Deleting accounts

Hello Julien,

I have been a member here for a few years.  It has been a wonderful experience and I met several very nice people.  However, I feel the time has come to move on.  I am therefore requesting you to delete my account with immediate effect.

Many thanks.

Iftikhar.

Iftikhar57 wrote:

Hello Julien,

I have been a member here for a few years.  It has been a wonderful experience and I met several very nice people.  However, I feel the time has come to move on.  I am therefore requesting you to delete my account with immediate effect.

Many thanks.

Iftikhar.

To delete your account go to the bottom of this page,click on 'contact us' and take it from there.

delete my account

Aurthur wrote:

delete my account

To delete your account go to the bottom of this page, click on ' contact us' and fill out the form.

stumpy wrote:
Aurthur wrote:

delete my account

To delete your account go to the bottom of this page, click on ' contact us' and fill out the form.

He's been deleted, notice there is no linked avatar;)

It is baffling that the original post was made six and a half years ago, asking for a basic 'Delete Account' feature that is available on almost every respectable social media/networking/forum based website, and six and half years down the lane, the feature has still not been provided.

Jam9 wrote:

I wish it were easier to delete an account here and not have to dig everywhere to find how to do it (I had a couple of friends who had gone through that; I am happy here so please don't delete me!).

Hi

At the bottom of the webpage is a contact us option. Click that and it will give information about how to leave the site.

cloudyjimbo wrote:

Hey, can you please delete my account. This site isn't of value to me in my current circumstances. Thank you

We are sorry to hear that.

Could you please use this link in order to delete your account.

Thank you

filartp wrote:

please delete my account.

thank you in advance.

We are sorry to hear that.

Could you please use this link in order to delete your account. Saz that you wish to delete your account

Thank you

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Survey nit wrote:

Hi
Please delete my account because I am no longer use this account and also got complicated about my email address. Thanks

Read the responses above and follow the simple instructions given please

Why do you make everything so complicated, everyone should have the right to edit their own page and do not send a request every time! This is totally cumbersome and tired. Change name, email change, eccount delete everything is totally normal and easy in other social media..  :/:huh::sleep:joking:
It reminds me of the authorities in panama, for everything you need a request  :mad:

Accounts are not normally deleted as the number of members is important to would be advertisers advertisers!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Accounts are not normally deleted as the number of members is important to would be advertisers advertisers!

Ray

In that case, you must warn the user about this while they join Expat Blog. Otherwise, it amounts to breach of trust and cheating. I had similar difficulties.
Hope you don't continue to play the trick.

Kannadiga wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

In that case, you must warn the user about this while they join Expat Blog. Otherwise, it amounts to breach of trust and cheating. I had similar difficulties.

No one is cheating anyone, Have you read the Terms and Conditions of the site?

Ha ha - well many of the advertisers are insurance companies - so who cares if those companies believe their adverts are receiving lots of views when in fact very few people even notice them. Let them pay money out - they get enough money in, after all.......

SimCityAT wrote:
Kannadiga wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

I have read those conditions. But the comment mentions that accounts are "normally not deleted". What does it mean??
With written notice by the user, the account should be deleted immediately. have you mentioned in terms & conditions that a valid reason should be provided for unsubscribing or we need advertisers so we don't want to delete... and so on?
This is my opinion. I am not saying that you're cheating people.

Kannadiga wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
Kannadiga wrote:

I have read those conditions. But the comment mentions that accounts are "normally not deleted". What does it mean??
With written notice by the user, the account should be deleted immediately. have you mentioned in terms & conditions that a valid reason should be provided for unsubscribing or we need advertisers so we don't want to delete... and so on?
This is my opinion. I am not saying that you're cheating people.

Accounts ARE deleted upon request.  Maybe everyone should just relax, and remember you paid no membership fee to this site.

I do agree that the ability to delete/inactive your account should be in the users control via a simple button, as other sites offer.  The development team should take note and implement this.  Having to send an email via a generic contact page is not a good practice.

I agree with the present system for deleting your account by clicking on 'contact us' at the bottom of this page.

If there was to be a simple button one clicked to delete your account, then  what would happen if someone hacked in to your account and then deleted your account unbeknownst to you??

stumpy wrote:

I agree with the present system for deleting your account by clicking on 'contact us' at the bottom of this page.

If there was to be a simple button one clicked to delete your account, then  what would happen if someone hacked in to your account and then deleted your account unbeknownst to you??

This is easily handled by inactivating the account for a period of 7-30 days, where if the user logs in again the account is restored.  If they don't log in, the inactivated account is then automatically deleted.  If someone is concerned about their internet forum account being hacked, they can use the generic contact form to inquire. :)

Not really. I requested my account be deleted. An email was sent to me asking specifically why. I replied back and said that the forums are too over-moderated. That people are not allowed to share any personal information and so I don't get a lot out of it. They then undeleted a few threads in the forum (but still kept them locked) and never deleted my account. I've since gotten sucked back in because I get automatic email updates.

