Sending and receiving packages in Mauritius

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Mauritius?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Mauritius?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have used the postal service twice for books from Amazon. The first time it went to Port Louis - quite a mission to collect and the procedure slow. The next time it came to the Goodlands PO and it was simplicity itself. The duty was not excessive and both books in perfect order, probably thanks to Amazon. I am about to order some dvds from Ebay - any suggestions that will not cost heavily?

andrew

I find the Mauritian postal service extremely efficient even though they are a bit antiquated.  I buy a lot of things through e.bay as do my family and we have never lost a parcel.  The local post office in Goodlands actually phones me when there are parcels to collect and they are always extremely helpful.  The only parcels I have had to collect in Port Louis main parcel collection office were spices I ordered and multi vitamins.  There are different hours there to collect food parcels and medicine parcels as they have to be checked.  This is a nightmare and you have to sit and wait, if there are a lot of people it can take hours so I don't order food or medicine products any more.   There is also a small fee to pay there around Rs100 for this service and I have never had to pay any duties or tax.  But for small e.bay parcels no problem at the local office.  I have actually ordered all my Christmas gifts on line and received all in good condition.

andrewgphillips wrote:

I have used the postal service twice for books from Amazon. The first time it went to Port Louis - quite a mission to collect and the procedure slow. The next time it came to the Goodlands PO and it was simplicity itself. The duty was not excessive and both books in perfect order, probably thanks to Amazon. I am about to order some dvds from Ebay - any suggestions that will not cost heavily?

andrew

You paid duties on books?

Books are supposed to be VAT and excise duty free.

Unless things have changed since then.

Thanks for responses! I was probably wrong about duty. There was something to pay but it was quite a while back and thinking about it,  it was too little for a duty rate. Thanks for correcting!!