Hey

Hey all,
        I'm just dropping in to introduce myself. I'm Ben, 23 from Lancaster, UK and I'm relocating to Berlin this summer/autumn.

I'm totally in love with the city and figure there is no better time of life to up sticks and try life elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to learning the subtle nuances of expat life from you all!

:)

Welcome on board! :)

Hello Ben:

I too am moving to Berlin from Brooklyn NY in the very near future.  Good luck with your adventure, if you learn any useful information please do share.

Thanks,
almo

Hey, no worries, will do.

Let me know how you get along also.

good luck!

Alrite Mate,

I'm Mat. I am also moving to berlin at the end of the year. have you had any luck finding a job? is there much work vacancies on offer?

Hey Mat. Thought I'd had a bit of good fortune actually, but missed out on the bar job I thought I had because I don't start studying til next year. Seems they get a tax break of some kind if they take on students, so its preferable.

Bar/Restaurant/hostel work seems the best bet from what I can tell. I'm guessing it might be easier to land something once I get there anyway. Just go from place to place asking. I hear a lot of mixed reports about whats available and stuff but I figure if you're willing to do anything in the short term, then there will be work there and once you have something, no matter how crappy, you cna look at finding something better. Thats my plan at least.

So many people are talking about the high unemployment rates and stuff, but I wouldn't let it bother you. IF you look at the number of people 'out-of-work' .. how many of those are sick, injured, retired, studying, living off the state quite happily, or from wealthy backgrounds?

I'm confident work is there anywho.

Very best of luck to you mate. Keep me posted if you have any luck!

take care

Also, if you make it ok and all is good. Look me up for a celebratory beer. The more people I know, the better!

i am seriously debating berlin as well.

the forum doesnt seem to "hopping" though...

maybe not a popular place for expats?

i actually spent about 4 years of my life in england.

making new friends would be good.

also, dont know if you have seen this...

but it may be of use to you.
wg-gesucht.de/en/1-zimmer-wohnungen-in-Berlin.8.1.0.1.html

thanks man, I actually have a room fortunately. I'm moving to be with my partner, so we have a place together :)

We should definatly have a drink sometime and swap tips. Got a fewpromising leads for jobs actually, which given the negativity on these forums I wasn't expecting.

Hope all is going well for you man