Married to a UK citizen, what kind of visa do I need?

My wife and I have decided that we want to move Edinburgh soon, so that we can have children. My wife is a British citizen, I'm an Indian citizen, we got married in England two years ago. Unfortunately, the Indian government is still homophobic and won't recognise that we are married. We both live in Jaipur, and have done for the past six years.

We already know where we'll be living to begin with, and my wife's been offered a job by her friend that can start whenever we are ready, so we are all set to go, except me. I've just spent the past three hours trawling the visas section of the gov.uk website, and I still have no idea what kind of visa I need, if I even need one.

The 'what type of visa do I need' section has given me various options, including some kind of work visa, which I don't think is right, and 'joining a family member' which is closer to what I'm looking for, but I can only apply for that once my wife has moved back, but we want to move together.

Anybody know what I should actually be applying for?

You need a spousal visa that's one and two you and your wife will have to get married in your country.
I have no idea if you being married two years ago will be beneficial or not

Let me just say that the process is a very tedious and rather expensive one.

Thanks Deka876! I've been looking up spousal visa's, I can't find them on the gov.uk website, so I'm not sure how to apply? We also can't get married her in India, it's illegal, but Scotland has always accepted our marriage certificate before, so I don't see why they wouldn't now.

I'm okay with it being a slow and tedious process, it's the only way we are every going to be able to have children together.

hope things are fine n UK, please update on progress. spousal visa applicable?

nixodian wrote:

hope things are fine n UK, please update on progress. spousal visa applicable?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're asking questions in a 5-year-old thread and I suspect you won't get an answer.  The UK immigration system has recently been revised.  This link will take you to the UK Government website with the details of all the visas now available.

Once you've read those, if you have any further specific questions, you can search further within the Forum, or come back and create a new thread to ask.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team