South African couple hoping to make Mauritius home

Hello all,

I am new on this forum, so I will try my best to ensure I do this right. My partner and I are from South Africa. I am 26 years of age, and my partner is 30 years of age. We would love to move to Mauritius, but I am finding it a little overwhelming and somewhat discouraging by reading through all the requirements.

I am a qualified librarian, and my partner is a qualified information technician with 7 years experience in the field. I have only now obtained my degree, and do not yet have any experience but I am very willing to learn and work hard. I've seen it mentioned that the IT sector is one of the most expanding sectors on Mauritius. But would there be work for a librarian? I am fluent in English and Afrikaans, but I unfortunately don't know French. I am very eager to learn, though. I am also willing to do a variety of jobs, if I cannot find something related to my qualification.

My main concern is that it seems foreigners are far less likely to be hired. I am afraid I'm bit at a loss as how to start, where to look for work, which sites to trust and how to get this process going.

We truly wish to move there and make Mauritius our home. We want to learn about the country, the people and the culture. It is a daunting process, and I would greatly appreciate advice and help. If any South Africans who moved to Mauritius read this, I could truly use the advice! :)

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

While it's true that your partner will have more chances of being hired than you, it's not exactly true to say foreigners are far less likely to get hired.

The thing is that as per the conditions for an Occupation Permit-Professional, an expat must bring in expertise and competency not available locally. As you rightly pointed out, the ICT sector is one which usually recruits highly qualified foreigners.
On the other hand it is also true that library jobs are not indexed for Occupation Permits. That's not to say it's not impossible.

However, there are many ways to work things out.
You can come as a dependent of your husband if he manages to secure a job until your find employment on your own.

That said, employment is not the only scheme if you want to live in Mauritius. You can invest money to set up your own business or you can opt for self-employment. Of course, the conditions and modalities are different and can come at a cost but definitely worth a try if employment does not work out.

Hi. How are you getting along?

Neeraj

Hello, for a qualified librarian, it might be worth taking a look at those private schools/colleges in Mauritius or even some Uni.

Cheers.