Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

also, im confused do we apply at the PF in person first or do the online application for the viper, and CIE (someone please link me the online application for the CIE!), pay the GRU fees and then meet with the PF in person? also after i apply for the cie and viper and am approved, i can immediately apply for the blue working book?

do they need to be translated?

jland912 wrote:

Cheyenne,
The permanent visa RNE is forever but the CIE (card) expires every 10 years until you reach the age of 60 then it never expires.  As far as the new document to replace everything. I don't know about that. you will need to go to the Cartório with your apostilled documents from your marriage.

Jim

but what if im registering my marriage at the consulate in the U.S.?

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/estran … -casamento 

Read this. It should help. Be back later to answer any other questions.

Jim

The above has nothing to do with where you register the marriage. The RNE and CIE do not have different conditions depending on where the marriage was registered

You do the online application first. Print the copy. Make the appt online.  Pay the fees first. When you go to the PF. Essentially you will hand them a packet with all your paperwork in order. Then you sit and wait. Once they verify everything is good the spouse will get fingerprinted and will get the temporary document ( I am spacing out what it's called) then in I think 60 days ( they tell you how long) you come back and pick up your CIE. When I'm at my computer and not my cel I'll try to look up the link to the page for the forms.

so if i go to the consulate and register my marriage i do not have to register it again at a cartorio in brazil?

also, does my marriage certificate need to be translated for the PF? do i fill out the online app for the VIPER first/pay the GRU fees, or make an appt with the PF first?

after i'm approved i go to the PF in person and then apply for my CIE and work permit at the ministry of labor, correct?

philmoto85 wrote:

You do the online application first. Print the copy. Make the appt online.  Pay the fees first. When you go to the PF. Essentially you will hand them a packet with all your paperwork in order. Then you sit and wait. Once they verify everything is good the spouse will get fingerprinted and will get the temporary document ( I am spacing out what it's called) then in I think 60 days ( they tell you how long) you come back and pick up your CIE. When I'm at my computer and not my cel I'll try to look up the link to the page for the forms.

please ignore my previous post! THANK YOU!

Also please go back to original postings our dearly departed James compiled. They have most everything listed there. But feel free to keep asking clarifying questions. I did mine in Rio last year with the help of this forum. I had all my paperwork in order and had it processed on the first try.  It did take me a little while to get everything in order

YOU CAN DO IT :-)

Thank you! I've been so stressed out about the process, but this forum has helped me tremendously!

I'm guessing the answer is yes for the translation. I do need to get my marriage certificate that is apostilled translated by a Brazilian sworn translator after I arrive in Brazil before going to the PF? Do I need to get any other documents translated? I have a letter saying I never committed a crime given to me by the police officer in my town, but I think I just have to sign the PF declaration?

I'll try to send a better message later. I'm on my phone. Lol

Cheyenne

Every document required by the Cartório and the PF will need to be translated to Portuguese.  They will probably not take your police report they will have you sign a declaration that they have instead. Since you have take it anyway.

You will have to take your marriage documents to the cartório when you arrive in Brazil. do that before the visit to PF.

Earlier you asked about the work permit. You will be able to get it as soon as you get the protocol.

Jim

Also, would it look weird to immigration if I went to Brazil with a one way ticket on a tourist visa even though I am married to a Brazilian and am intending on applying for permanency there?

Cheyenne immigration in Brazil usually does not ask for a return ticket. If they do you just explain to them the situation.  Where you might have a problem is with the airlines in The USA. They may not allow it because if you are denied entry they would have to bring you back to the USA.  You only have to have an onward ticket out of Brazil to satisfy this. some people have said they just buy an onward bus ticket to a South American country and never use it.

Jim

That sounds good thanks! So the bus ticket out of Brazil is as good as a plane ticket?

Also I read that if you get married toa Brazilian in the us and then go to the consulate to register the marriage they give you a document basically for the cartório so you can get your Brazilian marriage certificate. Before I do this do I need to translate my American marriage certificate (the apostilled one) even though the Brazilian consulate will give me something in Portuguese? Also when I go to the PF I need to give them both the Portuguese marriage certificate and the English one translated??

Do permanent residents get a CPF?

Cheyenne

I'm still not sure if you need to register at the consulate with apostille but you will find out when you go there.  The document you get at the consulate will be in Portuguese.  Any document submitted to Cartório or PF will have to be in Portuguese. When we registered ours it was.

