Naturalisation and citizenship in Bahrain

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Bahrain? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Bahrain? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Bahraini citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Bahraini nationality law states who is a citizen of Bahrain. Foreigners are rarely given citizenship.

By Birth:  Children born to a foreign father who himself is born in Bahrain and has a Permanent Resident Permit or born to unknown parents are Bahraini citizens by birth

By Descent : Children born to a Bahraini father or an unknown or stateless father and Bahraini mother irrespective of the place of birth are Bahraini citizens by descent.

By Marriage : Foreign woman who marry a Bahraini man has right to Bahraini citizenship. If a Bahraini woman marries a foreign man she will lose her citizenship unless she wants to keep it. If she divorces and returns to country she has the right to citizenship.

source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahraini_nationality_law

Bahraini citizenship is available for some. You can apply for it if you have been living in the kingdom for a long period of time. And yes, you will have to drop your main nationality.

According to Bahraini Citizenship Act (last amended 1981) articles 4, 5 and 6 define the ways to obtain Bahrain citizenship:

Bahrainis by descent:
4. Anyone shall be regarded a Bahraini national, if:
(A) Was born in Bahrain after the effective date of this act and his father was a
Bahraini at the time of birth.
(B) Born outside Bahrain, after the effective date of this Act, and his father was a
Bahraini national at the time of birth provided that this father or the
grandfather was born in Bahrain.
(C) Born in Bahrain or abroad, after the effective date of this Act, and his
mother, at the time of birth was a Bahraini national provided that father was
unknown, without nationality or fatherhood was not substantiated.

Bahrainis by birth
5. A person shall be regarded Bahraini by birth if:
(A) Born in Bahrain, after the effective date of this Act, and his father was also
born in Bahrain and has made Bahrain his permanent residence, at the time of
birth of that person, provided, however, that this person is not holding another
nationality.
(B) Born in Bahrain, after the effective date of this Act, to unknown parents.
Illegal child shall be deemed to have been born in Bahrain, unless otherwise
has been proved.

Bahrainis by naturalization:
(1) The Bahraini Citizenship may be granted, by order from His Majesty the
     Governor, to any alien of full legal capacity, if requested by the alien who should
     meet the following requirements:
          (A) He has made Bahrain, his usual place of residence legally for at least twenty
               five consecutive years or fifteen years consecutively for Arab nationals,
               provided, however, that this period shall commences after the effective date
               of this act.
         (B) Shall be of good conduct
         (C) Must be conversant in Arabic.
         (D) Shall have a real estate in Bahrain registered in his name at the Land Registry
               Office of the Government of Bahrain.

(2) Notwithstanding, the above Bahraini citizenship may be granted to anyone, by
   order of His Majesty the Governor. Bahraini Citizenship may also be granted, by Order
   of His Majesty the Governor, to any Arab person, upon his request, if that person has
   rendered Bahrain great services.

(3) An alien who has obtained the citizenship of Bahrain by virtues of this article, shall
   not be entitled to voting rights, representation, nomination or appointment in local
   councils (except clubs and private associations), except after the lapse of ten years
   from date of acquiring the citizenship. This provision is applicable to persons, who
   have acquired the Bahraini nationality before the effective date of this Act and the ten
   years span, begins from the effective date of this Act.

(4) If a person is granted the citizenship of Bahrain by virtues of this article, his wife
   and minor children, shall be regarded Bahraini by naturalization, starting from the
   date of granting the nationality

Look herefor an abstract of the act

If u want bahrain citizenship means u want to get the government job in bahrain or else marrage here if ur a muslim or else the citizenship has not accuired

u must stay at least 10 years in Bahrain as a min

did you get any news that how they got bahraini citizenship?

Hi,I would like to asked,about my situation if the expat is from Philippines and she has a good boyfriend and he's willing to get married..What the first step could be considered...because,I am think to get marry my boyfriend,but I am new here in bahrain,.please give me your advice,I convert already in a  Muslim religion,and my boyfriend families is Pakistani but lives in Saudi,and my boyfriend was born here in bahrain 22yrs.now,please let me know...what I can do...thank you,

Sincerely,
Grace

Expatriate marriages in Bahrain

There are several expatriates getting married in Bahrain. Although a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man unless he converts into Islam, the reverse isn't the case.

However, it is said that non-Muslim women are often pressurized into converting and there have been instances of foreign women marrying Arabs and then discovering that the local culture and lifestyle are unacceptably restrictive. Women entering into such marriages should be aware that in the event of breakdown of such a union, the children are usually kept by the husband in his home country.

Expatriates can be married in Bahrain, but, the process is largely determined by the civil and religious requirements of their home country. Embassy and consulate staff may perform civil marriage ceremonies, provided, certain requirements are met. The Ministry of Justice in Bahrain may require an NOC from your embassy. However, your embassy may have its own regulations to obtain this. It is best to check with your embassy for up-to-date information on this.

If you wish to have a civil marriage in Bahrain, you will require an NOC from your Embassy and an NOC from your employer/sponsor to the Ministry of Justice in the Diplomatic Area.

Muslims can marry in the House of Judgement at the Ministry of Justice. In addition to the requirements above, you will require a letter from the father of the bride.

All other religious ceremonies can be arranged by contacting the relevant church or temple, although you will still require the above mentioned documents to conduct the civil aspect of the marriage.

Roman Catholics can marry at the Sacred Heart Church on Shaikh Isa al Khabeer Avenue and Anglicans at St. Christopher's Cathedral opposite the Police Fort.

There are two Hindu temples, one on the Manama Souk and the other dedicated to Goddess Durga, located in the desert beyond Alba, south of Sitra.

There are also three Sikh Gurudwaras in Bahrain. For a Hindu wedding, no court document is required. It doesn't have to take place in a temple, and can be performed anywhere.

The fee for an expatriate marriage will depend on your embassy charges, your nationality and on the amount charged by the institution carrying out the ceremony.

The marriage is then registered at the respective embassy.

Do not forget to register your Wedding to Philippine Embassy , DFA Manila and PSA Manila,   and Do the registration in Pakistan Embassy If he is a Pakistan Citizen