Hi from Honduras!

Hello everybody
I am new member of the Expat.com. I subscribed because I find it very important to support each other in handing out important information about living in another country.
I moved some months ago to Honduras. My husband is honduran. I am Swiss. We really like it here. the life is much more relaxed and not as stressful as in Switzerland. As well the weather is great...not foggy as in Switzerland :-) Everyday sunny...what a difference.
I would love getting in contact with expats in Honduras or people who are planning to move to Honduras.
Eliane

Welcome to Expat.com Eliane !

I moved your message to the Honduras forum

All the best,

Julien

Hello, my husband and I are wanting to obtain information about living in Honduras.  We're thinking of renting a place for a year to try it out.  Can anyone direct is to rental information and general information about living in Honduras?

Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine
Where in Honduras are you planning to stay? I am currently living in Tegucigalpa. I lived 6 months in San Pedro Sula as well. What kind of information are you interested in? I am glad to give you some information about Honduras.
Kind regards,
Eliane

Where is a nice, safe, interesting place to live?  We're planning on renting a place prior to buying and would like a fully furnished place.  Are furnished homes easy to find?  Would we need to purchase a car or is there public transportation? 

Thank you for the information.

Christine

well, the safest place to live is on the bay islands. wonderful place...
Honduras has 4 big cities...i know tegucigalpa and san pedro sula. it is said that San Pedro Sula is a dangerous city...well, when I lived there for 6 months a never made a bad experience. Tegucigalpa is much safer than San Pedro Sula...but you have to take care where you are going. I have heard in the news that La Ceiba (in the north of Honduras) is confronting more and more problems of insecurity. I have some friends in La Ceiba and they were never confronted with problems. It always depends a lot on yourself.
I definitely recommend you to buy a car. public transport is not very safe.
if you prefer to live in a small village....i would say that it is quite safe..however lacking of jobs.
it shouldnt be a problem to find a furnished appartment. it depends what you are looking for and where. I am currently renting an appartment in Tegucigalpa. it would also be possible for you to stay 1 or 2 weeks in a host family (or hotel) and try to find an appartment when you are here. you will get a better price here in Honduras. Host family could give you information which colonias are safe, etc. Let me know if you would like to know more. it is difficult to advice you without knowing where you would like to live in Honduras.
What is the reason for coming to Honduras?
Eliane

For someone interested in something more than moving to a big city in Honduras.... try La Ceiba. La Ceiba has much to offer including nightlife, shopping, affordable housing, beaches, mountains and more. La Ceiba is big enough to not need to travel unless needed. The Bay Islands including Roatan are right off the coast here. Foreigners get together throughout the week in various places.

Hi I am Claudia.. I am moving to Honduras (Tegucigalpa)  in 2 weeks... I am from Colombia and I would love to find new friends to share life whilst in Honduras...

Regards!

Hola Eliane,

I really enjoy, when I see people from other Contries, living in my beautiful "Honduras".

I left Honduras when I was only (20). Lived in the States, 39 yrs
retired from a company there, after 20 yrs working for it.

At the moment I'm enjoying my retirement home here in the South part of the Country. It is beautiful here. Like you mentioned, we have a beautiful weather,

I will travel to the States, the firts week of March.
I hope we keep in touch.

WELCOME TO MY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY "HONDURAS"

Warm Regards,

Alpina