Jim

As soon as you file for Permanency you can get the CPF the work permit. You can drive on your foreign drivers' license for 6 months. Then it is easy to trade for a Brazilian one. Also get a SUS card. It for free healthcare.

My Advice is taking it a step at a time. 
Get the Marriage Authenticated at the Cartório.
Go to the PF for the permanency as soon after.
Then work on the other things.
We will always be here to help you with advice as you do each one.

Jim

Yes. You neeed to get the offical stamp on the original marriage certificate. An official copy you will give to them. And have them make a marriage document which is a separate document they will give to you. Find out the fees and make sure when you go to the consulate and have the correct form of payment. US Postal service money orders in the US

Thank you both! I will let you know when I'm through with the consulate in May and when I'm on my way to Brazil, finalmente :)

No , once you have submitted the marriage certificate in the USA and gotten the green document from the consulate you do not ned to translate or show the original certificate again, just pick up the Brazilian one at the Cartorio

Anyone can get a cpf, absolutley anyone

I just heard back from the consulate. All we need to do in Brazil is to "transcribe" it in a Cartório de 1o Ofício.

Edit: we don't a actually need to transcribe it for my permanent residency since we're doing it at the consulate !! we just need to give the PF the tranlated version of the us apostilled marriage certificate

2 more hours and we'll be exchanging vows. Finally.

Congrats!!!!! 🎊

Cheyenne

There will not be a copy of your marriage certificate at the Cartório until you give them one.

Jim

I Talked to the consulate and I'm getting conflicted information. One person said I don't need to register at the cartório for permanency. Another person said I do. I'm just going to register it at the consulate and then take it Brazil and give it to to the PF and see what they say. If anything I can call them when I get to Brazil to see if I need to transcribe it in a cartório before applying.

And I know they won't have one unless I give it to them. I didn't think they would have a copy otherwise

Cheyenne

Your marriage has to be registered at the Cartório whether you are going for permanency or not.  It is a required step for the marriage process. If the PF doesn't request it so be it. I am sure you will need it.

Jim

https://scontent.fssz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ … e=5988737D

Congratulations.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

have any of you bought tickets to go to brazil without going through rio, sao paulo or brasilia? i bought tickets last year to recifie from miami, but then they rerouted me to sao pualo probably bc i needed to go through immigration. im planning on buying my tickets soon and saw a fight that goes again from miami to recife with out going through rio, sao paulo, or brasilia, but am nervous to buy it bc they may reroute me again. i called American airlines but they couldn't answer my question.

Nope. São Paulo was my final destination when I came five years ago.

Does anyone here that's already here in Brazil and married to a Brazilian and has their residency know if having legal Brazilian residency makes it easier for the Brazilian spouse to get a tourist visa, or do I have to go through the bullshit to get her a "K" visa as my wife, even though we never plan on staying for more than a month or so?

I know the "K" visa for her as my wife will make it so we never have to worry about applying for a visa again, but the State Department assumes we will want to live their and wants me to prove that I have a job in the US that nets me a minimum of $25k a year, although I haven't set foot in the US since I left it June 20, 2012. Also, the "K" visa is a bit outside my pay range and takes too long. We want to visit in about 2 months, maybe a little less, because a friend of ours was just told by her doctors that the cancer has flared back up really badly and she probably has less than 3 months to live. My wife has only met her twice, but they became very good friends and we're both desperate to see her before she's gone. I've known her since 1971.

Mike

Nothing is easy. You should apply for a spousal visa.it will take about a year. Having Brazilian permanency will do nothing for the process.

Jim

Cheyenne

Coming into Brazil you go through Sao Paulo or Rio. It's just the way it is.

Jim

Thanks Jim. We'll have to try the tourist visa and hope. My friend isn't going to be around for a year and we need to visit with her before she's gone. And, like I said, it seems they want me to proof that I have a job in the US, not here, that nets me a minimum of $25k a year.

I lived in brazil for awhile and have a permanet residency because of my job. I am getting married to a brazilian outside of brazil and currently live outside of the country.

I am wondering what the procedure would be for rne. do i let the first expire then apply under my husband? should i do it right away? Do i need to be in brazil to do this?

thanks
travelchick

I would contact the consulate or embassy closest to where you are now and ask. I'm sure that you'll have to go to the PF and switch things over when you come back to Brazil, though, but you can most likely get the process started where you are now after you get married.

Travelchicky.

Was it a work visa or an actual permanent visa?

How long have you been out of Brazil?

Jim

it was a work visa that gave me an rne til 2023. i left in june 2016.

thanks,
kris