Moving to Honduras sometime in 2018

Hello,

I will be moving to Honduras from the United States sometime this year. My fiance is from Honduras and we will be going to live in Tocoa Colon.

I have many logistical questions and hope others who are currently living there can give me some help.

Thank you,

Tammy

I have two lots in Development in El Pino for sale if you know somebody interested by any chance ??

I do not. Sorry.

Ask your questions here.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have heard that there are a number of American expats living along the northern coast.  I will be driving down and able to bring some things with me. Can you get Kuerig coffee cups in Honduras? I am worried about being stuck drinking instant coffee.

You may be able to find them in San Pedro Sula. I wouldn't worry at all lol about drinking instant coffee in Honduras. You will be pleased once you start shopping coffee 😎

Yay!  I mostly just wondered if I should bother to bring the machine.

There are many things that will change and I am up for it. I am trying to get a feel for what is available, even if I have to order it and have it shipped from somewhere else in Honduras. Or take a road trip quarterly.

Another example is a Samsung Xpress color laser printer. Even in the US I have to order the toner cartridges and have them shipped. I can't just go to Staples or Office Depot and pick them up. I would like to keep the printer but if I can't get the consumable items associated it with it, then there will no sense to bring it.

Since you can find directions to maintain and repair just about anything on Youtube I don't worry about servicing too much.

Tammi,

The first question I have is what is your husband's profession. Tocoa oh well! Best wishes! Be prepared for a whole new world if you have never been in Honduras before!!

I am not sure what it would be called in Honduras but he is very skilled in building and remodeling.

Be prepared as Honduras can be challenging! I do not know if you have ever lived in an impoverished nation prior.

No sir. But I will have work in the US that I can do remotely :)

You will find out how you feel here! Be careful please. I do not want to frighten you, but security is an issue. Do not go to isolated places, (including the beach), alone. Make sure that your house is secure and that you drink lots of water. Buy your food and clean your vegetables with some chlorine. Drink bottled water and take medicine for amoebas and parasites every six months. You will not be happy, if you are not feeling well.

Thank you! Great advice. I am also going to update my immunizations prior to leaving and get some anti-malarial medication. I have no plans to go anywhere alone. My fiance is citizen down there and his mother and sister live there also. So I will always be able to have someone with me for outings :)

Do you speak Spanish ? If not you may want to start learning now lol

Check with your doctor about your anti-malaria medication, as some suffer strong side effects. I do not know anyone who has gotten malaria in a long time, however better safe than sorry. I really hope that you enjoy your stay!!

Very true.  I have been lax about learning to speak Spanish even though I live on a ranch in Texas with many Hispanic families, friends, and workers. My excuse has been that it is better for my boss to have someone to speak English with every day. It has helped him very much. His kids will say to me, 'my dad said a new word today."  :)

He is very good about saying, 'what's that?,' when I use fancy words. I don't even realize I am doing it. I'm an avid reader so that is a side effect of that passion. 

I am sure that my Spanish will improve quickly once I am immersed in it down there. Very excited to be moving to the coast. I am from St. Louis, MO so I understand what it is like to live in a high crime area. It is not ideal but it certainly keeps you vigilant about watching your back.

Yes, I plan to go to the doctor for myself and I will need to take both of my dogs to the vet and get their paperwork in order as well.

I will be relocating to Honduras too in March 2019.   I have six months to prepare now.

Hi , just you guys talking about your plans to move there get me all jealous, I loved living there. Enjoy!! It's funny, I recently asked a friend to ask around for a very simple apartment for me to rent, and she found a simple little place for around 90 dollars a month...I love Honduras!!!