My Dad

After years of visiting Honduras, my Dad finally made the leap and moved there about a month ago.  Unfortunately, the good friend who was to make the trip with him (and is a Honduras native) is stuck in Miami for an undetermined length of time.  My Dad is living with another friend, but is terribly bored, has no one to "hang out with", and is now considering coming home.  Are there meetings of American ex-pats in San Pedro Sula or nearby?  A club or group where he could make friends and maybe volunteer or work?  He is retired and on a VERY fixed income, but is charming and social.  His Spanish skills are passable.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thank you!

Hello Deafdog and welcome to Expat.com :)

Maybe the Network of Americans living in Hondura might help him making connections?

Or he might register with Expat.com! :)

Send him our best wishes.
Cheers
Arlette

Deafdog wrote:

After years of visiting Honduras, my Dad finally made the leap and moved there about a month ago.  Unfortunately, the good friend who was to make the trip with him (and is a Honduras native) is stuck in Miami for an undetermined length of time.  My Dad is living with another friend, but is terribly bored, has no one to "hang out with", and is now considering coming home.  Are there meetings of American ex-pats in San Pedro Sula or nearby?  A club or group where he could make friends and maybe volunteer or work?  He is retired and on a VERY fixed income, but is charming and social.  His Spanish skills are passable.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thank you!

I am in the same situation--retired and not yet living in Honduras but would love to move there.  This question is one that I have.  What is there to do there that would allow the opportunities to meet people and build up good social connections?

Hey!
I live in San Pedro too and I can offer a couple of suggestions.  I work at an international school and there are a lot of expats that work there.  Sometimes the school hosts events that other expats get involved in, like frisbee games and poker nights.  Volunteering or in some way getting involved with the school would provide a place to meet people.

There is a local bar in a neighborhood called Jardines del Valle, called the Doghouse that is owned by an American, a Canadian and a Brit, all in their mid 40s.  They host trivia nights on Thursdays and sometimes organize events, other expats sometimes attend.

Depending on what your interests are I would say there are definitely places to meet people.  If you are willing to learn Spanish the people here are very friendly and welcoming and eager to show you the city.  I have made lots of local friends since I have been here as well.

Hope this is in some way helpful to you.

Cheers

I've been coming to Honduras for over 9 years and been living here over 5 years straight in La Ceiba.

La Ceiba has alot of expats here and do meet and greet all the time.
So, the choice of location is important. I meet at least 2 new foreigners per day besides in my developments La Ceiba Beach Club