Traffic in Morocco

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Morocco, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Morocco?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

In Morocco I have experienced different situations and realities. I live in CasaBlanca and the driving is very rough, the local drivers don´t respect the road signs, pedestrians, and other drivers.  If you are planing to drive around here be prepared to experience some adrenaline and madness.

On Weekends, evenings can also be very hectic. Big football matches days you can also be stucked in the traffic for 2 hours. Ramadam you can also experience some aggressive drivers, people fighting.

Best regards

Levi

El-Jadida has good roads and easy parking. There is the usual rush hour between 08.30 to 09.00 and 17.30 - 18.00 but not unbearable like Casablanca. Parking is 2 Dihams 3 maximum in city centre.

Marrakech is fine for me. It isn't any different from anywhere else except here we have more scooters and small motorcycles on the road than anywhere else in the country who all expect you to watch out for them. Roads are fairly good and traffic seems to move even in the busy times.

I also drive in Marrakech and quite agree with your comments with the addition that there is certainly more of a “rush-hour” around working hours, lunch time and home time. Traffic lights ease the congestion as do police officers at main cross roads. Drivers from Europe cannot expect the same standard of obeyance to road rules as at Home and I avoid rush hours if I possibly can. Drive with caution during during busy periods.

Also it's my opinion that if they stopped this break between 12 and 2pm, at least we would have less congestion in the middle of the day.

Hi , I live in Rabat city , the traffic is not that bad comparing to Casablanca City or other big Cities in
rest of the world . and where do you live ?

Regads:
Rkya

I live in Casablanca.  The traffic is frightful at rush hour morning and evening, but worst in the evening and after dark.  You very frequently see pedestrians crossing 3 or 4 lanes of moving traffic, not in crosswalks, and they expect you to stop for them by often jumping right in front of you.   Cars are always risking your fender and theirs to get ahead of you.  Demanding your lane of traffic while side by side with you is common.  Taxis are the worst offenders.  The bigger the car or vehicle, the more they feel they rule the road and your place in it.  Motor bikes, bicycles, and donkey carts share busy and crowded highways.  Even at night they often drive with no lights or reflectors.  Motorbikes are often see cruising at high speed down the wrong side of the highway. Motorbikes zigzag rapidly between cars.  If you have an accident with one, God forbid, we have heard the law is usually on their side.   I can't count the number of times I've had a driver of a BMW or SUV ride almost on my rear bumper angrily flashing his lights and often honking while I was driving the speed limit.  Making a left turn from the far right lane on a busy highway?  Common practise.  Police monitoring of illegal driving behavior is spotty at best.  So  it's the Law of the Jungle and you have to have nerves of steel and laugh a lot.  Like, "OOps, that's one for the record books!"  Go with the flow; don't fight it or you'll stress yourself out and everyone with you.  The rude drivers around you aren't going to change just for you.  I've heard driving in Casa is like playing a real-life video or arcade game.   During rush hour try to avoid the center of the city as much as you can, such as using the corniche or beach road until you get near your destination.

Oh, and parking is a major challenge downtown.  People double park and triple park in lanes of traffic, often handing their keys to a parking attendant who in most places charges 2 dirhams, but in touristy areas often goes up to 5 or 10 dirhams.

Sorry but you need to adapt and be a passive driver. A driving licence in Morocco cost about Dhr2000 including the pass. Don't compare with Western refulations. The fact is it is very frustration for Westerners but there is naught we can do about it. I agree Casa is a nightmare to drive in but can anyone change it?
I try to drive at off-peak time or give way to agressive drivers in their taxis or BMWs.
Even Moroccan are frustrated by the lack of enforcement. However often people let you out of side roads and there is some consideration which deserves praise.
Bon voyage

Hello My name is Amine I live in Casablanca Morocco , it's easy to find traffic if you had valuable product by using social media costomers will follow , about rouch hour two times daily at 7:30 AM until 8:00 AM and 6:30 PM until 7:30 PM, to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Morocco you ought to woke up early and finish your work early, Parking cost cheap and you can find it everywhere , I hope this information can help you , good luck.

Hello My name is Amine I live in Casablanca Morocco ,it's easy to find traffic if you had valuable product by using social media costomers will follow , about rouch hour two times daily at 7:30 AM until 8:00 AM and 6:30 PM until 7:30 PM, to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Morocco you ought to woke up early and finish your work early, Parking cost cheap and you can find it everywhere , I hope this information can help you , good luck.

I think you must have been reading my mind. I agree with your assessment of the traffic situation in Casablanca. We have a place in Mohamadieh and I find driving there quite relaxing.  I do not believe we can change the driving situation in Casablanca to comply with our version of North American driving customs. Just keep cool and be vigilant on the road. We just come back from Morocco and every night we reached home without an accident I would comment to my wife that we must be blessed.
My wife is Moroccan and she refuses to drive in Morocco. ( I tell her that she is offering me a heart attack free of charge)
But Morocco has so much more positive things to offer that one can forgive the driving habit of the population.