How to save money in Norway

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Norway? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Norway? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Prices are so expensive in Oslo that I naturally curb my spending habits...in addition not much product varieties to tempt me either.

Initially I do have a budget for grocery etc so that I don't overspend.  It also help me to gauge the prices in Oslo and compared when I go to Sweden borders to shop for grocery.

The best way to get best deal is to watch the behavior of sale in Norway.  Jan is the best time to shop for electrical items because they will be on sale.

June and July are summer sale so it is great to shop for clothes.

As for grocery, we use an app called mattibud, it helps to compile all the weekly promotion in each grocery stores.  Otherwise, we buy bulk from Sweden borders.

there is also an app called "too good to go"...which shows which store is selling their food very cheaply because it is almost end of their opening hours or close to food expiry dates.  Example bakeries selling away their daily breads cheaply etc.