Naturalisation and citizenship in Ireland

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Ireland? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Ireland? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Irish citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna,

Sorry, I am french citizen so i don't know process to become irish citizen.
Good luck in your research :)

Phung

My naturalisation process was more of a nightmare than anything. It took me nearly 10 years living and working and paying taxes to get naturalised. They were not clued up at all. The process has improved somewhat. I know you have to be 5 years working and living in the country continuously. THose are conditions that we had to meet. You have to proof legal residence if you come by any other way.
Not for the faint hearted.

Hi there,

It depends, a few years ago, if you where married for more than 3-5 years to an Irish citizen was it was enough. Nowadays there are fees to be paid plus I believe some course and test .

The dual nationality will depends from which country you are an original citizen.

The most obvious advantage is the right to vote for national elections, Of course if your country of origin is outside Europe the clear advantage is that once an Irish citizen you can then move everywhere in France, this is why the Irish citizenship process was abused a few years ago with the Belfast agreement, which included that each child born in Ireland would become an Irish citizen, that particular loophole has since been taken care of.

I am French married 20 years with an Irish citizen and have not applied for Irish citizenship, to my mind you are either one or the other :)

Hope this helps

Gilles

It can be a complicated process to become a citizen.  This website provides a lot of information...
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … tizenship/

As for dual citizenship, I don't think the Irish government has any requirements, but you should check with your country of origin's requirements.  Some insist you give up your birth citizenship if going to certain countries.

So if my husband stays outside of Ireland (and takes care of our daily expenses etc.) and my kids and I stay in Ireland.. will we be able to obtain the citizenship of Ireland like this??
Does this comes in Self Supporting??

You won't be able to stay in Ireland without the right permits/visa. What is your current country of origin? You need to check you don't need a visa to even go to Ireland. You need to prove you have lived in Ireland for the 5 years out of 9 years and a full year leading up to the application to become a Irish Citizen.

You need to have resided in Ireland 5 years out of 9 years and a full year leading up to your application, during this time you must also have had the right permits etc.
You can have dual citizenship also.
If your married to an Irish native then this process is slightly less complicated and not as lengthy.