Driving to Morocco ( from UK)

Hi,

We hope to be moving to Morocco soon.

A friend is gonna drive us there....with most of our stuff that we are taking with us from the UK.

Really just wanted to hear from anyone who has done this journey, e.g. Experience on ferries, borders etc. Are there any taxes we will need to pay....it will only be a small van with the three of us and a few possessions.

How long roughly will it take, with maybe a few stopovers?

Was it a good experience? Any important things we should know etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Hi
Well i did the same 2 months ago n had really bad experience wth customs in tangier i brought my used household stuff as i bought house here and still had to pay €750 tax. It took me n my friend 3 days from upnorth in uk to marrakech thts driving almost 16 to 18 hours a day. We had luton van. Make sure when u come from Algaceras in spain to tangier or cueta on ferry just book normal ticket not transit as it will take u to customs n lots of paperwork n wait we were there for 8 days. Try not to bring any wooden furniture they tax around 65% on wood. So buy tickets from ferry office in Algaceras not through agents mostly moroccons there. They will con u 100%. So be carefull. Good luck

If you have any problems in tangier let me know i know a nice lady she helped us alot off course she will charge you as will most moroccon wud for anything. There is no such thing as free help here.

hi
my advice would be ,unless you have something of sentimental value.do not bother. you can buy all what you need in morocco and not expensive. i did it in 20013

Unless you can get a letter from moroccon embassay in london saying you are bringing your household goods you will pay custom on it, fesmorocco you cant buy the same quality items here if you do find european furniture you looking to pay 10x times the price in uk. I have first hand experience in all these issues. Wooden furniture here is very very expensive as to buy one used single bed wooden you will pay around £80 to £100 and quality is no where near uk quality.

getting the letter from moroccan consulate in london is the easiest part. there is 2 ways you can go to morocco by road. you can take ferry from portsmouth to santander spain and than drive south ( ferry crossing cost more than dover clais, it is 24hrs crossing). or you can take ferry from Dover to Clais (remember if you take van ferry cost more than cars) and than drive through france to south, if you use motorway in france toll charges are the most expensive in europe. petrol also cost more on motorway,if you use  national road remember there are cameras and stick to speed limits, spain is ok but you might get stopped by police checks.once you get to algericas port you have to buy van ticket, do not buy car ticket. there are many tickets booths at the port. you will be sent back when you try to board the ferry if you are in van and have car ticket. once you arrive in tangier you will be directed automatically towards commer exite,  the only way you will go the normal exite is if your van is empty.in commerce exite you will pay parking charges by the day.you will be there waiting to be cleared by customs. this can be anything between half a day to few days.once they have assessed your duty. you than have to go to cashier to pay, that is the other side of port. in between there are all kinds of people who want to help you. for a fee. you have to decide. traveling to london consulate+ consulate cost to getting letter +cost of ferry crossing+diesel+_toll charges in france and spain +3 you will be sleeping in van or bed and breakfast+ ferry crossing in spain to tangier + import tax and charges, this  against what you will buy in morocco. (you only need 3 main items to think. satee. dining table and bed matterse.

Fesmorocco you are absolutly right abt the cost of journey n hassels, but if you are bringing the household used items i am sure you dnt pay consulate for letter but again i dnt knw this coz when i phoned they said if u r moroccon n returning home(morocco) then we give u letter but we dnt give it to non moroccons, as i said i did all the move on my own and there r things u can buy here again not the same quality n r very expensive but when u move home u hve lots of stuff which u been using for most of ur life so its hard to b apart from. Normal van including tolls in france spain n ferries cost roughly around £1000 and if u wanna buy decent sofas, dinning table and beds and few small items it will be lot more then £1000.

Thank you all for your help.
Sounds scary and a lot of hassle. I really don't think I will bother. I think just move to Morocco with a couple of suitcases and buy the rest there.
Thanks again.

Yes that's what I would do. British Airways from Gatwick to marrakech give you 2x 32kg and hand luggage suitcase and handbag for £130 on some day's in business class. I think this is the best way to take a lot price wise. You can add extra suitcases too

Hi ..I've just read your reply ..I would be interested in having this ladies contact details ..as am driving there over the weekend ..thank you
My name is Richard

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security, thank you