm still wondering why the Mauritian government is in no way trying to counter their pro slavery policies !
No wonder why people are fed up in Reunion island and made the riots recently because a couple of french families monopolise the trade and try to STEAL the money from mainly poor people. Orange is France Telecom. Even their own people are fed up with working for them as it is the company with the highest suicide rates in France.

To students wanting to come to study to FRANCE : BIG mistake !
You'll end up loosing your money and getting in debt unnecessarily !
You'll also get to pay 400 euros rent per month minimum in a city like Paris.
My advice to you: Get your Bsc in Mauritius, then make your MSc in Singapore, US, Canada, Iran, India or even Israel !!
Good luck

Protoge wrote:

1. Is WiFi Internet connections widely available at cafe's, hotels, restaurants, etc?

Not particularly.  Cities are very sparely populated with open-access WiFi.  You would be better off ensuring you have HSDPA service package.

Protoge wrote:

2. What is the general connection speed of residential internet? (how many MBPS?)

Typically 1 to 4Mbps, but be prepared to pay an exorbitant price for the 4Mbps service.

Protoge wrote:

3. Is there a 3G network or good GPRS network to go online anywhere on the Island?

Cellular connectivity is very good in my experience.

Protoge wrote:

4. How much does a typical residential internet service cost?

Triple play services are offered by Mauritius Telecom.  Prices should be on their website. (http://www.mauritiustelecom.com/myt/)

Cool, excellent post by a mauritian native i suppose !!

Didn't know that there was HSDPA in Mauritius but the 384 kbps speed is still low for someone who has been surfing at 10 Mbps in Europe.
Lowest was 2 mbps in a french village.
I would rather opt for My.T   2 Mbps package but i'll make my choice on the spot in Mauritius !!
thanks a lot !! gonna get used to going away from civilisation for a while  :( as i spend most of my time on youtube !

brunotertrais wrote:

Cool, excellent post by a mauritian native i suppose !!

Didn't know that there was HSDPA in Mauritius but the 384 kbps speed is still low for someone who has been surfing at 10 Mbps in Europe.
Lowest was 2 mbps in a french village.
I would rather opt for My.T   2 Mbps package but i'll make my choice on the spot in Mauritius !!
thanks a lot !! gonna get used to going away from civilisation for a while  :( as i spend most of my time on youtube !

Not quite a Mauritian native.  My parents are Mauritian, but I was born and currently live in the significantly less warmer British Isles. 

I'm afraid the connectivity in Mauritius is not particularly good when compared to Europe, but probably outstanding when compared to other African nations.  You'll find many people who complain that actual speeds are much less than those claimed by Mauritius Telecom.  Of course, the ISP's  response is simply that the service is "up to X Mbps".  When I am in Mauritius, I find the experience particularly frustrating and I think anyone who has to work at their computer for much of the day will agree with this.

Having said all of that, the good thing about Mauritius is that there is so much to do away from the computer :)

I'm connected through Myt 4mb and it's ok. Expensive yes, but connectivity is ok (damn I miss my highspeed connection abroad). Btw, Myt is Orange eventually since Orange and Mauritius Telecom are one group.
As for wifi in cafes / restaurants, you won't find much. As for hotels I have no idea.