Employment in Panama

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding employment in Panama city. I will be 52 this year and I'm a high school teacher.
My degree is in technology and I teach computer science and ICT. Can anyone give me an idea about whether it would be difficult finding a job there?

Thanks in advance

Hi Matt Dall,

Your topic has been moved to the Panama forum.
Hopefully, some members will share their experience with you very soon.

Meanwhile, i would advise you to go through the various articles about working in Panama found in our expat guide.
Here is the link : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/central- … _work.html

Should you require any further information, please feel free to post all your questions here. We will do our best to help you.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Thank you, Priscilla.

So long as you are legally able to work in Panama, you should have no problem. You're a certified teacher in an "in-demand" subject.

Do you know where you want to live? My only teaching experience is in Panama City as an ESL teacher. It was easy for me to find work prior to the pandemic.

You have several options if you want to teach English as a native speaker. In addition, you're a certified teacher, you can teach in a private school, at Learning Centers, and you can tutor or start private classes.

During my time with a private learning center, I met teachers who worked in public schools and picked-up a night class for extra money.   The private school teachers I met socially didn't seem to need to moonlight.

ESL centers like Berlitz and English Learning Services have a wide pay scale difference. The range can be from about $8 an hour to $15.

When I was tutoring English I charged between $25-30 per hour. I worked as much as I wanted, which was nice. The downside was that I did have to market myself more and if you're not great at self-promotion, it's not easy.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it! I have no real interest in teaching English to be honest. My partner is from Panama; we live in Wales, UK. As soon as we're allowed (Covid restrictions) we're coming to live in Panama; we want to live in the area of Brisas del Golf.
I would really like to continue teaching computer science/ICT/technology if at all possible. However, I have been looking at jobs there and they have been recruiting for people, in my areas of work, between the ages of 28-47. I'm hardly too old yet ! :)
I would love any advice regarding these areas of teaching and my possibility of finding work out there.

Many thanks