Moving to Cyprus- Need some advice please.

Hi All,

I am currently living in Ireland but considering moving to Cyprus. I am looking to chat with locals to get a better understanding of current circumstances, Job opportunities and cost.

I will be reviewing previous comments but would love to any advise you have to offer.

Main concerns.

1. job opportunities
2.childcare ( for my son )
3. what one realistically needs to earn to cover cost of living and have a bit extra.

Thanks,
Craig

Hello craig.29 and welcome to Expat.com

What is your work expertise please?

I invite you to check out this thread : Cost of living in Cyprus – 2015

Browsing the forum by categories may also help you gather useful infos to better prepare your expatriation project.

Did you ever visit Cyprus before?

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hi Kenjee,

My area of expertise would be Banking and Store Manaagement. My downfall is only have the English language.

I have visit Cyprus before mainly Ayia Napa in my youth. It's beauty and weather is what has caused it to never leave my mind.

I did get to view the cost of living post it didn't mention anything about cost of crèches? The other cost I wine with the  these have not changed drastically since 2015.

From my calculation though in order for me to sustain economic s comfortable lifestyle for my family an income of 2000p/m would be required. Is this possible?

Craig

id say yes if you are careful and maybe a little frugal - that roughly our budget varies between €1600-2000 per month but there is only two of us but we do run a big rented house... and it includes everything  and i mean literally everything.... including going out for a few beers 2-3 times a week..... set up costs can be a pain at the start and a heavy cost to hit you and can cause a few alarm bells  - my advice is to bring as much stuff as you can with you.

Hi Toon,

Thank you. I am viewing this in the mind set that If we move that both off us will not be working straight away and that creche cost might be an issue.

Regards,
Craig

Virtually guaranteed that work wont be falling off trees for you,, make sure you come with at least 6 months cash under yer belt to support you and the family.

Hi Toon,

Yeah I am getting that vibe alright. Well plan A is to try get work through recruitment companies before heading over, I'll see how that goes before plan B.

Thanks,
Craig

its probably of little comfort to you but it is the same in Malta too... bets to be prepared for the worst case scenario. and plan to have an escape route plan if things dont work out. But with the right planning and a lot of forethought you should be ok

we moved to Malta with little more than 3 cases and a one ticket.. we went thru a bit of pain learning everything we had to - but it was fine..... so when we decided to ship out of Malta to come here 18months ago it wasnt so daunting.

The movement plan would not be for a few months so trying to do as much prep and gather as much knowledge as I can.

I like Malta too lovely scuba diving. Cyprus is the chose though.

id just say i wouldnt swap here for Malta ..... too small insular and xenophobic - and can be very difficult to obtain work

If you do an internet search 'employment in Cyprus' a list of recruitment agencies will come up and then enter the area you would like to live in and area of job expertise and take it from there. From your comments Limassol may be the best area for work.  Good Luck! we know people who have used these sites to find work since the beginning of the year.