Journeyman Electrician

My husband and I are looking at moving from Calgary to Panama, he is a electrician. Would they hire a Canadian red seal electrician in Panama? If someone would kindly direct me on where I could find more information. I would be so grateful.

Thank you
Julie Sanoy

Hello Julie Sanoy and welcome to Expat.com :cheers:

While waiting for members living there to advise, I invite you to read related articles in our Living in Panama Expat guide.

Wishing you all the best in your expatriation project :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

JULES1000 wrote:

My husband and I are looking at moving from Calgary to Panama, he is a electrician. Would they hire a Canadian red seal electrician in Panama? If someone would kindly direct me on where I could find more information. I would be so grateful.

Thank you
Julie Sanoy

:)

Julie -

I know there are more knowledgeable folks to answer this, but this forum does not get a lot of attention and you seem too kind to be ignored! So, I'll give you my thoughts and will let others correct me.

I see three factors to evaluate:

LANGUAGE:

Is he fluent in Spanish?  Without an ability to read drawings and specifications and communicate with others, I cannot see how he can perform the duties of an electrician.

WAGES: 

The minimum wage in Panama is around USD 420 a month.  Assuming a skilled electrican  makes twice (or more) the minimum wage, or say as much as USD 1,200, that's not much for 45 hours a week work compared to Calgary.  The low wages are generally what might make it possible for North Americans to live a  less expensive lifestyle in Panama. 

WORK VISA:

Severe restrictions exist on non-Panamanians being hired by Panamanian firms.  This link to a lawfirm says there are  a number of ways to get a work visa, but each seems very narrow and would involve your husband first finding an employer willing to sponsor him through work visa process.  They are also trying to sell legal services and do not come with any recommendation whatsoever.  http://www.panama-offshore-services.com … permit.htm

I don't want you guys to give up on your dream, but am wondering whether six months in Calgary and six months in Panama might be an option for you.  He can make more as an electrician in Calgary in six months than he'd make in three years in Panama!  Good luck!