How to bring your car to Morocco

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Morocco, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Morocco?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Morocco, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Morocco?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Too much hastle importing a car to Morocco. First of all it should not be 5 years old and above, and second the bigger the engine size is the higher ull be charged yearly for road tax. I suggest you buy your car in Morocco and many car dealers offer great deals by December or end of Ramadan, the fasting month.

Greetings! I donut have a car and don't need a car. I do have 2 cats that I wish to bring with me to Morocco and I need advice on how to get them there (back and forth twice a year). I travel from Copenhagen to Agadir. I need to know which travel agencies carry pets in the cabin, and also which ones allow me to bring 2.
Thank you :)
Nicole

Hi everyone,

@ Benros > Welcome to expat.com. This topic has been launched so that members can share their experience concerning this particular subject. I'd therefore request you to create a new topic if you want further assistance regarding your question.

Good luck.

Sarvesh
expat.com

Anyone had experience of bringing a car in from US or Europe?
I understand there's tax to pay and it must be less than 5 years, but for some cars there could be good savings.

Please share your experience, thanks!

As far as I am aware Morocco does not produce cars. So there must be savings to be made if importing (Unless the regular dealers have ways and means of reducing their import tax liabilities....which they probably do) .

Some cars are locally assembled and have been for many years - these tend to be lower spec cars. More car manufacturers are investing in plants in Morocco (Tanger region).

The customs website is quite useful:

http://www.douane.gov.ma/mcv/informationAutomobile.jsf

Unfortunately, a very quick check shows that the taxable value of a car for customs purposes tends to higher than it's actual value, discouraging personal imports, but I may be wrong...there's probably a cost saving for some cars, even after factoring tax and other import costs.

There is no savings on taking a car to Morocco. From what I remember import tax is about 20% , the Moroccan government have a website that gives the actual price of car. So basically, for example you would pay tax when buying the car in the uk and then have to pay another 20% of what the car cost on purchase on import duties. Just buy the car when in Morocco to save money and hassle

Just tried using the Customs website calculator and (if I am correct) for my 2009 Renault Twingo 1.2 litre they want 26,500 DH (about £2000 pounds) If that is supposed to be 20% then they value the car at 132,000 DH.
If I sold it for that it would be a nice profit.

patco-uk wrote:

Just tried using the Customs website calculator and (if I am correct) for my 2009 Renault Twingo 1.2 litre they want 26,500 DH (about £2000 pounds) If that is supposed to be 20% then they value the car at 132,000 DH.
If I sold it for that it would be a nice profit.

Does the car not need to be under five years old though to be brought into morocco?

The website objected to cars older than 2001 but give it a try and see what results you get.

When I looked into this a year or so ago one of the conditions was the car had to be under five years old. I would look into this a bit more, I'm not sure right hand drive are allowed either. Best to find out for sure if you plan to take a car over

Hello Patco, could you post the link to the customs web site here please? I need to know how much they will charge me to keep my 1995 Caravan over there. Pam Gray.

Hi pam u can only use ur car for 6 months here then it has to go out u can only pay custom duty on car which is less then 5 years old if u want to convert it to moroccan number plate.

Regards

http://www.douane.gov.ma/mcv/informationAutomobile.jsf
I think you may struggle with something of that age..... might have more luck with a caravan of camels though. (sorry couldn't resist that one)

Thanks, but caravan is ok doesn't have to be under 5 years old. I will be applying to stay in Morocco so can caravan stay Too? I will be buying a Pajero in Morocco to pull caravan. Thanks.

Well good luck anyway. My experience with other African countries is that they will find ways of increasing the price (normally based on distorted valuation of item in that country) but will allow it in provided you pay up and the van is worth the additional cost.
I always get a (paid) local agent to argue the case for me to stop some of the rip off
I doubt there are many static vans in M so be prepared for a shock would be my advice.
Interested to know how you get on. When are you going?

Thanks for your info.  Just making enquires right now but could be in about 3- 6 months time.

Thank you.

Should also have said that the agents can be dodgy as well. You can get more than one quote but more important to find one you can trust. You could find that fridges, sink, beds etc have been removed in customs. I have even had fittings that were well secured broken in attempts to remove. Very stressful experience. Perhaps Morocco is a bit more civilised...Lets hope so.

I spent months researching this issue and eventually decided it was much easier to buy a car locally. This option is also way cheaper than imported.

I just looked at the import regulations for Morocco and under vehicles (incl caravans) it states that only Diplomats can bring in "cars over 5yrs old" This may be a bad translation and could include caravans as well as other vehicles...... I hope this helps.

I already asked the Moroccon Embassy in Canberra. Caravans are ok to bring. But cars have to be up to 5 years old.

Very interesting, but presume that is for a max of 6 months? Or permanent import?

Three months, then you have to pay customs on the valuation and I'm trying to find out how much but keep getting replies in Arabic.😒

Hi Bhavna,

This is Rashmi Jhaveri from Abu dhabi. We are planning to shift to Casablanca soon. Are you in Casablanca ?

No. I will be living in El Jadida.

Hi
I have European car here in morocco for one year , i have to shift car out the country can i buy other car from septa and bring back to morocco within 3 days.
Thanks

Dear
I just want to ask how much the maximum car engine to send into Morocco?
It's possible 2.4 ?

Thanks