Employment Visa Issue

Hi,

I've been offered a good position in one of the MSC registered company in KL.My employer got approval for EP from MDeC and asked me to apply for single entry visa to Malaysia in my country based on that approval.

I went straight to the embassy and the official demands me an approval letter from immigration and not from the MDeC. I asked my employer to provide me with the approval letter from immigration but they insist that they've been recruiting FKWs from many other countries with MDec approval letter and not the one from the immigration.

Finally, after a two long weeks of waiting, the xpats service from malaysia contacted the local embassy in my country requesting to receive my application and the local embassy contacted me asking me to apply with MDeC approval letter. Finally, I got a visa but the problem is they issued me a social visit single entry visa to KL.

My employer assured me they will apply for the endorsement of employement pass even though i possess a social visit visa but I am quite worried about it. As far as I know,The visa law forbids any one to take up an employment if they are under social visit visa in Malaysia. After a long andn tedious process I finally got the visa but I am not sure if I should travel to KL with that social visit visa. Can you guys suggest what I should do or should I even take up the offer?

Neronix

Hello Neronix.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks.

Karen :)

This is the norm process - provided that company is well recognition & reputed. In facts i went through the same painful though:( many years ago...

This is simply because of your job still under probation (i presume), at least minimum of 3 months probation? - just to be fair to the company (assuming its a global company), they wont simply provide you x number of years visa grant without seeing your true colors. make sense?

Note: If you're visiting on social or visit visa hence please make sure that you will carry a return ticket. You may discuss with your employer on the  recover process of your money or request HR officer to take care (at the airport) if in case any issues upon your arrivals since you're carrying one-way ticket under social or visit visa category when you enter to Malaysia very first time (obviously emigration officer will question you).

Anyways, the bottom line is if its a well known company (hire you directly), you don't need to worry at all.

This is my two cents.... Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Achi

Hi
Dont worry too much.. Thats standard procedure. Just make sure that your company processes your visa endorsement before the end of your social visit pass.
Cheers..!

Thanks a lot all.

Today, I went to the airport with my social visit visa but was denied entry for departure to KL despite having a two way ticket and sufficient funds to cover my expenses during that period.

I asked the immigration official what the problem was but they denied me any explanation and only said that my journey was suspicious.

I am fed up with this social visit pass for employment process. As a last resort, I will try to convince my employer to apply to immigration for temporary employer pass instead of sv pass, otherwise, i think i will have to deny their offer.

Can i still apply for another company if I have this approval letter from MDeC for the current company? If not, what should I do to cancel my current EP approval from MDec?

Thanks and regards,
Suraj

Rather than get at the employer, perhaps the Malaysian embassy can assist you and smooth the way forward?  Was it because the correspondence was in Malaysian language as they should not raise issues if you have a valid visa in your passport - Get the embassy first to help you.

Gravitas wrote:

Rather than get at the employer, perhaps the Malaysian embassy can assist you and smooth the way forward?  Was it because the correspondence was in Malaysian language as they should not raise issues if you have a valid visa in your passport - Get the embassy first to help you.

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, the correspondence was not a Malaysian one. He was from my country.

The deal is many people are taking up employments illegally when they go to visit through a social visit pass. The immigration officials want to reduce the number of such potential workers. While I am going to work over there once I get there but the process is not the right one, I guess.

I believe, my employer should apply to immigration for temporary employer pass which will allow me to enter malaysia and then go for the endorsement of EP. Instead, they ask me to enter through a social visit pass and go for the endorsement of EP once I get there. And since I am going through a SV pass, i cant even talk about taking up an employment there as i will be denied an entry on the spot.

This whole process seems wrong. My employer informed me today that they gonna discuss what can be done to remedy the current situation and get back to me ASAP. Lets hope for the best.

Necrid

By chance I found the following new procedures for Indian nationals seeking to come and work in Malaysia:

indianhighcommission.com.my/guidelines_workers1.html

Other relevant updates:

indianhighcommission.com.my/labourmatters.html

Hope everything is sorting itself out.

Hi

Is it necessary for 'Permisssion to work' stam on passport with Job offer. or there is any other wayout ??

No other way out Harpreet.  Otherwise there will be no stamp in the passport and the person will be working illegally unless they have an Employment Pass for Endrosement.  Remember that income tax has to be paid on any income as well - so the systems are connected.  It's not difficult, it just takes an application being made.

Please also be aware that the minimum age for a foreigner to qualify for an employment pass is 27 years old.

Employers who take on illegal staff will be fined RM20K - RM50K per offence - so there are not many who will take that chance.