Maybe we should have a way to just deactivate the account, and if you do with delete the account you still send a message to HQ? Just like Facebook?

kojidae wrote:

That people are not allowed to share any personal information and so I don't get a lot out of it.

Not sharing personal information such as telephone numbers, social media accounts and so on, on a public forum is something I agree for 200 %

You'll never know who can read it and misuse it for their own bad interests. It is for your and everyone else safety not to display it.
If it is necessary you can do it through the pm system.
There are some cases with publishing telephone numbers on the forum and it went not well. And guess what?  They pointed the finger to the team of this site and prepared a law suit.
This site is world wide and active in all the countries with different laws, customs and culture. This alone is a huge task to deal with on a daily basis.

You can't get out of it as you wished.
Well, we have dedicated sections about the pages where you can add free ad with more specific details and information.

Primadonna wrote:
kojidae wrote:

That people are not allowed to share any personal information and so I don't get a lot out of it.

Not sharing personal information such as telephone numbers, social media accounts and so on, on a public forum is something I agree for 200 %

You'll never know who can read it and misuse it for their own bad interests. It is for your and everyone else safety not to display it.
If it is necessary you can do it through the pm system.
There are some cases with publishing telephone numbers on the forum and it went not well. And guess what?  They pointed the finger to the team of this site and prepared a law suit.
This site is world wide and active in all the countries with different laws, customs and culture. This alone is a huge task to deal with on a daily basis.

You can't get out of it as you wished.
Well, we have dedicated sections about the pages where you can add free ad with more specific details and information.

I am not referring to identifying information- but rather one person was asking social questions about how Bulgarian culture is, and shared her personal story with her Bulgarian husband and wanted to know if it was a cultural thing or just something about her husband. The mods shut it down because it was too personal they said.

Hello everyone,

I will try to shed the light on the few things you pointed out. Why do we ask members to send their requests (deletion of account) through the contact us form ?

An account with 0 post on the public forum can easily be deleted, normally if the member has not contributed on the forum, the account deletion is almost immediate. However, if the member has contributed to the open forum, we can not just delete the account along with all the posts as so many threads will be incoherent. We proceed by verifying the postings first then delete the account (with options like keeping the posts).

If members were given  a button to delete their accounts, we will not be able to monitor the inputs being deleted and the consequences.

However, we could work on a system which allows members having no post to delete their accounts but then again, there is an issue. No post on the forum doesn't mean no private message sent, and these private messages could be scams, fishing etc... Being able to deactivate an account could be a solution, till we verify.

Second issue : Over moderation.

Indeed a thread has been closed on the Bulgaria forum

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=665347

This thread had gone off-topic, so many unwelcomed comments were posted. We recommend members not to post their personal issues on the forum as this kind of thread are often created either by trolls or if the story is genuine, we get too many mails from initiators themselves, who after having posted on the open forum ask us to remove their threads as they don't want their personal matters to appear on google.

As unfair as it may seem to those who have contributed to these kind of threads, we have been removing so many threads like this one (on request) to preserve the personal life of the poster.

I hope that you can view these problems from our perspective and understand why we take such steps.

All the very best,
Bhavna

P.S @ kojidae, don't worry, someone from the Team will contact you asap.

Hi Julien,
Could you please delete my account? I'd be thankful for that!
Best,
mariel

My Account name is: MarielMoran

MarielMoran wrote:

Hi Julien,
Could you please delete my account? I'd be thankful for that!
Best,
mariel

My Account name is: MarielMoran

Hi Mariel

Please send a message HERE or to Contact Us found at the bottom of the page.

Thanks so much for your help..

To request an account to be deleted write to the Contact mailbox.

https://www.expat.com/en/contact.html

Hi there!

I would like to delete my expat.com account.

Thank you

Hanny

hannyle wrote:

Hi there!

I would like to delete my expat.com account.

Thank you

Hanny

Read post #68 on how to close your account.

Why don't delete yourself?

Keith18 - that is THE issue - accounts cannot be deleted except by expat.com

I see. Good to know that. Thanks Gravitas =)

please delete my account! its annoying it is not possible to delete your account yourself!

Rebli wrote:

please delete my account! its annoying it is not possible to delete your account yourself!

To delete your account go to the bottom of this page, click on 'contact us'
This is done to stop people from joining up, abusing the system and then deleting their accounts.

Fayah Dentor wrote:

Please delete my account I don't like it

Read post #78 and #79.

Just delete my account

someshpratap88 wrote:

Just delete my account

Please send a message to CONTACT US and ask for your account to be deleted.

Dear Julien!

Can I please request you to delete my account. Since I hardly ever use it, but I keep receiving requests from other members.

Thank you in advance!
Nina

To delete your account click on 'contact us' at the bottom of the page.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR